SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vintage Camper. Is There Such A Thing?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vintage Camper. Is There Such A Thing? Login/Join 
Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted
I'm actually looking for a crappy old camper in the hundred or two dollar range to plop in the woods and never drive it. It doesn't ever have to be road worthy, I can transport it with another trailer.
So I come across This Craigslist Camper. Who the heck thinks someone will pay more than a hundred for that? Sure I know there is a rare 'vintage' crowd but it's only worth the effort you put into it. Note - no title!

I texted him and asked if he accidentally put an extra zero on the price. He didn't answer. Am I nuts? I think even a car of that vintage with no title wouldn't have much value.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That thing looks like a POS, but really nice vintage campers in good condition do bring decent money. I've seen trailers in the $500-1000 range that fit what you are looking for, so keep digging. You might also post a Wanted ad . You never know, you may find somebody who just wants one hauled away.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That doesn't appear as if it is road worthy for a short haul no less habitable. Good luck!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I was speaking with a sawmill operator a bit southwest of there. Deep accent. Real Pennsylvanian. May buy some rough cut oak off them for a beer keg slide.

As far as the trailer goes, I'd make sure the seller actually owns it. A salvager should be able to set you up for a few hundred dollars.

posted Hide Post
I know three hunters that chose to do the same thing, all spent over $1,000.00.

all were broken in too and trashed by idiots,within 10 months.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That seller is really swinging for the fences. Nomads can have some value to the vintage crowd, but that one is a total POS. he is dreaming.

Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
... trashed by idiots,within 10 months.

That is a slight concern but this is a small private property surrounded by commercial apple orchards. And I only want to invest a couple hundred.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt_jr:
quote:

That is a slight concern but this is a small private property surrounded by commercial apple orchards. And I only want to invest a couple hundred.

Booby Trap heh heh heh

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Bud sticker really classes it up. That alone makes it a $1500 rolling palace.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Also it probably comes with free mice if it has been setting for that many years. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I'll bet there is a hooker inside chained to the wall with duct tape over her mouth.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt_jr:
quote:

You can't get anything for a couple hundred these days. I'd say get half a semi container and turn it into a camper, locks up secure, and depending on what windows you put in it can be secure too......these you can get for your price, then you can build it out anyway you want.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
you can't get a decent tent for a couple hundred.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Report This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
For posterity ...

No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
Truthfully, you're both a little nuts. You're nuts if you think you're going to find anything that doesn't leak for $100 or so, and he is out of his mind thinks no that thing is worth $1500. If it doesn't leak, probably worth about $500. Fixed up right, easily worth $5K or so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Might be better off with a couple hundred bucks of plywood and 2x4s.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another idea is to buy an old school bus!!!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I knew I'd seen one on my CL recently too. $1700, but cooler!

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tro/6015492101.html

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
There is quite a large group of "campers" in this country who pay MAJOR bucks for campers like the one you have pictured. Oftentimes they haul them home, completely disassemble them & rebuild them, and then proudly haul them to rallies for other vintage collectors to drool over. The one you have shown appears to me to be along the lines of a "Scotty" trailer, VERY popular in the fifties and much sought after these days by collectors. IF it is a "Scotty" then there is one thing obviously missing that collectors pay huge bucks for - and that is the "wings" that would have been on the upper left of the camper in the picture. Originally, these were made of sheet metal and are highly prized today. In fact, IF you can find a Scotty that still has its wings, then you will REALLY pay big bucks for that. They will typically add several hundred dollars to the cost of that trailer - maybe even a couple thousand. I KNOW it sounds crazy... and I like you would NOT pay anywhere close to what he's asking... but there are those who would. Just ask my in-laws how I know.... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
How about a cargo box off a truck? But I'm with the rest of the guys, I don't think you'll find what you want for your budget.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Report This Post