SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mexican troops disarmed American soldiers on US side of the border
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican troops disarmed American soldiers on US side of the border Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This sure has been kept quiet.

Armed Mexican troops disarmed two United States soldiers while they were on the American side of the border, U.S. defense officials have said.

U.S. Northern Command said in a statement that "five to six Mexican military personnel questioned two U.S. Army soldiers who were conducting border support operations" this month. The U.S. soldiers were in an unmarked Customs and Border Protection [CBP] vehicle near the southwest border near Clint, Texas.

Officials confirmed that the Mexican troops were armed with what seemed to be rifles. They raised their weapons when they saw the two U.S. soldiers, and then took a pistol from one and put it in the CBP vehicle. According to officials talking to CNN, the two Americans obliged "in an attempt to de-escalate a potential volatile situation."

"Throughout the incident, the U.S. soldiers followed all established procedures and protocols," the statement said. The two U.S. troops were on the south side of the security perimeter but north of the Rio Grande and thus were in the U.S., according side American territory, it added.

Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security officials demanded an explanation from the Mexican government. "An inquiry by CBP and DOD [Department of Defense] revealed that the Mexican military members believed that the US Army soldiers were south of the border," the statement said.

"Though they were south of the border fence, U.S. soldiers remained in U.S. territory, north of the actual border."

https://www.washingtonexaminer...s-side-of-the-border

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops on Mexico's part. Hopefully next time there may be an Apache or Blackhawk helicopter nearby patrolling with the US border patrol. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
There needs to be hell to pay for this sort of BS. What the hell were these Mexican troops doing on the US side of the border in the first place.?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I suspect the Ejercito Mexicano has been boots on U.S. soil since at least 2008. Maybe earlier.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I suspect the Ejercito Mexicano has been boots on U.S. soil since at least 2008. Maybe earlier.

Somebody has to protect the drug mules.

https://www.thenation.com/arti...o-drugs-cartels-war/

On February 17, some 300 people from the Mexican state of Guerrero set up camp outside of Mexico City’s National Palace to pressure the government to address their forced displacement by drug gangs from their homes in the Sierra Madre. Two weeks earlier, president Andrés Manuel López Obrador had announced that Mexico’s war against narcotrafficking was over. “There is no war. We want peace, we’re going to get peace,”

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Who has been keeping this under wraps? I thought we had a little back bone, yet our guys get questioned on why they’re on their own side of the border? Someone needs to be questioned on why? And get real answers instead of “oops, sorry”. I didn’t see any apology. These are US Troops, not law enforcement. Very serious.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It is absolutely unacceptable for our troops to be surrendering their weapons in such a situation, particularly when they are standing in their own country!

I'm not sure who I'm more appalled at, the Mexican soldiers or our own.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I think that given they had only a pistol against several rifles it would have been suicidal not to surrender. On the other hand, I would have thought they had a radio or some form of commo device to call in for support. A copter could have been there very quickly. But then why was our military out patrolling in a dangerous area unarmed?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
...But then why was our military out patrolling in a dangerous area unarmed?

This irks me the most: I'm hearing that our troops are there for "support" and "therefore" unarmed.

They should be armed, and fire back when challenged. The drug cartels frequently use Mexican military uniforms in their own country, it's safe to assume they would do the same in our country.

We're lucky those two US soldiers were not killed or kidnapped, and I, for one, expect that to happen sooner rather than later. Maybe by the cartels, maybe by Mexican forces. Nobody south of the Border is our friend, IMO.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Why only two US. Seem's like something is fishy.
Who would send two soldiers out on their own there. Especially without proper protection and surveillance support at a minimum.
I am not buying it.
Let alone why they (intruders) were there.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that given they had only a pistol against several rifles it would have been suicidal not to surrender. On the other hand, I would have thought they had a radio or some form of commo device to call in for support. A copter could have been there very quickly. But then why was our military out patrolling in a dangerous area unarmed?

Yeah, 2 guys with pistols sitting in their vehicles. A bunch of Mexicans sprang up on them pointing rifles. It's ridiculous to think it's unacceptable for them to surrender their weapons, unless you just want them to commit suicide by Mexicans.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned about Mexican troops armed on US soils - they should have been shot on sight...drone or whatever

enough of this shit

time to go weapons free on the border and the problem will be resolved in less than 30 days

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Anybody ask what the Mexican troops were doing north of the border (and across the river)?

Bueller?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yeah, 2 guys with pistols sitting in their vehicles. A bunch of Mexicans sprang up on them pointing rifles. It's ridiculous to think it's unacceptable for them to surrender their weapons, unless you just want them to commit suicide by Mexicans.

Yeah, forgive me, but I do think it's unacceptable that US soldiers are surrendering to another country on US soil. Yes I do. Regardless of the circumstances, it's pathetic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It is absolutely unacceptable for our troops to be surrendering their weapons in such a situation, particularly when they are standing in their own country!

It's better than being dead and creating a war. It's easy to get confused in places along the border and not know what side of the border is which. Sounds like the Mexican side was doing their job, just not on the right side of the border and the fact that this story exists, tells us that the CBP guys were let go unharmed rather than commit instant death.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let’s see you be in their situation. 2 against 6 and it sounds like the Mexicans had the drop on them. Do you honestly think this was worth them dying over? They were not in a war zone, they were on a patrol along the border and I’m sure their ROE is nowhere near as liberal as it would be down range. They did the right thing by de escalating and coming home. It’s not like they got shot at and dropped their weapons and surrendered.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yeah, forgive me, but I do think it's unacceptable that US soldiers are surrendering to another country on US soil. Yes I do. Regardless of the circumstances, it's pathetic.

Gotta love armchair commandos.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
From what I read, the incident occurred south of the border fence but north of the Rio Grande. Although that is clearly US territory, it is possible that the Mexicans might have been confused. Let's let the 2 countries thrash this one out, shall we?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are a lot of things that aren't acceptable about this encounter. I don't expect those two boys to committee suicide though taking on 5 guys with rifles with only a pistol. They aren't John Wick Wink

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Speaking about soldiers crossing the border.
Back in the 1970s two MPs on Ft. Bliss saw a pickup truck driving without lights. When they tried to stop it, the truck ran. Soon a second MP unit joined them.
The chase went off post, on to I-10 and to the border. While the two units were reporting their location, no civilian law enforcement could find them.
At the border, the truck blew on through. The two units followed. (Nobody had said they couldn’t.) They were stopped at a roadblock. The people in the truck ran and we’re caught. The four MPs were stopped and disarmed. The truck’s cargo was a hundred pounds of pot.
The next day the soldiers, the cars, and the pistols were returned. The Federals kept the rounds.
I don’t recall any of this made the news.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post