SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pilots-is this what it is really like trying to land an airliner?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilots-is this what it is really like trying to land an airliner? Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
It seems like an *awful lot* of motion and movement of the controls.

Any chance it is faked?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-737-high-winds.html

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z36Qd3kaAo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcereuss,

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
<iframe allowfullscreen frameborder="0" width="698" height="573" scrolling="no" id="molvideoplayer" title="MailOnline Embed Player" src="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1431559.html"></iframe>

Only if its an Airbus. Big Grin

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Only if its an Airbus. Big Grin

Hang on...

Smile

Better now. Wink

--RMD-maybe you could edit that string so the post fits screens better?

You quoted before I could edit...you're too fast, or I'm too slow.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You'd almost think the pilot was having a seizure.

I hope the copilot didn't spill his cocktail. Big Grin

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty authentic to me, and yes when it's gusty that's what it looks like trying to land one. Those large control inputs are not indicative of how far the control surfaces are moving though. So while the yoke is swinging back and forth the actual ailerons and elevators are moving much less than that. Any time you get a bumpy ride in the back you can be sure the pilot is working up front.

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Looks like that guy earned his pay on that landing.

"
--RMD-maybe you could edit that string so the post fits screens better?

You quoted before I could edit...you're too fast, or I'm too slow."

Inside joke for another member who will likely be along shortly. He knows who he is.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nah, if that was Otto or Entropy, they'd be so smooth you wouldn't even see any movement, Because there wouldn't be any. Because they are 2 Sig Forum pilots.. Big Grin. And that's different than a regular pilot.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
He looked relieved to be on the ground to me.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Lots of single runway commercial airports overseas, so flying over there you are more likely to see more extreme crosswind landings than are common in the US.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Nah, if that was Otto or Entropy, they'd be so smooth you wouldn't even see any movement, Because there wouldn't be any. Because they are 2 Sig Forum pilots.. Big Grin. And that's different than a regular pilot.

I don't think Otto's passengers care about a smooth landing. The boxes don't scream.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

I don't think Otto's passengers care about a smooth landing. The boxes don't scream.

But the cows, or was it horses, made a heckuva mess.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm no airline pilot, but I believe it's totally real. You put in the input that is needed. Each of those inputs was very very momentary.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'm no airline pilot, but I believe it's totally real. You put in the input that is needed. Each of those inputs was very very momentary.

Same. I'm not pilot, but the change in location of the sun over the pilot's left shoulder as they were descending would certainly be difficult to fake.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

No, but they do occasionally collapse, break, or leak all over themselves...and the cows and horses do get a bit kicky. Big Grin

Now, two disclaimers. First, I have never flown a 737. I have flown bigger and smaller. Second, the planes I've flown for the last decade can carry a 737's weight in fuel, so they don't get bounced quite like that. Having said that...

Even in the nastiest weather I have ever flown in, I have NEVER done that kind of control deflection. It may be my helicopter background, but I tend to use more gentle deliberate control movements than that, even in nasty turbulence. In ocean terms, I don't fight the wave, I surf it. In fact, most of the time when I have seen that kind of control deflection it has made the ride worse than it might ordinarily be. I've had fellow pilots talk about the "turbulence" on an approach while flying like that, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "No dude, that was just you."

So having been all judgmental, to be fair, I would have loved to have seen the weather report for that airport, and I REALLY would have loved to look out the window. That might have been some A1 rockstar flying, but it sure seemed a bit excessive to me.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, but I just love crabbing videos. I could watch them all day. Probably because watching skill in action gives me the warm fuzzies.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We flew into Charleston, WV one winter with a prisoner.

For awhile, I thought he was going to land the damn thing ass first.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
No, but they do occasionally collapse, break, or leak all over themselves...and the cows and horses do get a bit kicky. Big Grin

Just blame the people that loaded the containers. Big Grin

quote:
Even in the nastiest weather I have ever flown in, I have NEVER done that kind of control deflection. It may be my helicopter background, but I tend to use more gentle deliberate control movements than that, even in nasty turbulence. In ocean terms, I don't fight the wave, I surf it. In fact, most of the time when I have seen that kind of control deflection it has made the ride worse than it might ordinarily be. I've had fellow pilots talk about the "turbulence" on an approach while flying like that, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying "No dude, that was just you."

So having been all judgmental, to be fair, I would have loved to have seen the weather report for that airport, and I REALLY would have loved to look out the window. That might have been some A1 rockstar flying, but it sure seemed a bit excessive to me.

I think what type of flying a pilot was influenced by shapes how they fly. You mentioned helicopters, but gliders are the same way you have to plan ahead and let the weather push you where you want to go. While this guy has an aerobatics background, and might influence him into manhandling the plane more.

Anyways I looked up the caption from the Facebook post
".I'm always saying that airline pilot gets his all salary for one landing per month...this is the day I earned mine...maximum crosswind limit steady, gust plus steady and gust in one...FULL FORCE column deflections was reqired...I LOVE Boeing 737 for it's stability in severe conditions.."

Sounds like extreme crosswind plus gusts, and I am guessing the typical European single runway airport.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
maximum crosswind limit steady, gust plus steady and gust in one

Depending on the type of 737, that could be 36 kts. steady + extra gust. He was a test pilot. Sometimes, you gotta' be, and the low engines of a 737 require a bit more care. I'll give him that, and as they say..."If you can use the airplane again, it was a great one." Smile

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Autopilot must have been Out of Service. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post