SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6** Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Funny you should post that vid as I’m wearing a fake Rolex Submariner today. I bought it about 20 years ago when I was in Chicago visiting a friend. We had a few beers and a dude was literally selling them out Of a suitcase on the street at like 2:00 am.

I paid something like 50 bucks for it. My dad had the exact same same watch and when I saw him next, I asked if I could see his watch. When I gave it back to him I gave him my fake and he had no idea.

20 years later I still like it! I call it my non-swimming model. Razz. I have a couple real Rolex’s but never bought the black face one because this one works just fine. Only thing is the bezel is scratched up and my real ones don’t scratch as easily.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Thank God I'm not a watch man. That's serious eye candy.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Well...if you're gonna pursue eye candy - this is a less risky alternative.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am LOVING my silver/“white” dial Proteus! So far it has vastly exceeded my expectations in build quality. The fit and finish, bezel action, and overall quality are all above what you would expect a watch costing twice as much. The bezel is the best I’ve seen on a Phoibos and for the money it’s just stupid smooth & good. I like the style it reminds me a guess of a baby Seiko Samurai but with teeth & a sandy dial. It’s robust, unique and different. I really like it so far!

Versatile. I had spare bracelet so I tried it on the new Phoibos. It’s so comfortable and looks better than I expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Nice! I like the black bracelet best. How long does it glow?

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The lume lasts all night. I think it has something like 15 coats of lume.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Seiko movement in mine is VERY good. I’ve worn it for about a day and a half and it’s only +5 seconds from atomic time.

There is a meme on the internet pertaining to how fast Seiko automatic movements run out of the box... Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
How often does Phoibos restock the ones that are out of stock? I would like a Wavemaster with the mother of pearl of face but it’s OOS.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure. It’s been a while though since any new Wave Masters have been in stock. The white and green MOP dial Wave Masters show up occasionally on eBay but they are somewhat rare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Does anybody have experience with Spinnaker Watches? I've been drooling over the Dumas model and like either the -33 or -88 colors.

https://www.spinnaker-watches.com/collections/dumas

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Phoibos PY006 Nice watch for the money.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That white face watch is now sold out, as are many other offerings.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m not surprised the white dial version sold out. It’s a neat watch! It isn’t actually white but it looks white from a distance. I have changed the bracelet three times already and I’ve pretty much settled on this Steinhart adjustable mesh. The big end links suit the chunky case and look great together. I love having over 12mm of micro adjustment at my fingertips.

Bring on that warm weather. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking about these watches. Big Grin

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quattro_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’m not surprised the white dial version sold out. It’s a neat watch! It isn’t actually white but it looks white from a distance. I have changed the bracelet three times already and I’ve pretty much settled on this Steinhart adjustable mesh. The big end links suit the chunky case and look great together. I love having over 12mm of micro adjustment at my fingertips.

Bring on that warm weather. Wink

These remind me a lot of the Seiko Samurai! I REALLY like the new Seiko Samurai, and recently picked up a SRPC93 "Save the Ocean" Samurai, to go with my black one. If they get the white dial version back in stock, I will likely pick one up!

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/s...i-dive-watch-review/

"Sometimes Magic sounds like Tape" -- The Amazing Johnathan

Posts: 1208 | Location: Redmond,WA | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Screw the Bond Omega.....I'll take one with the Spectre logo!

That's what I was thinking, it's the damn Spectre logo. I'll Schwarzkopf that on one wrist and an Omega Seamaster on the other wrist. LOL!!!!!

DB

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Bumping this thread. I went down the watch rabbit hole recently, and started watching a ton of YouTube videos. The fella that does the “Just One More Watch” channel got me interested in Phoibos, so I figured I’d see if there was any mention of them on Sigforum to see what people think of them. This thread helped... and it didn’t.

This Thanksgiving will be ten years since I quit smoking and my wife told me to pick out something nice as a gift to myself. So I started researching it now. Phoibos has me a bit conflicted. I know I want a diver, I know I would like to keep it under $200, but I want something pretty nice for the money. Phoibos seems to offer value in spades, but for something like this, I almost feel like buying an automatic that’s considered disposable once the movement fails is the wrong way to go, and a Seiko or Orient would be a better choice long-term.

So that’s kind of where I’m at, trying to decide if a Japanese movement in a Hong Kong watch with AR sapphire crystal is better than a Japanese movement in a Malaysian watch with mineral crystal and a more established, reputable name. For my budget, I’m more of a Costco/Glock/Mazda kind of person, so I’m thinking the Phoibos is probably the better value but the sentimental X factors are throwing the balancing of the equation off a bit.

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I was right on this one - or the Helm Vanuatu - both went out of stock instantly they were released - oh well---more money for ammo.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Bumping this thread. I went down the watch rabbit hole recently, and started watching a ton of YouTube videos. The fella that does the “Just One More Watch” channel got me interested in Phoibos, so I figured I’d see if there was any mention of them on Sigforum to see what people think of them. This thread helped... and it didn’t.

This Thanksgiving will be ten years since I quit smoking and my wife told me to pick out something nice as a gift to myself. So I started researching it now. Phoibos has me a bit conflicted. I know I want a diver, I know I would like to keep it under $200, but I want something pretty nice for the money. Phoibos seems to offer value in spades, but for something like this, I almost feel like buying an automatic that’s considered disposable once the movement fails is the wrong way to go, and a Seiko or Orient would be a better choice long-term.

So that’s kind of where I’m at, trying to decide if a Japanese movement in a Hong Kong watch with AR sapphire crystal is better than a Japanese movement in a Malaysian watch with mineral crystal and a more established, reputable name. For my budget, I’m more of a Costco/Glock/Mazda kind of person, so I’m thinking the Phoibos is probably the better value but the sentimental X factors are throwing the balancing of the equation off a bit.
the movements in a lot of these inexpensive autos are also inexpensive and can easily be replaced. Check out Deep Blue for another cheap but handsome dive watch option. I just got a Master 1000 for $180 amd love it. Clocked it this week and its about 50 seconds slow ober the last 6.5 days. It has a Seiko NH35 movement.

As for the awesome Phoibos logo, Omega ought to go ahead and make a true Spectre branded Seamaster. They'd sell the crap out of it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10484 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
the movements in a lot of these inexpensive autos are also inexpensive and can easily be replaced.

You know, being a complete neophyte, this never occurred to me. That changes things.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Check out Deep Blue for another cheap but handsome dive watch option. I just got a Master 1000 for $180 amd love it. Clocked it this week and its about 50 seconds slow ober the last 6.5 days. It has a Seiko NH35 movement.

Thanks, I'm looking at them now. This brand definitely seems worth doing some digging into. Smile

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post