SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arachnophobes: DO NOT ENTER! The rest of you . . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arachnophobes: DO NOT ENTER! The rest of you . . . . Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
If you're interested in spider bites the world over, this is for you!!

http://reference.medscape.com/...&impID=1403872&faf=1

Enjoy!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Every time there's one of these threads, hope that there'll be a good photo of a Sparklemuffin, [Belushi] but NOoooooo!!! [/Belushi] Big Grin

Nope, not gonna look at no spider bites, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent - 'sides, there will absolutely be a photo of a brown recluse bite and those freak me out, man.

Nuke it from orbit !

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Thanks, RMD. Y'all carry on and have fun. Ain't no way in hell that I'm going clickie on that linkie.

I already store my work gloves in the kitchen so a brown recluse won't crawl the fuck down inside one of them.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.
One of my employees was bitten, on the ankle, by a brown recluse.
The venom ate through her skin to the bone.
Very painful.
Eventually a drug regimen prevented bite from spreading further.
Nasty critters.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Spiders really don't bother me...spider bites...that's another thing altogether Big Grin Eek Big Grin...

I think I will just leave the link closed Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Shudder.....

"No known cases....". That's because the victims died and didn't make it back to civilization. Pain, gangrene, asphyxiation - yea, people wonder why I don't like spiders.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Here's a question for the architect of the universe;

If spiders are designed to occassionally hunt and kill prey in the same general size as them, WTF do they need venom this potent for, or in such a volume that it can kill/maim a human-sized victim?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's mostly digestive enzymes that they use on their prey. They aren't aggressive towards us and people who get bit usually squeeze them accidently -- like putting on a glove. Once bitten the digestive enzymes just continue to slowly digest away making a nasty wound that is slow to heal and easy to become infected.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I lived with humungous spiders, in the central highlands of Sri Lanka. How big? Well, one ran across my face one night-- and I heard him coming on the pillow. Eek

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a login for that link

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was seriously disappointed--expected to see some big cavity in deep tissue down to bone, or at least actual debridement photos. Mostly just glam photos of colorful spiders.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I was seriously disappointed--expected to see some big cavity in deep tissue down to bone, or at least actual debridement photos. Mostly just glam photos of colorful spiders.

You are plain creepy... and a doctor Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin...so all is excused! Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I. Bookmarking that link for future reference.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The link worked earlier, now requires a password.

Anyways, I used to work at a major winery during night shift. One of my main duties was to go out with my tricycle full of lab equipment to various silo tanks to gather samples.
The amount of black widows is unreal. In certain parts of the winery, I can literally stand in one spot and count close to 100 of them without taking a step.
I kept a can of wasp spray on the bike most times.

You never parked your bike or kart near the walls anywhere and have to watch each step you take while going up the spiral steps to the tops of the tanks.

I swore that I would be bitten sometime though my time there, but never happened thankfully.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I lived with humungous spiders, in the central highlands of Sri Lanka. How big? Well, one ran across my face one night-- and I heard him coming on the pillow. Eek
Well..... Thanks a hell of a lot C. I'm putting off going to bed for fear of enormous Them!-like spiders galloping across the pillows... Frown

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Here's a question for the architect of the universe;

If spiders are designed to occassionally hunt and kill prey in the same general size as them, WTF do they need venom this potent for, or in such a volume that it can kill/maim a human-sized victim?

Well, since you asked, it's Nature's way of saying "don't touch."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sorry in advance hahahahaha!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I clicked on the link, only so I could try to diagnose what the hell bit me. But I'm certain it wasn't a recluse or widow.

Something bit me while I was sleeping 8 nights ago, and I still have a welt on my wrist.
Welt has been about a 1/4" high, inflamed and warm to the touch, and was about the diameter of a quarter for a few days. It's now about a dime diameter. Hurts to straighten the wrist as the welt presses up against some nerve or tendon.

Benadryl or Claritin daily, and hydrocortisone cream daily, and still there. It's very, very slowly shrinking, and it never displayed any signs of tick bite or redness spreading, so I never did go to the doctor, as there's really not much they can usually do outside of the same treatments I've done.

All I want to know, is what was it, so I know what to incinerate on sight in the future

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post