SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Never Thought I'd Even THINK About This
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Never Thought I'd Even THINK About This Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Prius has been around ten plus years,that would be a suggestion. The Tesla 3 is interesting.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I can't see the positive appeal. If the Benz gets 20 mpg then the cost to commute, no detours, is about $1.13 to $2.00 per day. If there are 264 working days in a year then the expense is $528. If the cost of charging the e-car is free then it would take about 10 years to recapture the cost.

On the other hand, if the $5,000 e-car runs for five years without repairs then you would be paying $84 per month or about $3.00 per day to 'rest' the Benz. That's a subjective judgement. How will you feel about owning a low-mileage 2014 Benz in 2022?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the cost of electricity during the summer/winter in your area? I would have an EV tomorrow, electricity is cheap in Texas, but my daily commute is ~100 miles.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Wife drives a 17 volt. It's great. She doesn't use a drop of gas all week and we rarely dip into gas on the weekends too now. It has a 50 mile electric range.

Honestly I don't know why these got such a bad PR rap. In my opinion its the real future of the drive train, an electric motor backed up by a gas engine. It gives you unlimited range, which is the number one issue of an all electric car. I think you will see these, or the next version come back in a big way

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gentleone
posted Hide Post
Either it does or does not make economic/practical sense for you to purchase an EV. No reason for any haters here.

-Kevin

Posts: 485 | Location: SE Houston, TX | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote EV but not Smart.
There is at least one here in MQT. And I never see it on a snowy day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with owning and driving an electric vehicle.

Having said that, you wouldn't catch me dead driving around in a Smart car.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My wife is wanting an EV in a few years when the kids move out and she just needs to go to work and back (30 mile round trip). I think it would be fantastic for that usage.

I drive too much and haul stuff so I'd never have anything but a truck.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I am appreciating all the replies, folks. I didn't think this topic would generate much interest.

Let me clarify a couple of things. First, I love my Mercedes, and there are probably several days a week that it would make more sense to drive it. Besides, I still consider it my "primary" car.

As for the Smart -- and I say this knowing that I could easily be misunderstood -- I'm considering one because I can purchase one outright for cash without feeling like I'm adding another car to my stable. It would almost be like buying a covered bicycle (without the cardio benefit). It would be my "errand-running" vehicle: a dash around the block to the grocery store, the office commute on days when I know I'm only going back and forth, a run to the Chinese carryout, etc.

I've been doing a lot of reading on these cars. If I was interested in buying a *car*, I'd probably be looking at the BMW i3 (there's BMW dealer almost within walking distance from my office). But a brand-new 2017 i3 runs over $50,000, and that's the opposite end of the spectrum I'm exploring.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
You can probably find a used volt in the 10k range. They don't lose range over time like the leaf.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
You can probably find a used volt in the 10k range. They don't lose range over time like the leaf.

Perhaps. But I think you missed my point: I *have* a car. I'm not looking for another. I'm thinking of adding a "runabout" that I can charge in my driveway as needed, and use for the occasional local errand run.

There are two shopping centers not five minutes from my home. Driving my Mercedes just to the grocery store and back is harder on the vehicle than extended driving, as it barely has time to warm up and get all the fluids moving. That's not an issue with an electric.

The Volt is a hybrid. It's designed to be a daily driver, or a second car for spouse/kids. I'm not looking for a second car. I know it's hard to describe, but I'm attempting to dip my toes in the EV waters before diving in head-first. Maybe in a couple of years I'll trade in the Merc (and whatever else I may have acquired) and land myself a Tesla or BMW.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
fpuhan,

I get it. You want a street legal golf cart. Which is basically what a smart car is.

But still. Can't you find a Leaf for around that much? You'll get 4 doors, and an actual trunk.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
fpuhan,

I get it. You want a street legal golf cart. Which is basically what a smart car is.

But still. Can't you find a Leaf for around that much? You'll get 4 doors, and an actual trunk.

I looked at a LEAF at CarMax today during lunch. A 2015 going for $14K. That's more than twice the price of a Smart. Yes, it's a nifty little car, seats four, has a Bose sound system, and is truly a car.

I might.

I've thought about putting half (~$7K) down and financing the remainder over 12-24 months.

But that gets me away from pulling out cash and being done with it. I like your description, a "street legal golf cart." That pretty well sums it up.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd stay away from buying one (and far far away from the Chevy).

I'm sure someone here will confirm or call out the following.

Refer to the cars resales values and warranties on the batteries. If i recall accurately, leasees are returning the electrics in such high numbers resale values are very low due to market saturation. Battery warrenties run out at 4 or 5 years and replacement cost is well over 50%of original sticker.

The high-end electrics (Tesla P90D?) with the extremely long battery warrenty are the ones retaining value. The connection is, obviously, battery warrenties and costs associated with replacement.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
If you are treating the cost as "dispensable" then go for it. You probably won't retain any value in a few years time, but if you understand and are willing for that as a stepping stone to a possible big ticket EV down the road, have fun!

As for the SMART42 itself... a guy at my range has one. I's funny seeing him pull up in it and then pulling gun cases out of it like a clown car! He never knocks it, and says for the safety conscious, "it's still safer than a bike, and I don't get wet in the rain!". I test drove it and it was surprisingly go kart like... I could see it being almost fun for short commutes, but imagine it would wear thin for longer rides (not a problem for you).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You should probably consider a car built from the ground up to be an EV. The Smart is designed for a gas motor and drivetrain, not EV.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Meh, I'd rather drive a Mercedes everyday. And how much do you even spend on gas per week? $20? Probably less, but even if it's $20, that's only $1000 per year.

So if you buy a $7000 car, that's 7 years for break even, not considering your higher power bill each month from charging.

So, yeah, it'll save wear and tear on a vehicle, but that vehicle (2014 E class) isn't even maintenance heavy, at least in the first 5 years or so. (I know, I just sold my 2009 E class.)

Plus, you will have at least some wear and tear on a 2nd car, which lives outside and has huge batteries.

And though it saves you some gas money, it will take it a long time to do so.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you plan on keeping the MB long term the plan makes sense.

If you will sell trade the MB in a few years you are just keeping the car nice for the next person.

The MB is setting in the garage depreciating.

Just another way to look at it.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Meh, I'd rather drive a Mercedes everyday. And how much do you even spend on gas per week? $20? Probably less, but even if it's $20, that's only $1000 per year.

So if you buy a $7000 car, that's 7 years for break even, not considering your higher power bill each month from charging.

So, yeah, it'll save wear and tear on a vehicle, but that vehicle (2014 E class) isn't even maintenance heavy, at least in the first 5 years or so. (I know, I just sold my 2009 E class.)

Plus, you will have at least some wear and tear on a 2nd car, which lives outside and has huge batteries.

And though it saves you some gas money, it will take it a long time to do so.

I'm with you...the OP sounds like he is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post