SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a good pick up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good pick up Login/Join 
posted
I want to get a good older pick for hauling crap and gardening stuff. It won't be a work vehicle and doesn't have to be pretty - just functional with lots of miles left on it. Any suggestions about which maker to consider? F-150?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What kind of a budget and what configuration?

Two or four wheel drive. Single cab, extra cab, crew cab?

Engine, trans. etc, etc, etc?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
96 or older F150 are my favorite, get one before they are all gone! I have a 95 shortbed 5.0 auto.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Yes, a little more info would help narrow down the choices. Over the years I've had everything from a clapped out Datsun P/U, to a couple F-150's ('77 & '95 Eddie Bauer 4wd), to my current 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi engine Quad Cab 4X4 (which I've had since new).

All have been good for their purpose.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If you already have something that'll tow now (e.g. SUV), it'll be a cheaper and less maintenance to buy a trailer.

If you really need a truck, I'd pick up a F-150 after they dumped the twin i-beam suspension (97) or F-250 after they dumped the twin i-beam suspension (~99). We had them at work and they rode like crap because you couldn't keep 'em aligned, but once they made the swap they rode as well as the Chevy/GMC.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've had numerous GM and Ford trucks ranging in age from a '59 Chevy to a 2012 Chevy. I'd posit that the trucks made in the 1990s by both manufacturers were the most comfortable and trouble-free for the money, of any decade.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I'd maybe put less importance on brand than how it has been cared for. This from a guy that has owned three non Fords over 35 years, one of those was a Kawasaki. I wait till I find that Ford but I'm willing to accept there are good examples of most truck brands.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
96 or older F150 are my favorite, get one before they are all gone! I have a 95 shortbed 5.0 auto.

That's a 6'6" bed with dual fuel tanks? Sweet!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm going to suggest a different direction.

Back in '07 when diesel was approaching $5/gal I was having to fill up twice a week for work it was killing me. (I had a F-350). I realized that much of what I needed a truck for could be done with a much smaller truck.
I ended up buying an '07 Ford Ranger 2 WD regular cab with the small 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. It gets 25 mpg and can haul small stuff without any issue (trash, gardenening supplies etc.).
I still have that truck (along with a new F-350!) and it has paid for itself several times over in fuel savings. I've only done oil changes and tires. This thing will last forever!
I would not take it on any longer trips but for just banging around town it fits the bill nicely.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
99-06 Silverado with 5.3L. Probably the best Bowtie ever made. My 2000 went 273k trouble free miles before I sold it in 2014 for $5300.

I have a 2009 model now and it's great but my 2000 was better.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My dad's 73 camper special still in part time service. The 454 still gets 11 mpg hauling or parked.

Granted, it's getting harder to find decent 50 year old serviceable pick ups, but they are a true gem for lower demand use when compared to other options. Cost/expense ratio vs the joy of using the vehicle is difficult to measure.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I posted the same question awhile back looking at early 80s pickups.
Our reasoning are pretty much identical hardest work it will see is a couple Bobcat scoops of mulch in the spring.

The idea of a Ranger is not a bad idea IF you can fit in one. My buddy has a 2004 4cylinder 4x4 that can't get out of it's own way but has been a good truck for him.
I am 6'2" 235 and I am very cramped in it and would not buy one because of it.

I lucked out and got my Grandfathers 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 with 90k miles. All maintenance has been kept up to date. Only issues it has had was the electronic buttons to activate 4wd went bad and the rear brake lines rusted through and the calipers seized so those have been replaced. Apparently this is a very common issue.
I put new Bilstein shocks on it for him awhile back.

A/C compressor currently is shot but that will be replaced Monday. I got a whole new audio/video system to replace some blown speakers and add a backup camera.
These trucks have rocker rust issues too. Mine are beginning and are going to be LineXd to cover the rust.

The mechanic I am taking the truck to do the A/C said the 5.3L Vortec is probably Chevy's best truck motor ever.

He said outside of the A/C compressors, rusting rockers, and rear brake lines these trucks are some of the best. He owns a 2005 and has worked on many with over 300k miles.

Glad I was able to get my grandfathers to keep it in the family but also an extended cab which turned out to be a huge plus because as soon as I brought it home the boys were wanting to ride in it which would have been a pain in a single cab.

If budget allows I would look into the Chevys from that era.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Try this:

"Are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you've got fine written all over you."

Wait, what are you looking for again?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there are some ladies that hang out at the corner of Kolb and Speedway

just sayin'

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to find a '95 Dodge Ram 2500, diesel, king cab, 8' bed, manual trans, 2WD. Under 100k miles on it in 2015. This is a great truck. I watch mpg all the time. Around town, 20-22 mpg. Highway I have gotten 25.5 mpg. Very comfortable, does highway 70 mph at 2000 rpm. Will take almost 3,000 lbs in the bed.

I do use a fuel additive due to the low sulfur fuel.

It needed paint and tires. I changed the stock 3" exhaust for an aftermarket 4". Runs better than stock.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
99-06 Silverado with 5.3L. Probably the best Bowtie ever made. My 2000 went 273k trouble free miles before I sold it in 2014 for $5300.

As someone who owned nothing but GM for over 25 years before purchasing my current 2014 Ram new, I'd agree with this but with a stipulation. For the love of all things Holy and Not, stay away from the 03-04 Silverado and Sierra 1500 because of the brakes. These were the first 2 years they went back to rear drums and they don't stop for shit when compared to pretty much any other truck made in those years. GM kept the discs on the rear on the HD trucks and they're fine but the half ton brakes for 03-04 are garbage.

They did get them lined on for 05 so for a half ton, I'd aim for that year and up.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You live in central Nebraska and you haven't settled on a brand of pickup?!?

OK, Ford

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

This. I owned a 1995 F150 with a bullet proof 6 Cyl and 5 speed standard. It was a great truck.

Great looking 96 Beth.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
quote:

As someone who owned nothing but GM for over 25 years before purchasing my current 2014 Ram new, I'd agree with this but with a stipulation. For the love of all things Holy and Not, stay away from the 03-04 Silverado and Sierra 1500 because of the brakes. These were the first 2 years they went back to rear drums and they don't stop for shit when compared to pretty much any other truck made in those years. GM kept the discs on the rear on the HD trucks and they're fine but the half ton brakes for 03-04 are garbage.

They did get them lined on for 05 so for a half ton, I'd aim for that year and up.

Did not realize they went back to drums. Seems like a step backwards. I doubt they were seeing the rust issues that plague the early 2000s had with the rear lines to cause them to do a quick fix for the model.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
quote:

Did not realize they went back to drums. Seems like a step backwards. I doubt they were seeing the rust issues that plague the early 2000s had with the rear lines to cause them to do a quick fix for the model.

They had an issue with "brake skip" on the 1500 series with this body style and 4 wheel disc brakes which is why they switched back. Basically if you were on the brakes and hit a bump, it could activate the anti lock feature and you'd have to let off of the brakes and reapply to get them to kick in. Happened to me on my 2000 work truck 3 times in about 200,000miles which is definitely intermittent but was pretty scary nonetheless.

I drove an 03 Silverado work truck of ours a few times and it literally felt like Flintstoning the brakes. It wasn't good. My brother felt the same thing on his 04 Z71 so it seems pretty common for those two years.

That said, I acquired the 05 1500 Sierra I used to have for a work truck and was going to use it as a commuter before a man randomly stopped by and made me a nice offer on it back in January. That truck was about as bulletproof as they come. It had just under 361k on the clock when I agreed to sell it and was still getting 17-18 mpg mixed driving with the 4.8 V8 engine, all original driveline when I sold it. That truck idled smoother than anything else I've driven even with the amount of miles it had on it and i wouldn't hesitate trusting a well to decently kept GM from 05 or so in that body style if I had the need to buy a used truck.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post