Find
Notify
Tools

Road Maps Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Always have a contingency!
Besides, an Atlas gives you more relational perspective of where you are going and what is nearby.

Love my GPS and I love my maps.

Driving in Sicily now, prefer Michelin maps, they are quite good as well as the Italian Auto Club maps FWIW.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Years back when having a nav unit rather defined a Luxury Car a good fried who travels a lot to big cities for business meetings was proud to show it to me; commenting that the end of annoying folding maps was over!
I commented that perhaps someday an accident, detour or whatever may cause you to exit the highway into a neighborhood you'd pay anything not to be and a paper map may of helped you avoid it.
A couple or 3 years later he calls me stating -- How the hell did I know!!
Seems construction in the Boston area dumped him into an 'infested' neighborhood. Before he could figure a way out the natives did the baby-in-a-carriage pushed in front of his car from between 2 parked cars. Of course the carriage was empty but a crowd immediately formed and volia, a crying baby magically was in the carriage.
They scammed him for all his cash ($400) such that he was 'allowed' to leave unscathed.

And as others have said -- a map lets you view the area for points of interest.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Former Boy Scout, Be Prepared is burned into the memory bank. I have used a GPS for a long time, great devices. I have a road atlas in the car, it comes in handy. The atlas gives a "30,000 ft" view that the GPS doesn't.

More than one tool in the toolbox, each has a purpose.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not anymore but I actually liked looking at them on trips as a kid. The one we had showed exit numbers.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Both. GPS for tactical view, paper for strategic and backup. Even pilots still carry their paper backup.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of paper maps, always have some with me. When I boated out of NJ, I always had paper charts aboard, learned this from my Dad.

I like the Benchmark atlases, NatGeo Trails Illustrated and assorted BLM maps. The National Forests also publish maps, I have those, too. We're off road somewhere most weekends, GPS backed by maps.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Back in the '50s and '60s, gas stations used to give out state maps for free. They had racks of them. Some stations had just the state they were in, and maybe a couple of surrounding states. Others had a wide selection. I used to collect them. IIRC, Texaco was the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny this should come up now. I normally try to have a map with me. I'm in Dayton, OH for a trip, and this morning, my GPS suddenly experienced a loss of satellite connection. I was only on a short outing for breakfast, so I turned it off. It was fine when we left the restaurant.

I like to have both road maps and a city map when I'm in a place - just forgot them this time.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post