SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are The Trees All Confused Where You Are By This Warm Fall?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are The Trees All Confused Where You Are By This Warm Fall? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Southeast PA has had a very warm, humid weird fall and the past 4-6 weeks have been more like mid-August than mid-October with temps in the 80's and 90's instead of 50's and 60's.

All the trees in my area still think it's August and the majority of them still have green leaves and very few have turned and started to fall. The big maple in my backyard is still green and dropped very few leaves when this time last year I'd be raking up at least half of them.

At this rate I'll be raking leaves at Christmas! Anyone else seeing this? It's like fall foliage season was canceled this year.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Typically by now the Ozarks would be exploding in color. But most of the trees are still green around here.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yup. We just went all the way over to the west side of the state late last week. Should be nearing peak fall colour across mid-Michigan, latitude-wise. Saw some colour about halfway across the state. That was it.

We've had one tree, a perennially-stressed sugar maple that evidently had a poor childhood, turn and lose its leaves by the end of last week. We've one other tree turning now.

The freaking grass is still growing like it's peak growing season, and we haven't turned the sprinklers on in two weeks nor fertilized since early summer.

I'm beginning to suspect we won't need that new snowblower we bought last winter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are The Trees All Confused Where You Are By This Warm Fall?
Nope. Most of them are still traumatized by Irma. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
My Oak trees are majority green with minimal drop-age.

What you will have is leaves falling in late Nov/ December then get covered in snow resulting in a lot of dead lawns come spring. Landscaping contractors will be busy next year.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Very weird fall. Warm and humid. August was chilly-- sweaters on after dinner. The seasons must have been kicked in the head....

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
That cactus don't seem to care one way or the other! Smile

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Yep.
Reminds me of a fall several years ago. We had leaves on the trees still geeen in mid-October, then an early snowfall. This resulted in many many branches broken off due to the excessive weight of leaves and snow.
I hope that doesn't happen again!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Yep.
Reminds me of a fall several years ago. We had leaves on the trees still geeen in mid-October, then an early snowfall. This resulted in many many branches broken off due to the excessive weight of leaves and snow.

We had a big snowstorm on Halloween in 2011 or 2013, IIRC, was that what you are referring to?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Pretty normal fall weather here in the Northwest so far. We've had a couple of frosts already and the leaves are turning rapidly now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
IT was proposed to me once that the turning of leaves has nothing to do with temperature, but how long they are exposed to light every day. Once the days get shorter to a certain point, the change starts.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I concur. Pretty normal here in the Pacific Northwest.

All colors present and accounted for.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
IT was proposed to me once that the turning of leaves has nothing to do with temperature, but how long they are exposed to light every day. Once the days get shorter to a certain point, the change starts.

It’s Congress messing with day light savings time again!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Not the trees so much, but I noticed my forsythia has blossoms on it and a friend's rhododendrons are budding.

They're in for a rude surprise...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very warm fall here in the Yoop. Most color change in the southern and western area of the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went on leaf viewing trip down Skyline Drive this weekend. I saw lots of green, even in the mountains. If it wasn't for the amazing sunsets I saw, I'd ask Mother Nature for a refund. We are supposed to be in peak foliage right now, not green.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'd say we are a little behind in NW Montana. Half my trees are bare and half are just starting to drop. Usually the trees are pretty much bare by now and I've done my last mowing to mulch the leaves.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
In our area leaf changes are pretty much on schedule. I had also heard that diminishing sunlight is what causes the leaves to change color. I suspect the colder weather also has something to do with it.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My lemon tree and orange tree in Arizona are putting on blossoms this week....

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Yep.

We had a big snowstorm on Halloween in 2011 or 2013, IIRC, was that what you are referring to?

Sounds about right. More 2009-2011 timeframe to my recollection. I remember that the power company lineman were really busy for a couple of weeks there.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post