SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Camera experts, your opinion is needed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camera experts, your opinion is needed. Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

Again if it is not a surprise she might want to look at a D500 or D810 also. I have a D500 and a D810 and they are both GREAT camera.

Keep in mind that the D500 DOES NOT have a pop-up flash. This is a major issue, IMO, and I would never consider the D500 because of this.

I use my pop-up flash on my D300 all the time. I would not spend the money on a camera without one. . .

Everyone has different priorities.

I can count the number of times in the last five years that I've used a built-in flash on a DSLR or Micro Four Thirds (basically a mirrorless mini-DSLR) camera on the fingers of zero hands.

Well, I take that back. I've occasionally used one, not as a flash, but as a trigger for an off-campus flash.

I find the harsh, flat light of direct, on-camera flash profoundly unappealing. I either take a real flash that I can use off-camera or bounce off a convenient wall or ceiling, or I get by with a high ISO setting and a fast lens and no flash.

I guess I could see using a built in flash for fill, but recent cameras have so much dynamic range that I almost never feel like I need fill flash. I'm not a professional that has to get one specific picture, I just move the camera or the subject and take a different picture.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got a Nikon D3400 it uses the DX version.
I still know very little about it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I recently got a Nikon D3400 it uses the DX version.
I still know very little about it.

From what I've read, it's a great little camera (and very capable, despite its small size). Get a how-to guide if you want to get the most out of it. Or, just shoot away on 'auto' setting and have fun with it. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Everyone has different priorities.

I can count the number of times in the last five years that I've used a built-in flash on a DSLR or Micro Four Thirds (basically a mirrorless mini-DSLR) camera on the fingers of zero hands.

Well, I take that back. I've occasionally used one, not as a flash, but as a trigger for an off-campus flash.

I find the harsh, flat light of direct, on-camera flash profoundly unappealing. I either take a real flash that I can use off-camera or bounce off a convenient wall or ceiling, or I get by with a high ISO setting and a fast lens and no flash.

I guess I could see using a built in flash for fill, but recent cameras have so much dynamic range that I almost never feel like I need fill flash. I'm not a professional that has to get one specific picture, I just move the camera or the subject and take a different picture.

Good point.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The Nikonians forums are a good resource. You have to sign up to get in but there is no cost and they extend your membership based on new posts, posting a picture, etc. There is a fee involved if you want greater access. They have forums on the different models like D7XXX, D500, etc that have a lot of information available. I have had a D200 for a long time and am looking at upgrading. The D500 is the go to unit for me but I have been waffling between that and the D7500 because of the D500's lack of a built in flash. But, the more I think about it, most of my flash shots I use the SB800 flash unit and not the camera's built in flash. About the only time I use the built in flash is if I am in a giant hurry. So, maybe it's not such a drawback.

Here is the Nikonians Link: Nikonians Photography Forum

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The 750 is an excellent camera. She will be able to use her existing lenses without issue. I shoot a 610, but my partner that I occasionally shoot weddings with uses a 750. Next wedding I do I'm upgrading and moving the 610 to back up.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a D750 and have been a Nikon user since the 60's. In terms of lens compatibility it will meter properly with ANY Nikon lens that features an AI style aperture ring. What it wont meter properly with, or even be safe to have mounted have mounted, is the Nikkors with the original "hog nose" aperture coupling. Note, these original style lenses lack a critical cut out in the rear surface of the aperture ring and simply mounting these lenses can BREAKthe aperture coupling ring on the body of the D750 or D70.

The D750 will also work properly in Autofocus with the older style AF Nikkors that relied on a AF drive motor in the camera because the D750 has this critical motor and the slotted drive coupling for the lens.

Sum it up and the D750 will use ANY Nikon lens made after 1978 with just a couple of exceptions. One exception is the Mirror Nikkors because they need to have a clearance notch milled into the rear surface of the lens mount to clear the aperture coupling. In addition the AF Nikkors developed for the F3AF (a total of just 2 or 3 lenses) cannot be used on the D750.

As for image quality, compared to the D70 it is beyond belief. As is the low light performance. As for the use of the smaller format DX lenses, the camera will automatically change to this format as soon as the lens is mounted.

Having read some of the prior posts concerning DX lenses on an FX body my head is about to explode. When you mount a DX lens on an FX body the camera will AUTOMATICALLY change over to the DX format and only use the central 2/3 of the image sensor. So, no problems with vignetting or the lenses not working, they will in fact work just fine. Many times I have mounted the 18-105 VR I normally use on my D300 to have a lighter package when wandering around. Because the 24-120 VR I purchased with my D750 is HUGE in comparison to the DX format lens. About the only loss to using a DX format lens on an FX format body is you do have a bit less resolution in the image because you are only using the central 2/3 of the image sensor, effectively making it a 16mp camera instead of 24. Something your wife wont notice at all because her D70 is a 6mp camera.

One additional note concerning a DX lens on an FX body. If you borrow down deep enough in the menus you can set the camera to to use the FX format when a DX lens is mounted and with most DX lenses this will produce severe vignetting. However this particular setting is rather difficult to engage so you don't have to be concerned about that happening by accident. It's a setting that on rare occasion can provide for an interesting artistic effect but IMO not really that useful because you can do the same in any decent photo editor.

PS: Remember that on the Net there is a LOT of misinformation posted by folks who have a need to post despite having zero direct experience of what they are claiming. If you doubt my experience for any reason then go to the Nikon USA web site where you will find everything I have stated is 100% correct. The D750 will in fact serve perfectly well as a DX format camera when a DX camera lens is mounted. I will also note that the D750 body is actually slightly lighter than the older D300, so with a DX lens in use the D750 can actually be rather easy to carry.

PSS; While a good bit more expensive the 24-120 FX format zoom has great optical qualities. I took a pic of a cousin water skiing at about 200 yards and after cropping the image to something around the perspective of a 400mm lens the image quality was retained well enough for a really nice looking 8x10. Did not expect that at all when I took the picture and have since become totally sold on the value of 24mp and this lens. About the only negative is that it is a freaking tank compared to the 18-105 on my D300 and not much fun to lug around on a long hike.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great info. I appreciate all the input. Time to make a decision.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Nikon guy, but I'd like to summarize and reiterate a few points others have made. Background: I've been photographing (amateur) since I was a wee lad. My first "real" camera was a Canon A-1, which I bought in the late '70s. I had Nikon F-3 kit for a while in the late 90s, and moved into digital with a couple of Nikon Point & Shoots. Since then, I've been back to Canon, having a 5D Mark II, then Mark III, and now Mark IV. I shoot mostly landscapes, which is my passion, particularly the desert southwest.

quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I would say if she has decided the D750 is what she wants, buy it. Cameras are a very personal thing for the user and if you choose something else it will not be "her" camera.

This, in spades. Particularly since she has 35 years experience. I know that, for me, I'd appreciate a gift of a camera, but I'm very picky about what I want. I can imagine, with her background, she would be the same. So ask her.

quote:
Anything today will be a couple orders of magnitude better than a 10-12 yr old digital camera.

Definitely true. For me, although "cheaping out" with the last model might be tempting, I tend to go with the latest and greatest, as I'll likely keep it for a while. This is true for me with cameras, computers and guns.

quote:
Keep in mind that the D500 DOES NOT have a pop-up flash. This is a major issue, IMO, and I would never consider the D500 because of this.

As a landscape photographer, I don't use a flash at all. (Of course, the 5D doesn't have a flash, so maybe I don't use it because I don't have it...?) I actually do have an off-camera flash for fill, but it rarely gets pulled out. Your wife's needs may vary though. (See my first point....)

quote:
Get a how-to guide if you want to get the most out of it. Or, just shoot away on 'auto' setting and have fun with it. . .

Yes, get the aftermarket how-to guide. Although the owner's manual has all the information, the aftermarket guides tell you when and why to do things. And they are generally easier to read. And I went a step further - I created "cheat sheets" for some of the more critical things - focusing and metering - that I'd need to know more frequently. My 5D has 3 focusing modes and 7 focusing methods, for example, and that's through the viewfinder, not counting how you do it in "live view" (the touch-screen on the back of the camera).

One last thing - that Hound Dog guy sounds pretty smart on this stuff too!

Good luck!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soooo, Mr. BlueCobra, what was the verdict? Did you discuss it with her or surprise her? What'd she get?

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post