SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6** Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Phoibos is a neat micro brand based out of Hong Kong that is known for providing excellent watches at very fair prices. They make robust tool watches with Swiss and Japanese movements (quartz and automatic) and standard features you would expect to see on much more expensive watches. When you compare a Phoibos to say a Seiko Turtle or Samurai the Phoibos is just as solid, has a sapphire crystal and the same movement as the Seiko but for about 1/2 the price.

The name PHOIBOS comes from Ancient Greek Mythology and is the other name of the God of light and sun, Apollo. The meaning of PHOIBOS is “Bright, Shining One.” Ok, it’s a strange name but I love their logo. It’s instantly recognizable, unique and quite creative.

Phoibos just released their newest diver the Proteus and is running a 15% off sale on them until May 27th. Coupon code is “PROTEUS”. If this watch sells as well as their Wave Master (and I think it will) it might be a watch you could wear for a while then unload for more than you paid. Used automatic models like the Wave Master tend to sell quickly on the fleabay and often at surprising prices.

Link to Phoibos Proteus website

Those meteorite dials are neat but I’m torn between the sand texture dial in white or blue.

I love that logo. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Dangit, I'm saving my mad money for a 365.

OTOH, Fathers day is coming up Cool Liking that blue one

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I picked up the PY007B 300m watch a few weeks ago for $299.

Its the first dive watch that I've bought and the most I've ever spent on a watch.

I'm impressed with the quality of the watch.

I was just at the Phoibos website checking the new Proteus watch out when I checked back in to Sigforum and found this post about the watch. the watch looks great.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have some great looking watches, thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
1s1k, I highly recommend trying to track down a Phoibos Wave Master. I’m not sure if Phoibos is in the process of making more Wave Masters since they are sold out currently. There are a few color variations out there on the used market. The green/black Mother of Pearl on is on my radar as is the white dial version.

I pulled the trigger on a white sand dial Proteus. Big Grin It’ll be a good change and balance out my Wave Master. You can’t really see it in this pic but when the sun hits this dial you notice it has a bit of gray mixed into the black sunburst dial which was then engraved with waves. It’s honestly just as interesting a dial as some of the current Omega watches. The waves do look like they are moving under the right light just like my old Seamaster. Fully lumed ceramic bezel insert too! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look terrific. You have to stop doing this. I bought an Orient Ray II automatic from Jomashop two weeks ago after you posted about them. Then last year I bought a refurbished Seiko with a new movement from Madmod after you posted about them.

My favorite watches are my Seikos, and now my Orient.

I can't remember if I bought from Jomashop years ago or not. I like that they have the Orients now. I remember seeing Orients on some foreign web sight years ago. I really do like my Orient but also like that they are sort of rare. I don't believe that you can walk into a jewelry store and see Orients in there. At least no jewelry store that I've ever been in.

Anyway, I'm actually glad that you post about your watches periodically. It gets me looking and buying.

Here is a link to the watch I bought. I really like the two Phoibos at the top of of your post. They're gorgeous.

https://www.jomashop.com/orient-watch-faa02005d9.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wbw,

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
wow that is sharp!

I never heard of them, just jumped on the sea nymph waiting list for my daughter.

I am maxed out on watches for me this year!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5130 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
wbw, I’m glad you are enjoying your Orient Ray! They are such amazing watches and incredibly underrated in the watch world. Seiko enthusiasts know about em but sadly they don’t get enough recognition.

This is arguably one of the best sub $400 divers ever made and IMO THE Orient diver to own. SKX007 like case but with an in-house movement that has hand winding and hacking! Mine has a great bezel action with perfect alignment and a pretty cool power reserve indicator. Lots of people don’t care about a power reserve indicator or complain about how it impacts the dial and aesthetics but personally I love them, I like to know how ordinary day to day activities charge up the power reserve. Mine is keeping stupid good time. +/- 5 seconds a day.

Orient Triton (now renamed the Neptune)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the intro. I have a few Orients.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Damn. You guys are going to get me into watches. Never heard of Phoibos or Orient but will have to check them out. I currently have a couple of Casios and a Citizen. Definitely more of a fan of the bracelet band than plastic band, though my primary watch is a Casio G-Shock I have worn nearly everyday for 11+ years.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Screw the Bond Omega.....I'll take one with the Spectre logo!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an addiction. My latest (and last for a while) is a 41 mm Longines Hydroconquest with the blue face.

Is it crazy to research the next watch more than the next vehicle?

That Phoibos is beautiful...there are some finds out there. I remember when I picked up my Christopher Ward Malvern C5 auto about 8 years ago for $315.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Edmond, you have to be careful with watches....especially nice divers with Swiss or Japanese made high beat movements because they are HIGHLY addictive. It wasn’t too long ago my only watch was a bright red G-Shock rescue that told me the time as well as the current tide in VA Beach as well as the moon phase.

There is a certain feeling of satisfaction knowing the watch on my wrist is 100% powered by my movement and will go for years without needing any service. They are engineering and mechanical masterpieces a true triumph for mankind....Especially the watches with sapphire crystal display case backs that showcase their beautiful movements. I suppose you could call them functional modern art...they are hands down more beautiful that most of the garbage people call modern art.

It’s funny because I used to just view a watch as a thing that told time, a basic tool and something that I could (and did) easily replace if I lost it surfing. I’m a bit more educated now. Oddly enough it was a Citizen eco drive that sparked my interest in watches. Once I got my first automatic though it was game over. I had no interest in wearing anything but an automatic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Once I got my first automatic though it was game over. I had no interest in wearing anything but an automatic.

Why automatic?

All my watches are solar charge.

Are Seiko watches good?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Why auto? Because they have character! When you wear it you can feel the rotor (thing that charges the power reserve) spin. Seiko autos have a rotor that kinda clicks or clinks when it spins (Swiss movements are smoother/quieter) It’s just kind of a neat feature on automatics. I actually like the Seiko’s louder rotor. I really appreciate a design that can beat at 28,800 beats per hour and still last for years...THAT is IMO an engineering marvel worth owning. Yes, I know the Seiko 4R36 has a slower beat rate but 21,600 beats per hour is still quite a bit!! I primarily wear watches with ETA 28XX high beat movements now. I love my slower beat rate Seiko and Tissot divers too.

Instead of a tick every second the second hand has a smooth sweep to it. I like that quite a bit.

I didn’t take this pic but I love how someone captured one of my favorite watches (a Seiko PADI Turtle) and its 6 ticks it makes every second. Cool

Yes, to answer your question Seiko automatics are exquisite watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Edmond, you have to be careful with watches....especially nice divers with Swiss or Japanese made high beat movements because they are HIGHLY addictive. It wasn’t too long ago my only watch was a bright red G-Shock rescue that told me the time as well as the current tide in VA Beach as well as the moon phase.

There is a certain feeling of satisfaction knowing the watch on my wrist is 100% powered by my movement and will go for years without needing any service. They are engineering and mechanical masterpieces a true triumph for mankind....Especially the watches with sapphire crystal display case backs that showcase their beautiful movements. I suppose you could call them functional modern art...they are hands down more beautiful that most of the garbage people call modern art.

It’s funny because I used to just view a watch as a thing that told time, a basic tool and something that I could (and did) easily replace if I lost it surfing. I’m a bit more educated now. Oddly enough it was a Citizen eco drive that sparked my interest in watches. Once I got my first automatic though it was game over. I had no interest in wearing anything but an automatic.

Come on now. I absolutely love my Skyhawk AT Titanium Blue Angels Edition. Atomic sync FTW.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Eco drives don’t have a clear hood showcasing that beautiful engine.

This baby was designed and assembled in Baltimore MD. It has a Citizen (Miyota 9015 automatic winding) movement too. It’s a damn shame Citizen focuses so much on their eco drives and basically ignores the automatic market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Omega takes the display case back and elevates it to a form of high art.

These are masterpieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
That Spectre-ish logo is sexy... pretty neat in contrast to the 007 styling.

There are so many cool sub $500 autos out there right now. Phoibos is definitely up there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Stickman. Would never have heard of this brand if not for your glowing mention in the Watch thread in the gallery section. I have a Reef Master PY015C that is of excellent quality!

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post