SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Never Thought I'd Even THINK About This
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Never Thought I'd Even THINK About This Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I know haters are gonna hate, so if you must...

But I'll shrug off the hate and pay attention only to the serious answers.

I'm closing on a new home Friday. When I first viewed it, I noticed it included a charging station for electric vehicles.

Well, I work and play not five miles from my home. And few of the roads I travel during a normal week are highways, so I'm now considering purchasing a used, cheap EV to complement my very enjoyable 2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 Coupe 4Matic.

I checked around and found a local independent dealer that has a couple of Smart ForTwo Electric Drive cars for sale. They are both 2015 models, one-owner (CarFax) car with less than 20K on them. One is listed at under $7K and the other under $6K. Heck, that's just the cost of a few guns. I could put one on my credit card!

My thinking is I could garage the Merc, and keep the EV parked outside, plugged in, when necessary. Given my mileage patterns, I could probably go two weeks on a full charge. This would save wear and tear on my "driver" while staying dry and cool to and from work.

Sound like a plan? Anyone had any experience with electrics? And no, I don't want to wait for the Tesla 3. Not yet, at least.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
No hate from me. I was fighting the urge to buy a Victory Empulse TT electric motorcycle. Now that Victory is tits up I feel a bit better about holding off but the technology is VERY cool.

People have different commutes. My wife could probably get by just fine with a Nissan Leaf. I hope to have a solar array on the roof of my workshop in the next few years and if those Empulse TT electric bikes (which have a clutch, tach and transmission) keep going down in price I'll get one of those too.

I say go for it. Just do your homework and research the hell out of the vehicle you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me. Saves wear and tear on the other for longer service life, cheap commuting.

I might lean more to a used Leaf.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also lean leaf over a smart.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Seems like it makes financial sense to me. Plus trips that short are typically bad for gasoline cars as they can't warm up properly in that short of time/distance.

Another thought for you: is biking on nice days possible? Big Grin

Posts: 13094 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Calgary, there was a pay per minute car rental service (Car2go) based on the gasoline Smart car. The biggest piece of shit I have ever driven (suspension, transmission, lag time after pressing accelerator). I imagine their electric cars are equally shitty.

Your idea has merit, but chose a vehicle that isn't a downgrade from a golf cart.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23219 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We've got a charging station in our secure lot at work. One dude just bought a Leaf, charges it at work during shift. Smart dude.

I'm considering trading in on a Tesla once the new model comes out and they have a while to work out the bugs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Wife drives a 17 volt. It's great. She doesn't use a drop of gas all week and we rarely dip into gas on the weekends too now. It has a 50 mile electric range.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Depending on what that five miles is like, I might have considered a bicycle, but you don't get wet in the rain in an EV. Certainly will help keep your miles down on your evil petrol burning monsters. Smile

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I hope your route is a safe route as I wouldn't want to be in a SmartCar vs. 1 ton Ford Crew.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great idea. Short commute, and a charging station already in place. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
While a Smart may be a nice option, I'm like the others in exploring a used Nissan Leaf, or a used Chevy Volt.
I've researched these types for my next car, as I live 8 miles from work (and it's on the same street--right out of driveway in the morning, 8 miles, then right turn into work--2 left turns in the evening). I will be purchasing something new within the next twelve months.

A charging station already in place at my house would make an electric vehicle a done deal.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have the ideal application. Keep in mind that any cabin heating and cooling will come out of your battery storage budget.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
We've got a charging station in our secure lot at work. One dude just bought a Leaf, charges it at work during shift. Smart dude.

I'm considering trading in on a Tesla once the new model comes out and they have a while to work out the bugs.

A customer of mine has had a tesla for over a year and loves it. He says the build quality is amazing on it. However, he told me it came in at $130k by the time you add in all the extra's like faster chargers, more power (performance), fast charge batteries etc. etc.

However, i'd be leery about buying a used electric vehicle because I'm guessing that replacing the batteries is a very costly endevour and they don't hold as much of a charge as time goes on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'd also go leaf, or if you're willing to ship a fiat 500e

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about an electric hot rod.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I think it's a fine idea.

However, I caution you about letting that E350 sit for too long a period of time.

My 545 was in perfect condition when I got my company car. Since it was summertime, when I wasn't driving the company car for work, I was driving my convertible for personal use.

The 545 sat for about 4 months before I put the convertible in storage.

During that time, it had literally gone from being perfect to being a complete piece of crap. It leaked hydraulic fluid, it leaked coolant, and the brakes had of course developed a nice layer of surface rust.

Granted - it was 9 years old and had 135k miles on it - but it was literally in PERFECT condition before I let it sit.

If you make the same mistake, that $6k EV to save money and wear & tear might just turn out to be the most expensive cost-saving measure you've ever taken.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get an EV, but my house would need a pretty big upgrade electrically before that would work for me. Before I bought the house, I even asked if my condo was going to upgrade to have chargers in the underground parking.

quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I would also lean leaf over a smart.

I met a guy who had a Nissan Leaf, and LOVED it, worked great for a 30+/- mile commute.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
My thinking is I could garage the Merc, and keep the EV parked outside, plugged in, when necessary. Given my mileage patterns, I could probably go two weeks on a full charge. This would save wear and tear on my "driver" while staying dry and cool to and from work.

Keeping the EV outside plugged in? Are you sure that's ok per the manufacturers?

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up to electric car.

Thumbs down to Smart car.

Leaf, Volt, Tesla, Toyota Plug-in Prius, whatever. But that Smart car is shit.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As previously mentioned, I would be concerned about the safety of the Smart Car. Someone pointed out that, in a Smart Car, you almost arrive at the accident before the car does. It would certainly be more safe than a bicycle or a motorcycle.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I used to live less than a mile from my office. I would have definitely considered this option then. The EV option, I mean - I would never consider the 'smart' car - that's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Doesn't even get that great mpg. Stupid concept unless you live in a tight city with very narrow streets and parking options - that's about the only possible justification for that vehicle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post