SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wow, we felt a small earthquake!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow, we felt a small earthquake! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All that damn snow tilted the Appalachians sideways!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
We're near the Ranger Camp, Merril.
Sometimes the Ospreys and Blackhawks fly over and shake the house(yes, they hug the trees).
Except this time there was no whine of the engines!

Sounds like I'm just a few miles south of you. We heard and felt it and the dogs sure did too.
Felt like when lightning strikes nearby. House shook a little and not for too long but I din't know how much I slept through.
Since each 1.0 increase means double, I don't ever want to be in a 5 or above. I don't think our homes are built to earthquake standards around here.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here outside Charlotte I woke up. Don't think I felt anything but heard a weird rattling noise. A few seconds late the parakeets went nuts. I was in DC when the quake hit there in 2011. That one rocked the govt building.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
We're near the Ranger Camp, Merril.
Sometimes the Ospreys and Blackhawks fly over and shake the house(yes, they hug the trees).
Except this time there was no whine of the engines!

Sounds like I'm just a few miles south of you. We heard and felt it and the dogs sure did too.
Felt like when lightning strikes nearby. House shook a little and not for too long but I din't know how much I slept through.
Since each 1.0 increase means double, I don't ever want to be in a 5 or above. I don't think our homes are built to earthquake standards around here.

It lasted about 15 seconds.
There was a real shaker in 2003 that originated in Fort Payne Alabama.
Knocked photos off the walls and everything!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a real shaker in 2003 that originated in Fort Payne Alabama.
Knocked photos off the walls and everything!

I remember that one too. As I recall it also happened sometime during the night.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Any falling rocks on the mountains?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Rocks come down every few weeks from heavy rains.
The snow/ice Monday took down trees.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we have them often in these parts (PNW). The neatest (and spookiest) thing is when the dogs start barking like mad, then seconds later the shaking begins. 'Early warning', but not quite early enough.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ouch, glad everyone is all right!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post