SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1999 ES300 brake fluid recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1999 ES300 brake fluid recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I noticed the stopping efficacy of my 99 ES300!is much lower than I’m used to. Also, brake fade was much more evident.

I checked the fluid and it’s black. Not sure if the pads have life but the reservoir is still full.

It’s factory fluid. Is there a different fluid you guys recommend that would be more resistant to turning black? Synthetic?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You don't need synthetic, you just need fresh fluid. Of course almost all is now synthetic. Not as much in the reservoir as throughout the lines and especially at the calipers, but it will all be fresh with a proper flush. Use the fluid type and rating recommended for your car, which will take into account lines and seals.

While you're checking your pads consider rotors as well. Pretty cheap to replace rotors if replacing pads.

For that old a car I'd replace the reservoir cap with another OEM one as well. Glycol fluid is incredibly hydroscopic, and you need a good seal. OF course synthetic absorbs air, same answer.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Flush it with DOT 4. Most manufacturers recommend a complete flush every 2-3 years regardless of mileage. I figure most cars on the road have never even been flushed once.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't need synthetic, you just need fresh fluid. Of course almost all is now synthetic. Not as much in the reservoir as throughout the lines and especially at the calipers, but it will all be fresh with a proper flush. Use the fluid type and rating recommended for your car, which will take into account lines and seals.

Thanks!! Okay, I'll continue to use factory fluid then. I was thinking about using something a little more durable / longer lasting / doesn't need checking because I'm planning to give the car to my parents. But if factory fluid is best indicated, I'll stick w/ that.

In my experience, at least for my cars, rotors now get changed with pads. I've found that the rotors don't last the through the second set of pads. But good reminder.

I'll pick up a reservoir cap and maybe a new gas cap as well (car threw a P0440?) recently. It's gone now but....

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
A lot of what's on the shelf these days is synthetic whether it's DOT3 or DOT4. Most folks recommend against mixing synthetic and non, but it sounds like you need a complete thorough flush so running synthetic through the entire system will be fine.

As Surge noted, this should be a part of regular maintenance but few people worry with it until their expensive calipers start to rust up from the inside out. We had a thread here last year where many suggested bleeding was a waste of time, they'd do it only when replacing calipers, etc. Roll Eyes

It's cheap insurance for a car if you plan to keep it long term as many of us have to do.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea. I'm obviously past due but the fluid was flushed when I last changed the pads/rotors (but not sure when that was).

I should check more often. I only checked now because the pedal seems to be soft and goes down to the floor much easier than I remember (it was the car my wife had been driving). And there is uncomfortable brake fade. I hate brake fade.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Has the car been driven weekly or has it been sitting?

I would flush the brake fluid. Check your manual but any DOT 3 or DOT 4 should be fine. Brake fluid absorbs water and a '99 with original fluid would benefit from a change.

It may or may not help the brake fade. Lots of other things could be going on. Are the pads, rotors, and calibers in good shape?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may or may not help the brake fade. Lots of other things could be going on. Are the pads, rotors, and calibers in good shape?

Thanks. Will be at least flushing the fluid. Will check pads/rotors too. The fluid gets changed very pad / rotor change (every 40K miles or so?). But that's actually about every 4 years....

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I only checked now because the pedal seems to be soft and goes down to the floor much easier than I remember (it was the car my wife had been driving)”

If the pedal goes to the floor you have worse problems than black fluid, in my experience. You probably have a bad master cylinder.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I may have exaggerated a bit but perhaps not. Will be having the brake system checked out on Monday.