SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham (amateur radio) guys step in please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham (amateur radio) guys step in please Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I like Ham Radio Outlet, Gigaparts, and DX Engineering for radios purchases.

I've bought radios from those 3 places all were good to deal with

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 60s I got organized & studied up on the licensing requirements. Took the test & was given a "Class B with broadcast endorsement" which fit with my then-plans that melted away.

At least once a decade I get the urge again. In fact, I'm going to check local clubs out during this current down time. Thanks for the chatter about ARRL etc.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like Ham Radio Outlet, Gigaparts, and DX Engineering for radios purchases.

For years I've been dealing with Universal Radio in Ohio. Shipping is USPS two day priority, which comes to me in......(drum roll)...two days.

Ask for Barbara.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

With a Tech license, one area you might explore is APRS, the Automated Packet Reporting System. One example of its use is beaconing your location to an APRS-enabled repeater, which then shows up on an APRS-friendly web site. Others can follow your travel live on the web site. I've used it here in AZ. It's a fun and rewarding challenge. Other info can be beaconed as well that is useful to organized search and rescue groups. They often set up their own repeater because they are operating in a limited area.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Speaking of DX Engineering..... Tim Duffy runs it.

When he lived in Oklahoma he became a good friend, I have an antenna he made for me, a 2 Meter Ground Plane. He drove over to my house one day and inspected things and told me to NOT put a tower up due to power line proximity, lol, but did give me some great ideas to get HF up and running.

We've all got plenty of time on our hands to pass, so how about spending some time looking at an amazing thing and learning a few things?

He is K3LR, go to K3LR Link and look around.

Tim is a brilliant guy and very generous sharing what he knows with others. He's a world champion DX'er, and the list goes on.

Go to YouTube and search K3LR and be prepared to marvel at his home station. I'm not aware of a finer one anywhere. It's ginormous and beyond first class.

He has a video on how to solder a PL259, he has hundreds in use at his home station, never had one fail that I know of.

Have fun, enjoy, and learn....and be safe.

73's de N5USS

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post