SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Inventory Database
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Inventory Database Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
We are trying to re-catalogue my father-in-law's inventory of over 400 guns into a more user friendly database. Many WWI, but mostly WW2 weapons (30+ M1 Carbines with different mfg or configs), etc.

Anyway, we have it all in an exhaustive spreadsheet, but I'd like to upload fields (or data entry) into a more robust database with a GUI of some sort that would allow him to search, sort, etc.

Anyone know of a program, or short of that, maybe even a programmer who could assist?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I suck at it, but outside of using a table in MS Excel, MS Access might be worth looking at.
I enter data into a couple different Access databases at work periodically, and that’s what it does best.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
MS Access

You would have to set it up with some work in the beginning but then you have a customized page that looks anyway you want.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There used to be a well-known and highly regarded firearm database program, but the creator dropped off the face of the map a couple years ago and stop supporting/updating it, scamming folks out of their registration funds. Lots of pissed off folks out there as a result. (Looks like the website is still up, and may still even accept orders, but you won't get anything out of it.)

I use an Excel spreadsheet. You can both search and sort in Excel (and likely in the spreadsheet you're already using too). It's not as flashy as a custom database, but it does everything I need it to do.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
MS Access

You would have to set it up with some work in the beginning but then you have a customized page that looks anyway you want.
^^^This. I personally love Access because it gives me the flexibility to store, search, and reflect data any way I choose. The newest version of Access is pretty user friendly (as DB's go), so you could likely get everything you want out of it with a little time commitment on your part.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
An alternative to MS Access, is FileMaker.

Access is Windows only, FileMaker is Windows and / or Mac.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that dedicated databases offer more options, but something that few people seem to realize is that Microsoft Word tables can be used for basic purposes. I have several data tables that contain about 350 to over 2000 entries. It’s possible to automatically sort the entries and search for specific terms with simple commands. I originally started using Access many years ago, but found that after converting the Access data to Word tables it was easier for me work with the latter.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I use myArmscache. It's an App found in the App store and you can take pics and upload all kinds of gun data, accessories, etc.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd just Excel, but if you aren't already a little educated, even an existing Excel spreadsheet would be a little intimidating.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Go with Excel/Access. You don’t even want to go toward a programmer and a custom built anything, unless you just don’t care about expense and want a customized turnkey operation. It’s just not cost effective. You can or you might find someone who could, whip together a VBA front end for either MS application. That might be reasonably priced, but honestly the best alternative is Excel.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would use MS Excel and for searching and sorting, simply use the sort/filter and find/select features already built in

no programming required

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I went and made my own database using LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php).
I built a little no frills web gui just to display stuff

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
We are trying to re-catalogue my father-in-law's inventory of over 400 guns into a more user friendly database. Many WWI, but mostly WW2 weapons (30+ M1 Carbines with different mfg or configs), etc.

Anyway, we have it all in an exhaustive spreadsheet, but I'd like to upload fields (or data entry) into a more robust database with a GUI of some sort that would allow him to search, sort, etc.

Anyone know of a program, or short of that, maybe even a programmer who could assist?

i use an app called "my arms cache" its pretty good but managing 400 might not be what you need. The CMP also offers free software and worth looking at

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=74771

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There used to be a well-known and highly regarded firearm database program, but the creator dropped off the face of the map a couple years ago and stop supporting/updating it, scamming folks out of their registration funds. Lots of pissed off folks out there as a result. (Looks like the website is still up, and may still even accept orders, but you won't get anything out of it.)

I use an Excel spreadsheet. You can both search and sort in Excel (and likely in the spreadsheet you're already using too). It's not as flashy as a custom database, but it does everything I need it to do.

That would be MygunDB? Guy is a total crook and he continues to take people's money.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep.

Looks like I got something right today.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck using NM Collector.
The newer version is Java based, but the older Windows version is now available free. https://www.nmcollector.net/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to use a free program called GunSafe, but have since switched to Excel.

Thanks to this thread, it reminded me to update my list with recent acquisitions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent weeks taking pics, logging serial numbers, accessories and inputting them into MygunDB. Then it crashed and shitstick is no where to be found.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In the distant past I used a product called GunTracker, but it went belly-up in 2016. It's a shame, because it was pretty easy to use and included the Blue Book data as part of it.

I did a search and found this free product: https://www.nmcollectorsoftware.org/. Installation was pretty simple (must follow instructions, though, because OS after Vista won't work if installed in the Programs folder). Product only for Windows and not specified for after W7 (it does run on my W7Pro machine). The product looks to be a good way to list data about firearms. I have not tried to use it yet, but it does have a sample entry that can be viewed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post