SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can U drop Bombs @ full speed or close to it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can U drop Bombs @ full speed or close to it? Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
? what about launching missles ? Or do they have to slow down significantly to drop them ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If I eat Taco Bell, full speed. Otherwise I have to slow down!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Like all things in life, "it depends".

Or in the case of Taco Bell, it helps if you WEAR Depends.

Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
So - if pylon carried, I guess there is a top speed they want you to adhere to while carrying. Can you drop at that same speed ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
If not allowed to discuss - just say so, and I'll drop it.

------------------
SBrooks

posted Hide Post
The answer "It depends" still stands and is the best I can do for you.

Even the term "Full Speed" depends on a number of factors.

Oh, you can discuss it, but it's too broad a discussion - but in general yes, there are limits to all external stores aircraft carry, to include use limitations.

Every weapon configuration is different - one may think of a bomb as a bomb, but they all have different 'setups', like your Taco Bell Gordita Crunch - do you want hot sauce or mild? Cheese or no? How about Sour Cream?

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
? what about launching missles ? Or do they have to slow down significantly to drop them ?

Yes and no.

Some munitions are designed to be released at certain lower speeds and some at extremely high speeds.

It depends on the platform, the weapon, the mission and other factors.

There are free-fall (gravity bombs), retarded munitions, that use fins, drogue chute, streamers or parachutes, there are power assisted standoff bombs, and canister release devices that can release at high speed then slow before opening and dispersing.

Most A2A and many A2G missiles can be fired from high speeds and above Mach.

Some of the issues are proper separation from the platform and stability of flight/glide away from the platform before firing (jettison missiles), and to a degree (but less rare) missiles released from rails.

For example, the Maverick (AGM-65x) was designed to be launched below Mach. We did some testing at Eglin above Mach, but as far as I know (from more than 25 years ago) it was limited to testing. While we did a test of the AIM-120 (AMRAAM) that we "uptuned" engines on an F-15 to 106% in order to release four AIM-120s simultaneously at four different targets at different altitudes, different flight paths, some head on, side attack, and flying away above Mach in a "threat level", various and multiple SOJ (Soviet Offensive Jammers) and other suppression with the F-15 above Mach 2.5.

All four targets were effectively "killed".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
thank you very much Monkey.

------------------
SBrooks

It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
If not allowed to discuss - just say so, and I'll drop it.

I see what you did there!! Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
retarded munitions

That guy was in my unit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
retarded munitions

That guy was in my unit.
I think one is issued to every unit. Big Grin

Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:
retarded munitions

That guy was in my unit.

It's a High Pri 1 Billet that they must keep filled at all times. Razz

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:
quote:
quote:
retarded munitions

That guy was in my unit.

It's a High Pri 1 Billet that they must keep filled at all times. Razz

Yeah, Bupers never gaps that one.

In fact, they quite often send one of their own to fill it.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Like all things in life, "it depends".

Or in the case of Taco Bell, it helps if you WEAR Depends.

Razz

Let's not denigrate the Bell. The essence of life springs from Baja Blast.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask my son.

Especially right After I hit the window lock button

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The answer depends on factors such as precision needed at impact, altitude, attitude, airspeed, the type and extent of enemy aviation, the quantity of incoming AAA, the type of bomb, and whether it is a dumb bomb or a not-so-dumb bomb.

For example, during WWII the B17s over Europe tended to drop at close to the maximum speed because that is what was needed to keep them aloft at high altitude. Those same types of planes in the Pacific dropped at slower, very specific airspeeds when skip bombing Japanese ships.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Not at all in 'bomb free' zones.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Not at all in 'bomb free' zones.

That’s in effect whenever my wife is in the bathroom. Smile

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Define full speed

Full military power? Full afterburner? A specific speed in mind ie 400kts, 600kts? Mach 0.9? Mach 1.2?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on what plane the bombs are being dropped from as well as the type of bomb.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post