SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6** Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m not a watch guy, but those are tempting. I can see how it could be an expensive habit(addiction).

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
My daily wear is a solar powered atomic Casio Protrek.

But I do like the watches in the OP.
If one buys an automatic watch just for special occasions, how do you keep it wound?

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You shake the snot out of it before you set it? I’m not a fan of watch winders personally. I know this is a HIGHLY controversial subject but for me at least my “special occasion” automatics lay dormant until it’s time to be used. Sometimes they will go 3-4 weeks between use but I try to rotate my autos so they all get some wrist time. I think occasional use mixed with periods of dormancy is better than constant use on a watch winder where they are not even being enjoyed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^Nice looking watches, tho I usually prefer some form of crown guards and a Quartz movement as I tend to switch watches frequently and don't have watch winders...

And since other brands are being mentioned, check out the Momentum Torpedo Series (made right next door in Canada)...if you go with the mineral crystal, ~$100 range on a Nato strap.

Nutnfancy's take (and actually diving with them):

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzn5uPO3mZI

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If that was 39mm or maybe even 40mm, I'd probably try one. I like the flattened bracelet.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:I love their logo. It’s instantly recognizable, unique and quite creative.

If Chthulhu wore a dive watch, this would likely be it.

OTOH, I've just ordered THIS from Audaz - https://www.audazwatches.com/

The Octomarine also appears to be favoured by the Great Sleeping One in the Dark melancholic deeps of R'Lyeh - well, if you look at the back, that is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was hoping someone would see that logo and mention Chthulhu. Big Grin I used to call my Phoibos Wave Master my Chthulhu watch because of that cool octopus logo.

That’s a nice looking watch Tac! Helium escape valve too...looks like a serious dive watch. I am surprised Omega hasn’t released a variant of the Seamaster with a low profile helium escape valve. I suppose they don’t want to mess up its traditional look/style?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I was hoping someone would see that logo and mention Chthulhu. Big Grin I used to call my Phoibos Wave Master my Chthulhu watch because of that cool octopus logo.

That’s a nice looking watch Tac! Helium escape valve too...looks like a serious dive watch. I am surprised Omega hasn’t released a variant of the Seamaster with a low profile helium escape valve. I suppose they don’t want to mess up its traditional look/style?

I agree, which is why I only have the one Seamaster. My 1971 Flightmaster makes up for it, though!!

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The baseline Christopher Ward (diver) at close to $950 has lost the value proposition when great Seikos (Prospex) are in the $300-500 range.

I'll have to check out Phoibus

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by rOgue,
quote:
If that was 39mm or maybe even 40mm, I'd probably try one. I like the flattened bracelet.

39mm you say Rogue....Hmmm. What do you think about this 39mm Baltic Aquascaphe? I’m quite intrigued by its classic looks and small size. There are not a lot of 39mm divers out there in the micro brand world so this one is on my radar. I’d miss having a date window but otherwise it’s quite tempting. The movement is basically the same as a 9015 but without the date complication and slightly lower set hands.

Link to Baltic’s website

Specs:
CuAL8 BRONZE CASE (Or 316 SS)
UNIDIRECTIONAL BRONZE BEZEL
DOUBLE DOMED SAPPHIRE GLASS
SUNRAY BLUE DIAL 3/6/9/12 with "Super-Luminova"
CASE SIZE : 39MM (diameter) X 47MM (lug to lug)
THICKNESS : 12MM
AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT MIYOTA 9039
SCREW DOWN CROWN
NIGHT BLUE SOFT RUBBER STRAP & BRONZE BUCKLE
WATER RESISTANCE : 200M (20ATM)
NUMBERED FIRST 300pcs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
They are clearly taking expensive popular watches and cloning them. I can see direct rip offs of Rolex, Paerai and Brightlings that I own. I'm sure the watches I don't recognize are clones of others I just don't know.

Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from ordering one. There's nothing wrong with a good clone. I would order an Eagle Ray PX023B right now if they were in stock!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
If you want to talk about 'serious' dive watches, you can look at the new Zelos Abyss III...~$800...and probably enough ballast to drag you to the bottom Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT2mUaj8qxQ

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Zelos is amazing. Elshan Tang stands behind the watches his company (Zelos) makes 100%! When the date wheel in my bronze Mako V2 began to misalign every other day I sent him an email and the next day I had a response along with a shipping label. They fixed my watch no questions asked and at no cost in 4 weeks total. Eek Cool

I don’t even think it was Zelos’s fault, the Sellita SW200 movement was the culprit and from what I’ve read online other people have had similar quality control issues with that movement. It’s not a super common problem though and I have lots of watches with Sellita SW200 movements that have been flawless but it’s nice to know a watch company will stand behind their product. I’ll have a gorgeous Zelos Horizons GMT in a few weeks when they start shipping. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by esdunbar
quote:
They are clearly taking expensive popular watches and cloning them. I can see direct rip offs of Rolex, Paerai and Brightlings that I own. I'm sure the watches I don't recognize are clones of others I just don't know.

Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from ordering one. There's nothing wrong with a good clone. I would order an Eagle Ray PX023B right now if they were in stock!

Some of Phoibos’s watches are obvious copies/homages and others are a bit more subtle and take design elements from a few popular watches. The Wave Master for example with its gorgeous wavy dial reminds me of my Seamaster while the case shape has a bit of a Tudor Black Bay vibe going. For the money they really do offer quite a bit and while there are other more original micro brands out there Phoibos is one that I think provides the best bang for your buck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by esdunbar
quote:

Some of Phoibos’s watches are obvious copies/homages and others are a bit more subtle and take design elements from a few popular watches. The Wave Master for example with its gorgeous wavy dial reminds me of my Seamaster while the case shape has a bit of a Tudor Black Bay vibe going. For the money they really do offer quite a bit and while there are other more original micro brands out there Phoibos is one that I think provides the best bang for your buck.

Just saw this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8izNCg4-mgc

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
280nosler, That video sent me down a rabbit hole researching counterfeit Omega Seamaster watches. The counterfeiters have already released a second (or maybe it’s a 3rd Gen) replica that corrects the flaws pointed out in that YouTube video. Believe it or not the best counterfeiters intentionally screw up minor details so they can sell their current watch (even with its small flaws) then a few months later they release a Ver 2.0 that corrects most if not all of the obvious flaws in the appearance of the watch.

Some of the high end super clones/counterfeits are scary good. The attention to detail, fit and finish etc is WAAAAY better than it should be. In fact some of the 2nd and 3rd gen fakes are so good that even someone who is into watches wouldn’t be able to tell it is fake. Unless you have a real one to hold next to it or open it up they are scary good even perfectly matching the intricate tiny etchings on the back of the case that most people wouldn’t notice. Size matching to the exact dimensions of the real Seamaster is one aspect that they still struggle at marching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
stickman428, PHOIBOS should thank you for selling a watch today.
I emailed the link and asked the wife what color she liked.
I have a cheap solar Casio I wear as a dress watch, it's nothing special..
Told her I was thinking about buying one of these.
She said she liked the blue and for me to order it, says she will pay me back and it can be my Father's Day gift..

So I thank you for the idea..1LL

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up. How's the bracelet?

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
280nosler, That video sent me down a rabbit hole researching counterfeit Omega Seamaster watches. The counterfeiters have already released a second (or maybe it’s a 3rd Gen) replica that corrects the flaws pointed out in that YouTube video. Believe it or not the best counterfeiters intentionally screw up minor details so they can sell their current watch (even with its small flaws) then a few months later they release a Ver 2.0 that corrects most if not all of the obvious flaws in the appearance of the watch.

Some of the high end super clones/counterfeits are scary good. The attention to detail, fit and finish etc is WAAAAY better than it should be. In fact some of the 2nd and 3rd gen fakes are so good that even someone who is into watches wouldn’t be able to tell it is fake. Unless you have a real one to hold next to it or open it up they are scary good even perfectly matching the intricate tiny etchings on the back of the case that most people wouldn’t notice. Size matching to the exact dimensions of the real Seamaster is one aspect that they still struggle at marching.

When I watched that, it took a solid 3-4 minutes of stopping starting and zooming in before I cold tell. Owning a few high end watches these days, I would not buy any more. My Omega cost $700 two years ago to be overhauled (14 years old, 2nd maintenance), and my Tag was in 8 months ago and set me back $350. I sold me other Omega (1st Gen Planet Ocean) in 2018 because it was on the verge of needing service, was poor at keeping time, and 1st maintenance was gonna be $450. All constantly use watch winders (autos), so I like to find value watches to wear more often. I am back to wearing my Prospex now, but have my eye on a few under $500.