SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crabcakes? and a question about the SF cookbook
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crabcakes? and a question about the SF cookbook Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Which restaurant, if you please (I work out of Madison)? L'Etoile?

Rare. The pork belly and foie gras was also quite good.

I just went and looked up the place you mentioned. Totally not my speed. Looks way too hipster and ridiculous.

I want large hunks of cow, preferably agreed 100+ days, and seafood. Rare isn't cheap, but it certainly meets the above requirements.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff:
Less is more.

Agreed. Less is more. And recipes? They are only a guide, not the bible.

Consistency of mixture is the goal. I *think* you want it so loose it is nearly falling apart before it hits the pan, but not quite.

I'll see my dad next week and ask him. It may be the temp of your oil, and the oil may be lard. I'll ask him.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Sam's club sells lump crab meat in the plastic tub 1lb for around $23. You can make 4 really big crab cakes or 6 medium sized ones.

We use the Phillips recipe.
http://www.phillipsfoods.com/r...phillips-crab-cakes/

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Sam's club sells lump crab meat in the plastic tub 1lb for around $23. You can make 4 really big crab cakes or 6 medium sized ones.

We use the Phillips recipe.
http://www.phillipsfoods.com/r...phillips-crab-cakes/

YOWZERS, lump is up to that much now? Last time I bought it, it was in the high teens. Other times I bought live crabs, steamed them, then picked the meat out, which is cheaper, but a heck of a lot more work.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

I just went and looked up the place you mentioned. Totally not my speed. Looks way too hipster and ridiculous.

I want large hunks of cow, preferably agreed 100+ days, and seafood. Rare isn't cheap, but it certainly meets the above requirements.

I've never eaten at L'Etoile either, mostly due to budget! I think the chef has a Michelin or two, so when I saw your post about being impressed, was just my guess. I agree with your other sentiment also, but usually age my own (again, budget), and my father in law is a beef farmer, so we get a free grassfed Hereford steer every fall and therefore don't eat steaks at restaurants very much.

Glad you posted this thread though, I love crabcakes, and mine could use a tune-up!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've never eaten at L'Etoile either, mostly due to budget! I think the chef has a Michelin or two, so when I saw your post about being impressed, was just my guess. I agree with your other sentiment also, but usually age my own (again, budget), and my father in law is a beef farmer, so we get a free grassfed Hereford steer every fall and therefore don't eat steaks at restaurants very much.

Glad you posted this thread though, I love crabcakes, and mine could use a tune-up!

Your father in law wouldn't by chance raise beef cattle in WI, would he? I'd be very interested in speaking with him about perhaps purchasing half a steer.

I don't recall exactly how much we spent at Rare, but it was just the two of us, and we did appetizers, salads, entrees, and split a dessert. Add a few drinks before dinner & a couple glasses of wine, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was somewhere around $3-400.

We don't go out to places like that terribly often, but we were staying at a romantic little B&B down near New Glarus for beer bacon & cheese, so we made the drive up to Madison for a nice dinner. It was definitely worth it, and I'd certainly go back there again, budget permitting.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
No Old Bay?

Out of the way, girls.

I grew up off the Chesapeake Bay. As stated previously, Baltimore is in the house.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your father in law wouldn't by chance raise beef cattle in WI, would he? I'd be very interested in speaking with him about perhaps purchasing half a steer.

I don't recall exactly how much we spent at Rare, but it was just the two of us, and we did appetizers, salads, entrees, and split a dessert. Add a few drinks before dinner & a couple glasses of wine, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was somewhere around $3-400.

We don't go out to places like that terribly often, but we were staying at a romantic little B&B down near New Glarus for beer bacon & cheese, so we made the drive up to Madison for a nice dinner. It was definitely worth it, and I'd certainly go back there again, budget permitting.

He is in Wisconsin as well (Southwest), but he doesn't sell off the farm anymore. Hard feelings with a friend a long time ago, and he swore it off. He does things the way he prefers, and doesn't budge. It's a shame too, since his farm/herd is essentially certifiable organic, and I'd love to see him to consider how he goes to market to capitalize on that. Nope, he'll take them to the conventional auctions like he always has, and "that's that"!

I guess I can't fault him, as he does it for the love of it now, his passion is in the bloodlines, the breeding, calving, etc. Gorgeous herd of registered Herefords, and selling them off is just a part of the process, not his main objective.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post