SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooks and Chefs, how do you get the water out of the interior of your hollow pasta? (UPDATE, page two)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooks and Chefs, how do you get the water out of the interior of your hollow pasta? (UPDATE, page two) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Have you considered just adding an ounce less water to your sauces?

If not Shugart's solution sounds effective albeit a little time consuming.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just put your lips together and blow
- Lauren Bacall

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Food dehydrator

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zingo:
Food dehydrator
For the win!!!

I'm chuckling picturing someone boiling water, adding dried pasta, cooking the dried pasta, then putting cooked pasta into food dehydrator, and ending up with dried pasta again.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I just shake it around in a colander.

^^^ This.

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The pasta dishes with ziti, rigatoni, elbows, and other 'tube noodles' were cooked as directed in the recipes but the sauces would be soupy or runny on the plate when served. It finally occurred to me that the interior of the noodles was holding water even after draining and vigorous shaking in the collander (hydrogen bonding, entropy, and such). So I bought a second collander, a clamp, and an electric air compressor. Now when I drain the pasta I trap the noodles in the two collanders and blow compressed air in through a slit. The pressure differential ensures that the water in the interior of the noodles is blown out. Sauce is perfect everytime.

It's starch water, so it really shouldn't be thinning sauce out too much. People often put that starch water INTO sauces to thicken it up.

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you're "rinsing" your cooked pasta after you strain it in a colander before saucing, you're committing a YUUUUUGE faux pas in the eyes of your resident Italians. Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hair dryer.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anglertoo
posted Hide Post
April Fooled all!

“To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Posts: 177 | Location: North Central Connecticut | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To echo what @Hawkins wrote, when straining your pasta, keep some of the water you cooked it in, and add it to your sauce. This can help keep it a little thicker (helps the water and oil from separating).

Mm, pasta.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Patch on a cleaning rod

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Patch on a cleaning rod

I take back what i said. This is the correct answer.

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins:
quote:
Patch on a cleaning rod

I take back what i said. This is the correct answer.

Hoppes....

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Why the feeling that you need to get rid of the water?
My Italian wife says you're supposed to keep a little of the water with the pasta - it adds to the flavor.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
What? Realistically, just drop the pasta into a centrifuge and give it a spin.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute...you can slay Agapanthus but you can’t get the water out of your pasta?

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you post a photo of this contraption?

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Can you post a photo of this contraption?

Alas, no photo is available. The OP was indeed an April 1st funny. Thank you everyone for your responses both humorous and serious. I hope that this has provided us all with an education and comic relief. Q-tips, pipe cleaners, cleaning rods, hair dryers, dehydrators, and Damp Rid will remain for special consideration if the need arises. I wish you all, SF, a great year and a touch of amnesia.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post