SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery Chain Saw, how much will they cut?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery Chain Saw, how much will they cut? Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I was looking at buying a battery powered chain saw but it seemed like they use a different (narrower) chain than the gas powered saws use. I've got chains sitting around I would like to use.

Could someone address this? Does it really matter to you?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2076 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
RideWV

Which size battery were you using?

Posts: 397 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You could put any bar on them that will fit. I believe the M18 Fuel comes with an Oregon 16” bar, but it is a 043 kerf. There’s no reason you couldn’t swap out the bar for a .050 bar. However, I doubt the saw will drive a 3/8 full chisel chain with a 16” bar, it being advertised as the equivalent to a 40cc saw. I guess the electrics use a narrow kerf bar to increase the number of cuts, perhaps? I’m sure the saw would be ok with a 3/8 semi skip chain, but you won’t get as many cuts per charge.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Still battery saws use a narrower low friction chain. I’m on the original chain which hasn’t needed sharpened yet but I need to pick up a spare. Mine is 14” bar with AP 300 battery.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an echo pole saw which uses the narrow chain. I don't see where the width would make a difference in actual cutting on this size saw anyways. Mine cuts like an animal and the chain lasts a long time and is cheap $18 for an OEM. With the electric I would stick to the OEM as I'm sure they've tested every combination and a thicker chain or longer bar might shorten long term battery life or something like that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

......Since you have to mule your wood around, get a 12V converter and take a spare battery with charger with you, doubles the run time, no leaky gas cans to carry around, that way you can run battery one down until it slows, swap and put the run down back to charge, with the new battery tech you'll wear out before the charges do...

Not a bad idea, in reality though if I have much cutting to do such as firewood I just grab a gas saw. I carry this one around just to clean up my trails or cut up little stuff.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post