SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Working out with golfer's elbow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working out with golfer's elbow Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
It seems that I can't really do curls with my right arm. Preacher and isolated curls hurt the most. The compression band helps with pain but limits the motion at the top of the motion.

First, does the band help me heal or does it just limit the pain while wearing it?

Second, should I just stop curls until I heal or is there something to replace curls?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Yes.
And put away your vintage Penthouse collection for 2-3 weeks. Smile

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Yes.
Yes.
Ok. Yes to what? Big Grin

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This really helped me

Golfers elbow is a major pain in the ass. I'm really sure you figured that out. It took me about 3 months of wearing it to get the problem fixed.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
This really helped me

Golfers elbow is a major pain in the ass. I'm really sure you figured that out. It took me about 3 months of wearing it to get the problem fixed.
Yep. I'm wearing a strap with the compression bubble. It helps but I didn't know if it helps healing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
This really helped me

Yep. I'm wearing a strap with the compression bubble. It helps but I didn't know if it helps healing.

It did fix my problem but keep in mind that I do a desk job and play tennis and golf on weekends only. Maybe check with a Dr to see if this is a "cure".

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I fight with the same thing, left elbow. When it sparks back up I start wearing my neoprene compression sleeve and warm it up real good before working out. I reduce weight as well. It sucks and always takes a long time to heal.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Keep wearing the band, stop doing what hurts.
It will heal but you have to let it heal. BTDT.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You could try a stem cell injection. I did some 6 weeks ago for my torn labrums (dealing with post op on one of them now) and I tried it first several years ago with the tendon in the arm that attaches the bicep to the forearm. It was torn. Stem cell injection cured it, but it did take 6 months.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Theraband Flexbar. YouTube videos show how to do.
Works for me. I have the red one.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful about using the strap and not reducing strain. I have tendonitis in one of my elbows that I initially dealt with by just wearing a compression strap and carrying on like normal. I ended up straining some muscles and other connective tissue by presumably just transferring the load to things not meant to take it.

Now, when it flares up, I'll wear the strap for strenuous stuff but so stretching exercises to try to relieve it.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are doing bench presses, try letting your elbows flay out to the sides a bit,and bringing the bar down to the mid-chest. When I had golfer's elbow, the pain was most pronounced in curls and bench presses. Google Fu revealed a trainer who claimed the first thing he checks when he has a weightlifter with golfer's elbow is their bench press form.

The "classic" form (which yields much heavier lifts) is for the elbows to be about 45 degrees to the body, and for the bar to touch the lower chest. This creates golfer's elbow in a lot of people. It did it for me. I changed my bench press form and now I have no issues. It took several weeks to heal.

Posts: 631 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
If you are doing bench presses, try letting your elbows flay out to the sides a bit,and bringing the bar down to the mid-chest. When I had golfer's elbow, the pain was most pronounced in curls and bench presses. Google Fu revealed a trainer who claimed the first thing he checks when he has a weightlifter with golfer's elbow is their bench press form.

The "classic" form (which yields much heavier lifts) is for the elbows to be about 45 degrees to the body, and for the bar to touch the lower chest. This creates golfer's elbow in a lot of people. It did it for me. I changed my bench press form and now I have no issues. It took several weeks to heal.
I gave my bench to a friend's son last year. I just don't have room for a bench. I'm going to try to just get by without one.

posted Hide Post
Consult with your Dr. and find a physical therapist trained in Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization (ASTYM). Until you treat the underlying soft tissue adhesions the condition will continue to plague you.

Posts: 503 | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Serious therapeutic massage, probably on your neck

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stretch your biceps and forearms. 3x daily.

Ice massage post workout on elbow and sorrounding tissue.

Heavy doses of fish oil. Some claim CBD works as well.

Make adjustments in gym until healing process is well underway.

Toss out the ridiculous arm band - it's a gimmick. A neoprene elbow brace may help but not a long term solution.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Stretch your biceps and forearms. 3x daily. ...
No, movement or position seems to stretch the painful area. Everything seems to miss the inner elbow. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
... Toss out the ridiculous arm band - it's a gimmick. ...
The band without the bubble or pressure pad don't work but the ones with the bubble actually do work. In my experience, the bubble bands aren't a gimmick.