SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilots-is this what it is really like trying to land an airliner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilots-is this what it is really like trying to land an airliner? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've always been afraid of flying. I just got to the point where I can do it comfortably. I think I'll pass on the videos. Ignorance has served me well so far.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
But you know what the strangest thing is?? My smoothest landings have occurred after a bumpier-then-hell approach down the localizer combined with gusty cross-winds 60* off the nose. Had people tell me they didn't even know we landed. Light airplane with calm winds? Yeah....I'll plow that bad boy on there almost every time. Make EXTREMELY good use of that trailing link landing gear..... Eek
Yep, now that's the God's honest truth.

I hate light winds right down the runway.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
But you know what the strangest thing is?? My smoothest landings have occurred after a bumpier-then-hell approach down the localizer combined with gusty cross-winds 60* off the nose. Had people tell me they didn't even know we landed. Light airplane with calm winds? Yeah....I'll plow that bad boy on there almost every time. Make EXTREMELY good use of that trailing link landing gear..... Eek

RETARD!
RETARD!!
RETARD!!!

Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I just flew home to CRW from ATL Wed night
Landing in Charleston is always bumpy, and we had a little weather to boot

Some of the passengers were getting a little jumpy

The look on the youngish pilots face as he greeted us on the way out made it clear he earned his money that night

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We flew from Knoxville to Nashville (and on to Jamaica) on our honeymoon, and the flight had several really enormous air pockets (or whatever you call it when the aircraft drops like a rock for a second or two). Felt like a roller coaster ride.

My wife didn't have her seatbelt tight, and I reached over during one event and yanked her belt down hard to keep her in the seat. We were leaving the plane and the pilot was telling everyone bye, and my wife started fussing at him because he was smiling and smirking - it was a tiny jet and he had heard her gasping and such while we were in flight.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
One last update on all this.

Today I was in the simulator for my first session with the motion on. In it, I practiced a 40 knot (roughly 46 mph) crosswind with gusts and turbulence. I did it, and then my brand new squeaky shiny new-hire partner flew them, and neither of is did anything near what the video pilot was doing.

Again...caveats. We were in a simulator, he was in real life. We were at least twice as heavy as he was. Having said that, there weren't any control movements even half of what our video captain was doing. I just thought I would share since I was actually trying to deal with what we have all been discussing. A timely and interesting bit of fun.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the upgrade! (As much as it is possible.) May "session 4" be peaceful, smooth and un-noteworthy!!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

The Fluffy can be a bit of a rollercoaster.

I had quite a few rides in the Base Flight T-39 in the 70s at Eglin, and it was similar to this on the windy days.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:

RETARD!
RETARD!!
RETARD!!!

Big Grin

With a French accent!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
RETARD!
RETARD!!
RETARD!!!

Big Grin

Pfffffff..."If it ain't Boeing, we ain't going".

Razz

Still chasing the elusive WN golden egg..... Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not an airliner pilot (though I do hold an ATP MEL), but I'd say while that may be one way to do it, it may not be the best. Different pilots take different approaches, but "surfing" as Otto put it, or rolling with the punches makes for a smoother and more efficient ride.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPyCywd4o5E

is there a ton of throttle work while attempting this,
or barley any at all?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPyCywd4o5E

is there a ton of throttle work while attempting this,
or barley any at all?

Depends on the winds, I've never done anything as extreme as that.

But typically on approach with a piston plane you use is pitch to control the airspeed and power to control altitude (though that is highly simplified in reality you are adjusting both at the same time).

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post