SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    motion activated lights - mr beam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

motion activated lights - mr beam Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
I need a motion activated light for the garage, whose light went out and a bulb change wouldn't fix. Saw the Mr Beam lights and if not for the C and D cells, would have jumped on one.

Anyone use these Mr Beam lights with C or D cells, and if so, how long do the batteries last? I figure mine would get used several times a day for one to a few minutes each time.

Wish they used 18650 batteries.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you have an existing lighting and it is switched, I would recommend a infrared/motion sensor switch.

About $20-30 and about 15 minutes to replace and adjust.

Most will range from 15 seconds to 30 minutes after vacating the area for the light to shut off.

Then your not having to mess with batteries.

Unless you are looking for a secondary light.

Edited...

(...whose light went out and a bulb change wouldn't fix...)

Ah...

I misunderstood this to be a Mr. Beam light that went bad, but realised after re-reading your OP, that you are talking about the wired fixture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a single bulb Mr. Beam that uses 3 C cell batteries. It gets used once a day (that I know of in the dark) when I leave for work. I have it in the area where you approach the gate to my backyard.
The batteries last about 1 year for me using alkaline. I am going to try lithium after these die.
I think I will be getting a coulple more but the ones with more bulbs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the Mr Beams lights. They are used 5-6 times per day in the summer and more in the winter months. The battery life is really good on them - probably 6-8 months on a set of alkaline D cells.

I use them primarily to light up the doorway if I come home and the outside lights are not on.

I positioned mine so that the outside lights light the area where the Mr Beams light is. That way if the lights are on the Mr B light doesn't even come on.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Like f2, thanks as well for the comments. Think I will order these for around my house since we have been having problems with a prowler. I like the fact that they all will come on if one is tripped.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone use these Mr Beam lights with C or D cells

I have used both and had no luck with any of them. I don't think they lasted over a few months before they stopped working. I have hard wired lighting now.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I put one up right before Thanksgiving 2016, as an expedient yard light source at the cabin. It was a D cell model. Surprisingly bright and still running on the original set of batteries, which I guess I should probably replace.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldfireguy:
I have used both and had no luck with any of them. I don't think they lasted over a few months before they stopped working. I have hard wired lighting now.
Were these inside or outside?
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I put one up right before Thanksgiving 2016, as an expedient yard light source at the cabin. It was a D cell model. Surprisingly bright and still running on the original set of batteries, which I guess I should probably replace.
Nice!