SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooks and Chefs, how do you get the water out of the interior of your hollow pasta? (UPDATE, page two)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooks and Chefs, how do you get the water out of the interior of your hollow pasta? (UPDATE, page two) Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
The pasta dishes with ziti, rigatoni, elbows, and other 'tube noodles' were cooked as directed in the recipes but the sauces would be soupy or runny on the plate when served. It finally occurred to me that the interior of the noodles was holding water even after draining and vigorous shaking in the collander (hydrogen bonding, entropy, and such). So I bought a second collander, a clamp, and an electric air compressor. Now when I drain the pasta I trap the noodles in the two collanders and blow compressed air in through a slit. The pressure differential ensures that the water in the interior of the noodles is blown out. Sauce is perfect everytime.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Much lower tech than you, but I use a large salad spinner.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Not to be flippant, but I don't. Everything seems to turn out fine and not too watery.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

This.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:

This here as well...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I use a q-tip.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Pipe cleaners here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Pipe cleaners here.

Big Grin

Personally I just pour my noodles into a large colander and after the water mostly drains out, shake the noodles a few times. That’s about it....never had a problem.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I syringe each and every one out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the biggest problem with spaghetti, the holes are just too small.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just shake it around in a colander but your dedication is admirable.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Canned air or I take the noodles to the tire pump at the gas station.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Air compressor and blower nozzle.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Always check the spinner first. Your gal may have left a hand-washed unmentionable in it by mistake. Wink

My mom cooks it al dente ahead of time and lets it sit in a colander. Then heats it back up / finishes it in the gravy.

I have more of an issue with washed chicken going on the grill, dripping water onto the coals. Maybe a colander is the answer?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I scream at it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Leaf Blower works pretty good.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Pipe cleaners here.

Big Grin

Personally I just pour my noodles into a large colander and after the water mostly drains out, shake the noodles a few times. That’s about it....never had a problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This has worked perfect for me for 65 years.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Cook it less. If you're using a strainer and shaking the excess, the pasta will suck up the remnants.

There are two levels of doneness to pasta, Al dente and trash can.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9689 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I put mine in the dryer, about 3 minutes on low heat tumble.

Helpful hint, put the pasta in your wife's little mesh delicates bag. Makes it much easier to get out of the dryer.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I blow through them and take a small bite off each one to ensure there done.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post