SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is it that makes people think animals in a National Park setting are domesticated?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it that makes people think animals in a National Park setting are domesticated? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s most obvious in a setting like that, but park visitors have no monopoly on stupid or ignorant acts that can get them killed or suffer serious health issues.
We see that demonstrated all the time in the content of Internet posts:
“You should know better.”
“Yeah, but it’s what I want to do.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Last time we were in Yellowstone, we came on a herd of moms and their newborns. We stopped, warm, dry, and weren’t getting out of the car.
Then three tour buses arrived and vomited tourists. They started for the herd, looking through their cameras. The herd matriarch looked, then started moving. Finally the mob realized they were in danger.
It was amazing how many people could squeeze a bus door at the same time.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you were to graph the stupidity of these people you would see that the curve is asymptotic to the idiot axis.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Just like people with their dogs. It's their children. I've had many dogs. Loved them all but they are dogs, my pet and thats it. The crap on TV humanizing animals gets alot of blame . Kind of creates a Timothy Treadwell mindset in these people. "I'm ONE with nature".

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
People are stupid. Part of me wants to feel sorry for her but nope, come on your a 70 something-year-old and think getting that close to a bison is a good idea.

I have seen brown bears in the wild and sure I wanted a good picture but guess what. I don't have a great picture because I didn't get close. Seen a mother Elk with very young babies. Again could have tried for an epic picture but nope.

Aw well, stupid people as least provide some entertainment.

I’m not all that much of a photographer, but if I wanted to take an epic picture, I’d get a super epic long lens to make it look like I got a whole lot closer than I have too much sense to get. The wife happened upon the work of Thomas D. Mangelsen who has the “Images of Nature” gallery. In googling him to make sure I spelled his name right, a collage of images popped up. One was his “Bad Boys of the Arctic” image which looks like several polar bears watching a Sunday football game. The only things missing were the beers and the remote. Another image was of him with a hellaciously long lens. Dude didn’t get all those “close” shots and survive by being a moron.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
“Bad Boys of the Arctic”

The Denver airport used to have a gallery of his photos. I chuckled when I first saw that photo, and it still makes me smile to think of it. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
People are stupid. Part of me wants to feel sorry for her but nope, come on your a 70 something-year-old and think getting that close to a bison is a good idea.

I have seen brown bears in the wild and sure I wanted a good picture but guess what. I don't have a great picture because I didn't get close. Seen a mother Elk with very young babies. Again could have tried for an epic picture but nope.

I’m not all that much of a photographer, but if I wanted to take an epic picture, I’d get a super epic long lens to make it look like I got a whole lot closer than I have too much sense to get.

You can't always get long enough lens. I was in AK last year. When preparing for the trip one thing I heard over and over was you can't bring a long enough lens. I brought a Sigma 150-500mm as it's the biggest lens I have. Yep more then once I found it not to be big enough. I still got some epic pictures but more than once I found 500mm to be seriously lacking. Granted a good long Nikon lens would have helped but then we are talking new car prices for a lens.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived on our Family Farm in the 40’s and 50’s we didn’t even trust the cattle we raised, hogs were the worst, their land sharks. Blood from a farmer being injured around would get a reaction that you get away from them.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Most of you guys are from, and talking about out west, but it is just as bad here in the Smokies with the Bears and Elk.
I see it every time I get over there.
The rangers will be on your ass here for sure but they are few and far between. I believe they can ticket you if you approach to within 500 feet OR if you "Effect the behavior of the animal."

This sad event below resulted in the decision to put down this young Elk.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bdA0vw3M5_0

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, the Minnesota Fish and Game folks are going to have to euthanize 100 bears when that old geezer dies. Who else would take over the risk and expense of such an endeavor? Why would we allow it, AGAIN?

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m not all that much of a photographer, but if I wanted to take an epic picture, I’d get a super epic long lens to make it look like I got a whole lot closer than I have too much sense to get.

You can't always get long enough lens. I was in AK last year. When preparing for the trip one thing I heard over and over was you can't bring a long enough lens. I brought a Sigma 150-500mm as it's the biggest lens I have. Yep more then once I found it not to be big enough. I still got some epic pictures but more than once I found 500mm to be seriously lacking. Granted a good long Nikon lens would have helped but then we are talking new car prices for a lens.
And a car to mount it on.

When I went to Africa (Kenya) last fall I did have a camera equipped with the Nikon 200-500VR lens. It laid in the seat next to me until I wanted to use it--there was no way I was going to carry that piece! I plan to do the same when (if) I do my scheduled Alaska trip this August.

That lens on a DX camera (D7100) is the equivalent of a 300-750mm lens.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
That lens on a DX camera (D7100) is the equivalent of a 300-750mm lens.

flashguy

It's just smoke and mirrors illusion because the DX sensor is smaller. It still only gives you a maximum 500 mm focal length. It won't give you any increased "range" on a DX than it will on an FX.

My longest lens is a 300mm FX lens. It's about as long as I can handle and still be able to get out and be mobile. I've toyed with the idea of a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR. 200mm of extra focal length over what I'm carrying now would be great. But carrying is the operative word. Carrying my D7200 with the 200-500 mm is is like carrying a mountain howitzer.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Carrying my D7200 with the 200-500 mm is is like carrying a mountain howitzer.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yet another wizard. This is almost exactly what we saw when there - people wandering out into fields amongst the herd, yards and yards away from car, building or any other cover.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/QGM0kcOCbkw

Play dead indeed. She came very close to not having to act.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
They should make a sign.

When we were thru there a few decades ago, they had lots of signs. The first one at the gate guard shack! Signs only work for people with a mental capability above that of a hamburger. Or maybe a hot dog.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key phrase to your question I:
" What is it that makes people think"

In reality , they are not thinking of any thing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Yet another wizard.

Love the screaming of her friends. "Play dead."

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
What did she say to her kid when she was gored and thrown 15 feet ?

Bi son.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Paisan -- Italian buffalo

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
People today have been quietly indoctrinated to think of animals as friends , family. Watch enough TV and the whole animal world loves us and wants to be our friends. Just ask Timothy Treadwell. Oh wait you can't , a bear ate the delusional fool.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post