SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Observations driving across country
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations driving across country Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Usually the truck trying to pass is going as fast as the computer will allow it to go. All these trucks have a maximum speed that is set with a computer. They can go faster down hill because the weight is pushing them. The weight also pulls them back when climbing hills. The truck in the right lane could slow just a little for a few seconds, and let the the truck in the left lane get by and everybody would be happy. But some of these drivers do not show the other truck drivers a bit of courtesy.

There are not many truly professional truck drivers on the roads these days.

And welcome to Tennessee.

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Middle Tennessee!

It hasn't been too many years ago traffic on I-40 in Tennessee really rolled. I have seen it average 85 or 90 from Nashville to Memphis all while the THP sat and watched from the meadian. For some reason everywhere else they typically hold you to ten over. Increasing traffic has slowed it down now, it needs to be upgraded to 3 lanes from Memphis to Knoxville... starting today would be too late, but that would mostly solve the turtle racing problem.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
We arrived in Clarksville Tennessee! Our house isnt done with the remodel. No fence for the dogs and interior finishing touches sooo we are in a hotel for a few. We took hwy 13 north from I-40 and dang if that isnt a stunningly beautiful drive. So far we love TN. ...my gunsafe arrived! That liberty safe is HUGE....my paltry 50 guns barely made a dent filling it....told the wife I NEEDED more guns....

Hopefully my moving truck arrives tommorrow.

Overall I loved the trip....the wife...not so much...

Ive been over that route before but its been 25 years or so...its chainged
alot.

Cheers
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Welcome to TN. Hope you enjoy Clarkesville. I lived there for a bit in an earlier life.

Lots of pretty drives in all directions. Head north to Paducah and see where all the rivers come together. Some good fun stores up your way. Maybe head south just a bit and visit Guns 'n Leather.

Egregore, the interstate is basically finished. They've put up tons of well lit electric signs to help you go the correct direction.

And, it is still confusing as hell. Part of that comes from decades of going through there and now having to switch which side to exit on.

One thing I've always liked about Memphis is it is hard to go the wrong direction. As long as the city is in your rearview mirror you are headed the right way.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
From another former Californian in Tennessee, welcome to the free USA Cool

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
The larger carriers monitor everything. Speed, fuel consumption, and time. They have calculated the speed for optimal fuel consumption...

I don't know what that has to do with this...
Do they monitor whether they are driving in the left lane, parallel to a truck in the right lane?
Let's say they want to save fuel and do 60 mph...

Last time I started a thread on this it went on for pages.
The excuse then was that there were governors on the trucks that limited their speed. If then, why do you have to pass?
Where there's construction a truck or two ends up in the lead. When construction ends, we get the side by side block for miles. Here's an idea. Don't try to pass and left the cars pass. Will 5-10 minutes cost that much?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide on Clarksville?
The wife and I will be escaping NJ in a couple of years and the Fairview, Dandridge, Burns areas are a couple areas that we have interest in. Our son lives in Fairview and we love the area but are not familiar with everything about it. We will be taking an extended vacation next year to thoroughly check out different areas down there.

Glad your trip was safe.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Usually the truck trying to pass is going as fast as the computer will allow it to go. All these trucks have a maximum speed that is set with a computer. They can go faster down hill because the weight is pushing them. The weight also pulls them back when climbing hills. The truck in the right lane could slow just a little for a few seconds, and let the the truck in the left lane get by and everybody would be happy. But some of these drivers do not show the other truck drivers a bit of courtesy.

That’s just not true. Ive seen trucks doing over 90 mph around here on flat land.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on escaping and welcome to the Volunteer State...You're gonna love it!

quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
That liberty safe is HUGE....my paltry 50 guns barely made a dent filling it....told the wife I NEEDED more guns....

The good news is you can easily fill it with pretty much anything you like...With standard capacity magazines, no less! Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

That’s just not true. Ive seen trucks doing over 90 mph around here on flat land.

Not all trucks have their governor set at lower speeds. Most of the big company trucks do. Why do you think Swift always goes slow? All the trucks that take miles to pass another truck have probably got their speed set to a certain limit.They will just about get around the other truck and hit a little grade and fall back a little and the battle continues.

The one you saw going 90 has the governor set at 90 or above.The big companies are more worried about fuel consumption than they are about drivers being able to go with the flow or speedily pass other trucks.

Governor speed is determined by the company. One company may have their trucks set at 65 and another at 68,another at 66. This is part of what is causing these long running battles to pass on the interstate. As I previously stated if the truck in the right lane would slow for just a few seconds when another rig is attempting to pass, a lot of problems could be eliminated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post