SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Camera experts, your opinion is needed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camera experts, your opinion is needed. Login/Join 
posted
My wife has an older Nikon camera, not sure of the model, but it is digital, but at least 10-12 years old. It was the shnizz back when she bought it, but needs to be replaced.

She has been looking at the Nikon D750 and thinks it is the one to get. Her birthday is coming up and I need to make a decision.

She will only consider Nikon cameras and would like to be able to use all of her lenses that she already has on this new purchase. I think that she would be able to use them on the D750. So I would only need the camera body, which will save a little money.

UPDATE - her current camera is a Nikon D70.
Your opinion is appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bluecobra,

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the 750 is a full frame sensor (FX vs smaller DX sensor). This distinction is critical, as that will determine lens compatibility.

Anything today will be a couple orders of magnitude better than a 10-12 yr old digital camera.

I just went from a 12-yr old body to a 7-yr old body, and the difference is remarkable.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have a number of DX lenses, so when it was time to upgrade I went with the D5300. Great camera and no regrets in getting it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
My wife has an older Nikon camera, not sure of the model, but it is digital, but at least 10-12 years old. It was the shnizz back when she bought it, but needs to be replaced.

She has been looking at the Nikon D750 and thinks it is the one to get. Her birthday is coming up and I need to make a decision.

She will only consider Nikon cameras and would like to be able to use all of her lenses that she already has on this new purchase. I think that she would be able to use them on the D750. So I would only need the camera body, which will save a little money.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Need to know whether her lenses are DX or FX lenses. Was the old camera an FX Sensor "full frame" (FX = 35 mm Equivalent) or the smaller DX sensor? If the current lenses are DX lenses and you go with the D750, you are looking at needing to replace lenses.

You might want to look at the D7500 if she has DX lenses. Availability might be an issue as I believe this is a newly released model.

Nikon D7500 Link

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
IIRC, the 750 is a full frame sensor (FX vs smaller DX sensor). This distinction is critical, as that will determine lens compatibility.

Anything today will be a couple orders of magnitude better than a 10-12 yr old digital camera.

Absolutely correct on both points.

While Nikon has maintained backwards-compatible mounting capability for their entire line of glass, there's still a significant difference between full frame and cropped sensors (and the lenses that are designed to work with them), so if she's got a bunch of DX (cropped) lenses and buys an FX (full frame) camera (like the D750), she'll essentially get a blown up image. I think it's roughly 150%, IIRC.

There's nothing wrong at all with whatever Nikon's current models are and whatever she gets, as Hound Dog notes, will be exponentially better than what she has now. It's just a question of sticking with DX or FX, depending on what she's shooting with now, or adjusting to some cropping issues.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
As stated, it would be great if you could provide the model number of the old camera. Besides the FX/DX issues, we can offer better advice.

I use this site for ALL of my camera-related purchase decisions: kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm

He has outstanding reviews. He also has a common-sense approach to photography, in that he emphasizes your artistic ability over what gear you use. It really is the person behind the camera, and not the camera itself, that is responsible for "taking good photos."

If looking at the 750, look at the 800- and 600- series, as well (the 600-, 700-, 800-, and D5 are FX; the 3400, 5600, 7500, and D500 series are DX). More money generally gets you more bells and whistles and ergonomics; not always more capability. . . Rockwell often recommends the cheaper cameras, as they often have the same sensors (the really important part) as the more expensive models.

An expensive camera won't make you a 'good photographer' any more than an expensive gun will make you s good marksman.

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
As others have said knowing the lenses she currently has will allow us to provide some better suggestions.

DX lenses will mount and work on an FX camera. Many of the lenses(DX lens on an FX body) especially the zooms will give you a lot of vignetting. A few will work fine and cover the entire larger DX sensor(these will mostly be prime lenses).

If she has a good investment of DX lenses I would stay with a DX camera.

What is she planning to use the camera for?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
An expensive camera won't make you a 'good photographer' any more than an expensive gun will make you s good marksman.

These days, I don't think it's an overstatement to say that almost any DSLR from a major brand will be more capable than any user short of a professional photographer. I know that's certainly true of me.

I learned to shoot on my dad's old Canon F-1 and I know plenty enough to know that I'm not using my current Nikon D3500 to nearly it's full potential. You still have to know what you're doing.

All I know for sure is that you can't really blame it on the camera. Smile

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

These days, I don't think it's an overstatement to say that almost any DSLR from a major brand will be more capable than any user short of a professional photographer. I know that's certainly true of me.

Both of these are very true. Also, good lenses are more important than the camera body for almost situations. Lenses will outlast camera bodies every time. Invest in good glass over a body.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
As others have said, if she wants to continue using her DX lenses she'll have to stay with the DX format. The Nikon 7xxx series has a lot to offer.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24: Also, good lenses are more important than the camera body for almost situations. Lenses will outlast camera bodies every time. Invest in good glass over a body.

I think that used to be more true than it is today. Unless you are getting the multi-thousand dollar professional lenses, I wouldn't expect the lifetime of use we used to. Beyond the build quality, the electronics driving the internal motors will be obsolete long before the optical portions are done.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Most DX lenses will work on the D750. The camera cuts down the sensor size, resulting in a 1.5x crop (images appear zoomed in by 50%), and you lose resolution because you are only using the center portion of the sensor. You also lose about 2 stops of subject separation compared to the same aperture on a FX sensor.

That is to say, an FX body will get the everything out of your current selection of DX lenses (assuming you bought DX lenses), but the lenses won't get the most out of the body. You could upgrade to an FX body, then upgrade your DX lenses down the road.

This all assumes you have DX lenses. I have FX lenses from many years ago that I've been shooting on a DX body waiting for a future upgrade to an FX body...so there's a chance your wife bought nice FX lenses a long time ago either not knowing what they were or in anticipation of one day upgrading the body to an FX sensor.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24: Also, good lenses are more important than the camera body for almost situations. Lenses will outlast camera bodies every time. Invest in good glass over a body.

I think that used to be more true than it is today. Unless you are getting the multi-thousand dollar professional lenses, I wouldn't expect the lifetime of use we used to. Beyond the build quality, the electronics driving the internal motors will be obsolete long before the optical portions are done.

Good point. Nikon has been putting out G lenses for a while now without an external aperture ring. Although Nikon has been pretty good about making all their lenses backward compatible, I wonder what will happen when lens and body firmware no longer work together and you have no aperture ring to work with.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I have a number of DX lenses, so when it was time to upgrade I went with the D5300. Great camera and no regrets in getting it.

Jim

I agree. I got a 5300 late last year and have loved it so far!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I got an update. Her old camera is a D70, which I think is a DX camera? So her lenses must be DX as well, right?

She has been a photographer for 35 years, though not professionally, for the last 15. But she is picky, does more stills, landscapes, and wildlife shooting. Lots of zoom lense use.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I got an update. Her old camera is a D70, which I think is a DX camera? So her lenses must be DX as well, right?

She has been a photographer for 35 years, though not professionally, for the last 15. But she is picky, does more stills, landscapes, and wildlife shooting. Lots of zoom lense use.

Well if she has some lenses she wants to use I would stay with a DX body.

The DX also has a 150% crop. Meaning a 200mm will be the equivalent of a 300mm on the old 35mm standard or the FX bodies.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

You would have to look at the lenses themselves, as one can use full frame lenses on a DX formatted camera.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say if she has decided the D750 is what she wants, buy it. Cameras are a very personal thing for the user and if you choose something else it will not be "her" camera. If it is not going to be a surprise tell her what you intend to do and then discuss with her what she wants and what lenses she has or intends to get. Perhaps she is thinking long term of going to FX. Her present lenses will work on the D750 for now and she might just have a mix of older film lenses and DX lenses. The film lenses are already FX compatible. The great thing about Nikon is with a very few much older exceptions all of those lenses will work on that body. Again if it is not a surprise she might want to look at a D500 or D810 also. I have a D500 and a D810 and they are both GREAT camera. Right now B&H and others have some excellent deals on the more pro oriented cameras, the D500 and the D810. I will just about guarantee you will be a hero if you can economically justify one of those. D500 is DX and D810 is FX. More expensive, yes but if the D750 is within reach those other two are not that much more.
Very happy wife, very happy life! Smile

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We looked at the D750 and others in that class for our PI business but settled on D7100's because they were less expensive and less pain if one got destroyed. We were also looking for good low light performance.

The D750 is a great camera.

Here is an article from BH Photo regarding DX vs FX sensors.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/e...ot-debate-its-choice

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

Again if it is not a surprise she might want to look at a D500 or D810 also. I have a D500 and a D810 and they are both GREAT camera.

Keep in mind that the D500 DOES NOT have a pop-up flash. This is a major issue, IMO, and I would never consider the D500 because of this.

I use my pop-up flash on my D300 all the time. I would not spend the money on a camera without one. . .