SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Pour-Over Coffee Maker? Switching From A Keurig
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pour-Over Coffee Maker? Switching From A Keurig Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE36GLQ

And I use a kettle to heat a quart of water in like 2 mins...excellent coffee

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7OL9ZW

quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Have you considered a French press?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
We have 3 or 4 Hario glass drippers. They are well made and inexpensive. Get a gooseneck and a good burr grinder and make some of the best coffee you've ever had.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Aerobie...1&smid=A5948IO45UAV1

I have one of these and it works great for single cups. You can make double espresso or americano style very easily.

Best of luck,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
We have 3 or 4 Hario glass drippers. They are well made and inexpensive. Get a gooseneck and a good burr grinder and make some of the best coffee you've ever had.

When I make pourover coffee (usually I do French press), I use a Hario V60 ceramic dripper.

The Hario glass or ceramic drippers seem to be what I mostly see coffee shops that do pourovers using.

The Hario drippers come in multiple sizes depending on how much coffee you want to make, from one cup to pretty big. Hario also makes very good paper filters for the various sizes.

(Not my picture - in this picture he's using a Hario kettle, as well.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
https://www.amazon.com/Aerobie...1&smid=A5948IO45UAV1

I have one of these and it works great for single cups. You can make double espresso or americano style very easily.

Best of luck,

Mike

The Aeropress is my favorite way to make coffee nowadays. We have two Bodum French Presses and a couple of Melitta cones that still get used every once in a while, but since we got the Aeropress, it definitely gets the most use. We have a cheap electric kettle for heating the water. We drink a lot of tea too, so the electric kettle comes in handy.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Have you considered a French press?

No, not really. I had one years ago and while I like the coffee, It was too much of a PITA to clean each time.

quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
We have a cheap electric kettle for heating the water.

Would an electric kettle be better/quicker/more efficient than using a regular kettle on an electric stove which is what I have now? We just got natural gas so I will be going with a gas range someday, but for now it's electric.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
We have a cheap electric kettle for heating the water.

Would an electric kettle be better/quicker/more efficient than using a regular kettle on an electric stove which is what I have now? We just got natural gas so I will be going with a gas range someday, but for now it's electric.

Every electric kettle we've had over the years has heated water a little quicker than using a kettle on our electric stove. Electric kettles also shutoff automatically when the water starts to boil, so you can turn them on and walk away if you need to.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Every electric kettle we've had over the years has heated water a little quicker than using a kettle on our electric stove. Electric kettles also shutoff automatically when the water starts to boil, so you can turn them on and walk away if you need to.

Electric kettle is definitely the way to go for heating water. And I'd recommend splurging on the little more expensive model that allows you to see and set the temperature that you want. You could also set it on a timer so that the water is hot and ready to go when you wake up in the morning.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
The other option is the Moccamaster Cup-One. It makes a fantastic single cup of coffee. I believe its as close to the pour over you can get but much much easier. I fresh grind each cup and it’s the best coffee maker I have ever had.

https://us.moccamaster.com/cup...polished-silver.html

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite for the style you're asking about:

Clever Coffee Dripper

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-...Ounces/dp/B00EOM5RN0

https://www.sweetmarias.com/cl...dripperpictorial.php

"The Clever Coffee Dripper combines the best features of French press and filter drip brewing, eliminating the drawbacks of each. With French press brewing, you can control steeping or infusion time, but heat loss and sediment in the cup can be a problem. Brewing with a paper filter is easy and convenient; the problem is lack of control over steeping time (i.e. the coffee begins to drain immediately). By adding a stopper to a filtercone, the Clever Coffee Dripper combines control over steeping time with a sediment-free cup."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chemex user for several years. Hard to beat it.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
The Aeropress makes a nice single cup, plus you can take it along when traveling.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless steel one similar to this one (mine is no longer available).

I, too, wanted to stay away from the plastic and have something that I can use with or without paper filters should filters ever become unavailable.

Works like a charm.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
Just as important as the coffee maker is a good grinder as mentioned once already. I highly recommend one of the entry models made by Baratza. The Encore is an excellent grinder. I have one myself and I can’t believe at how consistent the grind is.

I got one for my daughter. For the money it’s great. My only beef is it’s very loud, like wake everyone in the house loud.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, guys.

I decided to go with the following:

Kalita Wave 155 (smaller one perfect for me)

Hamilton Beach Electric Gooseneck Kettle

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Secrets to the Perfect Cup of Coffee (Consumer Reports)

Scroll down to "Battle of the Brews" to see their take on the differences between the different brewing methods.

We use an AeroPress and absolutely love it. Wife just picked up a backup that was on clearance at a local store.

I think the next time we go on vacation, pre-ground coffee and the AeroPress is going with us.

BTW: On Amazon they have metal mesh filters for the AeroPress. I use one, just as I did with our drip brewer, because that preserves the coffee oils, making for a somewhat more complex taste and a more velvety mouth feel.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post