SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crabcakes? and a question about the SF cookbook
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crabcakes? and a question about the SF cookbook Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
I haven't been around as much as I should be, so I apologize if I missed it.. What's the status on the cookbook?

Now... To the matter at hand: Crabcakes! I had the most amazing crabcake at a restaurant in Madison last summer. Last night I tried to duplicate it, and it was my first attempt. Never made them before. SWMBO sang their praises, but I wasn't impressed.

Anybody have a good recipe?

For reference, the one I used:

1lb crab meat (I bought refrigerated, pasteurized, lump)
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs worcestershire
1/2 tsp hot sauce
20 crushed ritz crackers
1 egg

Panfry in vegetable oil. I found them to be too wet for my liking, and the flavor of the crab did not really come through.

Anybody have a better one? Like a STELLAR recipe?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a fair one. If I can find it I will post. Every decent one I have seen included capers, and some have a little green onion. I like them cooked in olive oil and butter.

Crab cakes are one of the few things I would almost rather eat out than cook.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:... What's the status on the cookbook?

It's on my list.

I have been work busy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...s-or-fritters-recipe

Or watch Giada De Laurentiis on Crab Cakes, I want whatever shes' having....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/vid...is-crab-cake-0191063

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:... What's the status on the cookbook?

It's on my list.

I have been work busy.

No problem. That's the answer I was hoping for! What I didn't want to see was "Oh, you missed the thread to order, and orders are closed, it's already been printed!"

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
These are the best I've had. Keep in mind I hate celery so I'm a little different.

http://www.pauladeen.com/crab-cakes

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of all that red bell pepper and other stuff. I really want to taste the crab.

That recipe from Alton looks promising. I should have just tried that to begin with, he's usually a winner. Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't know the entire recipe we use, but keep it simple and keep the bread crumbs to the minimum to get the cakes to stick together. This could make it a little harder to flip them if frying. But we actually broil our crab cakes and they always turn out great.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Less is more.

1 pound of lump crabmeat
1 egg, beaten
Old Bay Seasoning, to taste
1/4 seasoned bread crumbs.

Mix well but not enough to break up the crab lumps.

You want just enough egg and breadcrumbs so the crab sticks together.

Form into 4-6 rounded cakes, sauté in butter of broil until browned.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The canned stuff isn't great, try to find the kind in plastic containers. Costco has decent lump crab meat.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The canned stuff isn't great, try to find the kind in plastic containers. Costco has decent lump crab meat.

Yep, I actually used one in a bag, similar to the way tuna comes now. It was fresh, in the refrigerator section.

I wanted the stuff in the plastic tubs, but was unable to locate it.

I would NEVER use the canned stuff. YUCK!!

No Cosco within 100 miles of me. Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I haven't been around as much as I should be, so I apologize if I missed it.. What's the status on the cookbook?

Now... To the matter at hand: Crabcakes! I had the most amazing crabcake at a restaurant in Madison last summer. Last night I tried to duplicate it, and it was my first attempt. Never made them before. SWMBO sang their praises, but I wasn't impressed.

Anybody have a good recipe?

For reference, the one I used:

1lb crab meat (I bought refrigerated, pasteurized, lump)
1/2 cup mayo
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs worcestershire
1/2 tsp hot sauce
20 crushed ritz crackers
1 egg

Panfry in vegetable oil. I found them to be too wet for my liking, and the flavor of the crab did not really come through.

Anybody have a better one? Like a STELLAR recipe?

Use Colemans dry mustard, not dijon mustard. Less Mayo makes them less wet, I really don't like ritz crackers and think you're better off with Italian Breadcrumbs or just bread crumbs.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Less is more.

1 pound of lump crabmeat
1 egg, beaten

Here y'all go. This is the LFW.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Less is more.

1 pound of lump crabmeat
1 egg, beaten

This is an excellent recipe, I'd just add some Colemans dry mustard to it to taste and use it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I hate you guys. Always giving me something new to try Wink

The last few times I've come to the forum, I've left hungry. Dammit. I think it was just some chips and dip last time.

ETA. I just rummaged the frig for crabmeat and realized my husband threw it out. Dammit again.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would use bread crumbs and not crackers.

Just a small dab of mayo. Too much mayo could be the culprit in hiding the crab flavor. The 1/2 cup in the OP's recipe seems like more than I would use. Crab is a delicate flavor.

Add a little finely chopped celery, green onion, and parsley. Not too much. They don't mask the crab, they enhance. And the difference in textures makes a huge difference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which restaurant, if you please (I work out of Madison)? L'Etoile?

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I would use bread crumbs and not crackers.

Just a small dab of mayo. Too much mayo could be the culprit in hiding the crab flavor. The 1/2 cup in the OP's recipe seems like more than I would use. Crab is a delicate flavor.

Add a little finely chopped celery, green onion, and parsley. Not too much. They don't mask the crab, they enhance. And the difference in textures makes a huge difference.

I make similar to you. The little needs emphasis on the celery and green onion. I'll usually add *small* amount of orange pepper. I do a bit more than a dab of mayo, but a lot less than 1/2 cup.

I use either broken up croutons or stale bread in the blender for my binder.

Reminds me I have crab in the fridge. Think I am going to use that for my baby's birthday tomorrow, I had been wondering what to make. I use half backfin and half lump when I make mine. It helps it to bind together, saves about $10, and tastes the same.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Crabcakes in Madison???
You gotta come to Baltimore hon!

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
This is what my mother would make.

They are great.

Mom’s Crab Cakes

Recipe By: Ethel
Yield: 12 Small Crab Cakes

Ingredients:

4 to 5 Round Rolls , Not fresh. Must be slightly dried. Break up for filling.
3 to 4 Stems Heart & Leaves of celery, Chopped
1/2 cup parsley
1 Onion, Finely Chopped
3 Hard Boiled Eggs, Chopped
Salt, to Taste
Pepper, to Taste
(null) Red Pepper or Tabasco, to Taste
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1/4 Pound Butter, Melted
2 Eggs, Beaten for use with Cracker Crumbs
1 Pound Crab Meat
10 Ounces Cracker Crumbs

Directions:

1. Beat the two eggs and roll in cracker crumbs, then again in cracker crumbs.

2. Deep Fry (350 degrees) until Brown.

3. Dip, roll in eggs (beaten) then in Corn Flakes.

4. Bake in 375 degree Oven 35 – 45 Minutes.

5. Do not deep fry too quickly.

6. They will hold together better mixed and left to stand for at least an hour before using.

Notes:

Points to remember about Crab Cakes:

a. Don’t fry in deep fat too fast.
b. Balls hold together better if mixed and left to stand approx. 1 hour before using.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post