SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Before I buy a lawnmower lift ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Before I buy a lawnmower lift ... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
How do you guys lift your lawn mower to swap out your blades? I used to tip it up on its side to change the blades but I don't want to do that anymore creates more problems than it solves. It is a mid-size conventional lawn tractor Husqvarna. Any ideas or alternatives to buying a lawn mower lift greatly appreciated thanks.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For my 52" TurfTiger, I can fit a floor jack under the discharge on the side of the cutter deck, so I lift it that way and use tall jack stands to hold it under the front caster arms.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I use a chain fall I bought at HFright for under $50. I just hook the chain under the front or back and lift as far as I need. A 2x4 or 2 works fine for a cross beam since your not putting a lot of weight on it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I tilt it on its side. Confused

What kinda juggernauts are you fellas using for your lawn?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Rolling floor jack under the front skid plate gives me enough room to remove blades.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
I still have an old Craftsman conventional rider that (made by AYP just like Husqvarna)I use for a few places where it isn't a good idea to use the zero turn. I just pull the deck off to change/sharpen blades. It only takes a couple minutes to get it off .... release the belt tensioner, pull the belt off the engine pulley, pull the 5 pins that hold the deck up under it, and slide the deck out from under it.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Floor jack under the front frame

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*shrug* When I had a John Deere STX-38 I used to simply raise the deck all the way, lay on the floor, clamp a small piece of wood to the inside of the deck to stop the blades moving, reach under there and and do it.

Was easy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*shrug* When I had a John Deere STX-38 I used to simply raise the deck all the way, lay on the floor, clamp a small piece of wood to the inside of the deck to stop the blades moving, reach under there and and do it.

Was easy.

On my Toro 42" zero turn as well. Alternately, I have some 4x4 posts that I cut at an angle and use for ramps fro the front wheels if I want more room.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Was easy.

If his Husky is like my Craftsman, the deck doesn't really raise up high enough to do that. It was a pretty lousy design since the highest deck position is almost the height you want to be mowing at.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Cub has an easy to remove deck, so that's what I do for cleaning and for any maintenance.

Had an old Craftsmen that you could pick up the front end and stand it straight up and rest it on the back of the seat. Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my 61" Turf Tiger I just drive the front casters up on a set of vehicle ramps.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Why not just pull it partially on to some oil change ramps, then chock the wheels?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Why not just pull it partially on to some oil change ramps, then chock the wheels?

Because the ramps will block underside access to the blades. You ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
The Cub has an easy to remove deck, so that's what I do for cleaning and for any maintenance.

Had an old Craftsmen that you could pick up the front end and stand it straight up and rest it on the back of the seat. Big Grin

That's what I did when I had a cub cadet.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

Because the ramps will block underside access to the blades. You ?

How big are your ramps man??

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
61" ZTR here. Weight 1400 Lbs.

24" lift floor jack under front.
Jack stands for safety.
Carpet scrap to lay on.
Cordless impact to zip blade bolts out effortlessly.

Edit to add:
As for using ramps... On a three blade deck, two blade bolts end up over the ramps and gets in the way of my impact driver. I used to have some ramps with removable ramp slopes. Those might work.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about the turf tiger is the bolt holding the blades on is removed from the top side of the deck. No crawling underneath with a ratchet. Smile

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you guys lift your lawn mower to swap out your blades?

I use the MoJack that my wife got me for Father's Day a few years ago...love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use a mojack. Rural King under $200.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post