SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of my favorite Hong Kong based watch micro brands just released a sweet new dive watch ** new watch released/ update on page 4 & page 6** Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I got on the horn with Crapital One this afternoon and disputed the charge. A few hours later, I got a text alert on my phone that my watch was in transit and should be here on the 11th. No further communication from them, just pow, magically my order is on the way.

Amazing how that works.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived in the New Orleans distribution center yesterday.

I should have it by tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

They did admit to it being late for delivery earlier in the week.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
My watch arrived yesterday morning.

I had an extra long work day on Friday and didn't get home until about 1:30 am. I'm getting too old and worn out to do the job.

With that tidbit of info aside what I wanted to let everyone know I had a minor incident when sizing the bracelet.

The watch uses a pin and collar system. I don't have much experience with them but I have sized a couple of watches with this type of link.

I removed 3 links when I sized the watch. Every time I removed a link the collar would also come out. they're tiny, maybe 2 millimeters long, being easy to lose. They weren't hard to reinsert in the bracelet except for one of the links. It appeared that when I would drop the collar back into this one particular hole the collar would fall right through it. This didn't happen with the other two collars.

To get the collar back in I just leveled the band horizontal with the floor and pushed it in side ways. When I reattached the link the pin when in nice and tight.

There were no other issues. There were none I could find with the watch.

The watch itself looks great. The blue dial is like a teal color. It's a tall watch on the wrist but is comfortable to wear.

I like the Rolex Yachtmaster look of this watch. This one is just a whole lot easier on the pocketbook.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine will be here tomorrow.

Funny how it's showing up in 2 days after I contested the charges.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today.

I have to say, they have a nice product.

I had no problem sizing the bracelet with my sizing pin tool. Just follow the arrow direction, Keep the bracelet flat and watch the collar that will come out. It MUST go back into the link section it came out of.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Watch! Cool

I think this new Phoibos might be more aesthetically pleasing than their gorgeous Wave Master watch.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dial, indices and hands on the Phoibos Voyager. If I had the ability to configure my own ideal dive watch it would look quite close to the Voyager but I would add a day complication.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I feel like a super villain with it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Finally arrived! I thought someone in Los Angeles had themselves a new watch for a while there...

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t too worried. Shipping is sporadic and a bit unpredictable right now. Last time I bought a Phoibos a good friend of mine (who lives in my state) got one too about an hour before I bought mine. For some odd reason his watch took MUCH longer to be delivered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s been a hectic week but I FINALLY had some time to sit down, resize and evaluate this new Phoibos.

First impression. The dial is stunning! I love the way the light catches this dial and indices. I love the overall aesthetic of the watch quite a bit. Yes, it is a little thick on the wrist but the relatively small case size makes it quite comfy on the wrist.

As mentioned by others the bracelet is held together by a pin and collar instead of screws. This is no big deal and I found the bracelet adjustment to be very easy. Seiko’s pin and collar system is a bit more difficult than this one as it required a bit of force on the last few adjustments.

I would like for Phoibos to have offered more of a micro adjust in the clasp. There is room there for them to have drilled more holes but they only drilled three. Hamilton does this on their watches too and it annoys me. That said the clasp itself is very nice looking, especially with the big Phoibos octopus logo engraving.

The minute track is indeed lumed. I love how they laid out the minute track. There is an Omega Seamaster with a somewhat similar minute track and I think it’s very easy to read and aesthetically pleasing.

Overall I am impressed. The bezel action is good with great alignment and very minimal back play. It isn’t quite as good as the Phoibos Proteus but it is much better than the Phoibos Wave Masters I own.

For the money this is a spectacular watch. I’m glad I pulled the trigger on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Lacking the tools or the experience, I went ahead and took mine into the local jeweler and had the lady there size it. I mentioned that some folks were finding the pin and collar system a bit fiddly, but it meant nothing to me, just figured I'd pass the warning along. It took her ten minutes, and twice in there, she went banging on it with a hammer. I found this alarming. Just when I was starting to think I'd made a really poor decision, she turned around and had me try it on.

One link removed, and no damage, so I decided a slightly loose fit was tolerable and preferable to the stress of sending her back for round two with the hammer, and I went about my business.

I have to say, pictures do not do the dial justice. Not even close. Video isn't even a really accurate representation. I agree with RoboV, it's almost more of a teal color than the royal blue it seems to look like in the pictures.

I couldn't find any QC issues, and the bezel action is very, very nice. If anything, it's actually a fair bit stiffer than what I expected, which is absolutely not a problem.

I could go on, but the bottom line is, I think it's a really well-made watch and I like it. Would recommend. Smile

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This was a great thread and it appears that Phoibos is going to run a sale.

Wondering if anyone has ordered from them since August, if they've got some of their shipping issues sorted out.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, if anyone wanted a green or white mother of Pearl dial WaveMaster they are back up for sale on Phoibo’s website.

Their shipping is sporadic at best but I’ve ordered 6 watches from Phoibos and never had an issue. Sometimes it’s taken a bit longer than I’ve expected but it’s always been worth it.

If you have big wrists and are curious about a bronze watch I HIGHLY recommend the Leviathan. I’ve been enjoying mine quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They had a 15% or 20% off sale going but it's not on anymore. Damn. I wanted to order one. Shouldn't have waited.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a really large wrist. How much adjustment can I expect with these Phoibos watches?

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tim, The leviathan is what I would recommend as it comes on leather straps and favors those with larger wrists. It’s bezel action is superior to Omega in my opinion, THAT is how much they improved their previously questionable bezel action. It’s just superb. But I understand bronze case material is not for everyone (I love it). How big is your wrist? The Proteus and slightly smaller feeling Voyager should be quite at home on larger wrists and allow quite a bit of adjustment in their bracelets as well. If you have larger wrists you really can’t go wrong with Phoibos’s current line up (if you can find the model you want in stock).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
** quick update **

Bad news travels far and fast but I would like to take this opportunity to tell you a VERY positive story about my recent experience with Phoibos’s customer support.

I have been whittling down my massive watch collection quite a bit lately which sadly included letting go of a few Phoibos watches that I had multiples of. When I recently sold two Phoibos Wavemasters to two of our fine fellow Sigforum members I had a heck of a time tracking down my boxes and then an even harder time locating the extra links that the watches originally came with.

Panicking having two potential buyers and missing their parts I shot an email out to Phoibos and asked if I could purchase 4 inches of bracelet since I had lost my extra links. Within 24 hours I had a very friendly response that confirmed my address and then Phoibos’s rep said they would be sending me 3 inches of extra links and a spare end link FREE OF CHARGE. That length is practically like having a brand new half of bracelet because of my tiny wrists!

As fate would have it a day or two after Phoibos mailed me the links I found my boxes and links. But I still have one Wavemaster (that I’ll never sell) so I guess if my wrist ever gets really thick I’ll be covered. Or if I damage any of my removable links on my current bracelet I’ll be able to replace them.

Bravo Phoibos! That is superb customer care! I wish all watch companies were as kind, generous and focused on taking care of their customers.

It’s just another reason why Phoibos is one of my favorite watch brands. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Has anyone actually done diving with any of these watches?

The only watch I have not had a leak after a couple of years of diving is my Rolex.

I tried lots of different brands over the years.

I dive to around 100 ft. No big deal until the watch comes up filled with salt water.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post