SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cordless 1/2" impact wrenches
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cordless 1/2" impact wrenches Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I said this above but my loader is 480 ft.lb's and my battery unit won't get it done. But the stud size is almost 2x an equivalent 22.5 wheel lug nut so I'm not sure if that's a factor. In any case if someone else doesn't chime in, I can do a quick test for you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have the DeWalt 1/2" brushless. Holy crap! That thing is very impressive. I doubt you are going to do better unless you are into an industrial grade air impact with a huge compressor to power it.

Same here. I love mine, 100%. I honestly cannot remember the last time I used my air impact.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I have always avoided ALL cordless tools, thinking in my old mind that cords and hoses are ultimately the better choice.

I like battery-powered drill motors, but that's about it. For everything else: Cords, hoses or gasoline.

I know batteries have come a long way, but all batteries die eventually. My air compressor is over 30 years old and still going strong. Some of my gasoline-powered tools: Likewise. I've got a corded B&D drill motor that's probably 40 years old.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I said this above but my loader is 480 ft.lb's and my battery unit won't get it done. But the stud size is almost 2x an equivalent 22.5 wheel lug nut so I'm not sure if that's a factor. In any case if someone else doesn't chime in, I can do a quick test for you.

Like I said above, I removed lug nuts off my semis with a M18 Fuel before. They are 33mm lug nuts. However, that was a special situation where that was all I had available. I wouldn’t want to use a 1\2 inch wrench regularly for that job. BTW, I’ve changed hundreds of tires myself and watched “pros” do it at least three times as many. Not once in twenty years have I ever seen a torque wrench. I’d be shocked if anybody ever torqued a wheel nut on a truck. Maybe the TA does, but that’s about it.

Most of the time I use a 1” two-handed air wrench driven by an Ingersoll Rand T-30 compressor. That is about the only air tool I still use. I’m cordless on everything else.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I bought a Milwaukee M18 1/2" high torque impact wrench and am happy with it. I picked the Milwaukee because there are so many other tools that are available in their system. Also, the Milwaukee warranty is excellent. They pay shipping to and from their service center if you have a problem. There are at least a hundred videos on YouTube reviewing this tool. It seems to be used a lot by professional mechanics, often preferred over Snap On. I would not get the 9Ah or 12Ah batteries because they make the tool too heavy.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
BTW, I’ve changed hundreds of tires myself and watched “pros” do it at least three times as many. Not once in twenty years have I ever seen a torque wrench.

I find that surprising.

Every single time I've had tires put on our vehicles in the last... geez, I could not say how many years, they've snugged the lug nuts with an impact wrench and done the final tightening with a torque wrench.

I recently went to change the tires on our boat trailer. Here's an excerpt from my last post in my "Kobalt 1/2-in Drive 50-ft lb to 250-ft lb Click Torque Wrench: Yae or Nay?" thread:
quote:

Whomever did it previously obviously used the "tighten as hard as I can with a breaker bar" or "impact wrench running wild" method of lug-nut tightening. There was already one lug snapped off when we bought the boat and trailer. When I went to change the tires a couple weeks ago another snapped off and I couldn't even budge the first three I tried on the other wheel. So hubs and all came off and I took it all in to a trailer place to have it all straightened-out.

Now I need to put the wheels back on. I don't want whomever buys this from us to be cursing me like I've been cursing the twit who over-tightened them last time.

I suppose somebody that does it for a living, and has been doing it for many years, can probably "torque by feel." I can do that for general-purpose tightening. (I can count the number of times I destroyed a fastener or had one come loose on one hand and have fingers left over.) But I'm not in familiar territory up around 100 ft-lbs and more.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I own a towing business and I buy the Snap On ones and they are pure hell!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already own a ton of 18V Makita, so when I wanted a cordless 1/2 impact I simply went that route and am 100% pleased. I mainly use it to rotate wheels and tires on my felt and to break loose rear axle nuts on my motorcycles. I didn't need crazy torque since I don't do diesel stuff, so I got a smaller sized one and it's a dream to handle:

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT11Z

IF I had no existing 18V power tools right this second however, I'd prolly go Milwaukee. I have their M12 line and it's killer.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
BTW, I’ve changed hundreds of tires myself and watched “pros” do it at least three times as many. Not once in twenty years have I ever seen a torque wrench.

I find that surprising.

Every single time I've had tires put on our vehicles in the last... geez, I could not say how many years, they've snugged the lug nuts with an impact wrench and done the final tightening with a torque wrench.

I recently went to change the tires on our boat trailer. Here's an excerpt from my last post in my "Kobalt 1/2-in Drive 50-ft lb to 250-ft lb Click Torque Wrench: Yae or Nay?" thread:
quote:

Whomever did it previously obviously used the "tighten as hard as I can with a breaker bar" or "impact wrench running wild" method of lug-nut tightening. There was already one lug snapped off when we bought the boat and trailer. When I went to change the tires a couple weeks ago another snapped off and I couldn't even budge the first three I tried on the other wheel. So hubs and all came off and I took it all in to a trailer place to have it all straightened-out.

Now I need to put the wheels back on. I don't want whomever buys this from us to be cursing me like I've been cursing the twit who over-tightened them last time.

I suppose somebody that does it for a living, and has been doing it for many years, can probably "torque by feel." I can do that for general-purpose tightening. (I can count the number of times I destroyed a fastener or had one come loose on one hand and have fingers left over.) But I'm not in familiar territory up around 100 ft-lbs and more.

I have always torqued the lugs for small stuff. It keeps from warping rotors. Perhaps class 8 trucks aren’t that sensitive, since up until recently drum brakes have been the norm.

I recently acquired those torque limiting extensions from Home Depot. They’re around $60, and there’s four or five extensions, all color coded. Each one will only torque to a certain amount, no matter how strong the impact hammer. They’re wonderful. You don’t need to slow down to get your torque wrench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...DTRQEXT5PC/207190321

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[I recently acquired those torque limiting extensions from Home Depot. They’re around $60, and there’s four or five extensions, all color coded. Each one will only torque to a certain amount, no matter how strong the impact hammer. They’re wonderful. You don’t need to slow down to get your torque wrench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...DTRQEXT5PC/207190321

they're useful, but don't trust them to get the correct torque. Overtightening isn't the only concern, you need a minimum torque or the lugs will loosen over time. Torque sticks arent that accurate & they loose accuracy over time/usage. Add in different strengths of impact wrenches, differing methods of impact monkeys and you'll have wildly varying torque on each lug.

And yes, you can over tighten lugs with a torque stick. Quite easily.

Run em down with the impact, tighten to final spec with torque wrench.
If you're doing it multiple times a day, torque sticks are nice to speed things up without adding risk. If you're doing it 2x a year, just don't hammer on it with the impact & save your money.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to check mine against a torque wrench. If nothing else, you’d think they’d help with consistency.