SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Pour-Over Coffee Maker? Switching From A Keurig
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pour-Over Coffee Maker? Switching From A Keurig Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’m on my third or fourth Keurig in about 10 years and the latest one just crapped out on me and I’m done.

I would like to switch to a pour-over coffee maker as I only need/want to make one cup at a time. The wife doesn’t really drink it and I hate wasting coffee in a regular drip coffee maker.

The Bodum pour-over makers look good and have pretty good reviews, but I thought I’d check here first.

Thanks!

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Chemex is popular.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
For best results, have a 17/1 weight ratio o water to coffee regardless of the pour over method. Wet the grounds with a little hot water and wait 20-30 seconds-ish. Then, pour it over. Fantastic taste and far less bitter.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Chemex is probably the best pour over maker. I quite like mine.

What I use the most now though is a coffee machine made by Ninja. It can make a single cup of coffee, a travel size, a half a pot, and a full pot, and it does it using regular coffee grinds. It makes an excellent single cup of coffee. I'll never go back to a keurig for the home.

The model I have is a bare bones one without the frother.

https://www.ninjakitchen.com/coffee-makers/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Chemex is popular.

Chemex user here. Their filters are great, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son bought me this for Christmas last year and I am in love with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Large-F...s=french+press&psc=1

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Get a Melitta cone filter. Around $5.00 for the cone filter holder, couple bucks for a pack of #2 filters. You've already got a cup. Utterly simple, cheap, great product.

Easily availBle in many grocery stores in the coffee filter area, or Amazon. Amazon is a couple bucks higher than my grocery store, but hey, it's under $10 at Amazon. You can get just the cone filter, or another package with it and a cup, etc.

I've had one for 10 years or so. I love my Technivorm, and still keep and occasionally use my Melitta Pour over. I also have a Chemex, but if you break the glass you're out of business. Nothing really to break on the Melitta, it's just a plastic cone.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
This is what I've been using for a couple years now with good results.

bonmac cone

This is what they use at my local coffee shop.
clever coffee

It's kind of a mix between pour over and french press. The coffee is allowed to steep for a bit.

If you don't already have one get a burr grinder too!

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you asked about pour over but I feel compelled to let you know that Technivorm also makes a single cup coffee maker. In case you might be interested in that...mainly because it’s not as complex to make a cup of coffee.

Just as important as the coffee maker is a good grinder as mentioned once already. I highly recommend one of the entry models made by Baratza. The Encore is an excellent grinder. I have one myself and I can’t believe at how consistent the grind is. The Virtuoso is one step higher but is really only necessary if you’re interested in a better espresso grind. Regardless of which coffee maker you go with you gotta get a good grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n...8&crid=2DC5UK356930V

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
have had pretty good luck with Cuisinart in our classroom

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a French press?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Get a Melitta cone filter.

+1 No counter space, easy, cheap, disposable. 25 years +

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

The Melitta is great. I use it when I'm camping.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

What I use the most now though is a coffee machine made by Ninja. It can make a single cup of coffee, a travel size, a half a pot, and a full pot, and it does it using regular coffee grinds. It makes an excellent single cup of coffee. I'll never go back to a keurig for the home.

When they don't tell you the price I know I can't afford it. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I use their ceramic cone since I prefer to avoid the plastic.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I would go with the Technivorm as it is at least semi automated and will make the cup of coffee while you do a couple other things, the taste is excellent. If you choose to go with a Mellita, Chemex or other manual pour over get a Bonavita pot with the spindly looking pour spout. It quickly boils the water to a preset temperature and makes it easy to do controlled pours over the brewing device. If you go manual pour over, plan on spending three to five minutes tending the device to get your cup of morning elixir. If you do not want to mess around with this somewhat fiddly procedure, get the Technivorm. Either of these routes will yield far better tasting coffee than the Keurig on its' best day.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Used a Melitta for many years, back when I drank coffee.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:

When they don't tell you the price I know I can't afford it. Big Grin

Ha! Yeah, those fancy models with the frother and whatnot are a little pricey. I bought my ninja coffee maker at Walmart for under $100. Still pricey though relatively.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I use their ceramic cone since I prefer to avoid the plastic.

Ah, you know what, I take it back. It's not the Melitta that I use. It's the Kalita wave. Mine is stainless steel.

Kalita Wave 185 Drippers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...cp_taa_xDSCBbTH4G8BB

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The Technivorm is in the basement, gathering dust. It is a Randwyck pour-over cone now with #2 filters. Every morning 400ml of water is poured into an empty kettle and placed atop the hob. At boiling (90 seconds), the water is slowly introduced upon a super-heaping tablespoon of grounds. There is no faster or more satisfying cup of coffee anywhere without using a $4,000 machine.

I'm not sure if my particular cone is made anymore, but the closest thing I find is "HIC Coffee Filter Cone, Black, Number 1 Size, Brews to 2 Cups"

HIC, Harold Import Company, reports this morning their product is made in Holland, and it looks identical to mine. Ten bucks, but it will last forever. I use the $2/100 Trader Joe #2 filters.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post