SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blu-ray player issue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blu-ray player issue? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I have a Sony bdp-s3200 Blu-ray player and it has been perfect for the 4 years I’ve owned it. Well the other day I bring home the new Star Wars The last Jedi (even though it half way sucked lol) and it won’t load up on the main selection page/root menu. Just freezes and no screen prompts come up. It actually locked the DVD player and neither controller or buttons on player itself would eject the disc. Had to unplug and plug back in power to get to eject.

Anyway I figure oh well it’s just a bad DVD/Blu ray so I take it back and buy another copy at another store. Get it home tonight and same thing. So now I’m pissed and like WTF is going on?!

Every other DVD/Blu ray we own plays fine. Thought t was maybe the player needed an update so I updated the settings and have the latest system update per Sony. All is good with the internet connections and all seems like it should be fine now. Put the last Jedi in one last time and it still does not work. Again tested with 2 other DVDS/Blu-rays and they all are fine. So I’m out of ideas. I hate to get another copy after two tries it just doesn’t work for some reason. Why could this be? I’ll call Sony this week and maybe even Disney per the Blu ray disc suggestion though I don’t know what they can do. Anybody have an idea?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you didn't buy a 4K copy by accident? 4K blu-ray disks won't play in non-4K compatible players.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
No it’s not the 4K one. That was a few bucks more.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Buy a new player. They are cheap.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
See if you can do a firmware update.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
How is a firmware update different from what I did? I have the latest version per the Sony website.

And I’d rather not buy a new one as it’s not that old. I paid maybe $75 bucks for this one and though that’s not expensive replacing is the last option.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I got two different Last Jedi Blu-ray discs from Redbox and they both refused to play for me in my Samsung Blu-ray player.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, makes me wonder if it actually is due to the discs being manufactured wrong

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The universe is trying to protect you from watching that dreck.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I had one that did that. Someone said firmware? Yeah I tried that, but it froze up during the update. Nothing would bring it back to life after that. It was a Sony too, btw.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I called Sony and the guy said hey had an exact same call earlier today. I tried some other Blu rays and they work so it has to be the way they are manufacturing the last Jedi blue rays. Perhaps I’ll get the friggin’ DVD version and be done with it.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
And this is why people pirate shit. I've had DVD's and Blue Rays do this as well. I don't know if it's your problem, but frequently this is the studio rolling out some new form of copy protection and now your player can't handle it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Bought the DVD today and it works so it was the Blu ray I guess. Good grief.