SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When does a phone need replacing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When does a phone need replacing? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
What's the point of getting hung up on a new phone not having a microsd slot, if you aren't even really using the one you have now?

I have been using it to store pictures and videos. I didn't really understand how to move apps to the SD card until I got to reading today. I'm going to get a bigger SD card and move everything I can to it.

Is there a benefit of "jailbreaking" or whatever it's called, a phone? Would that allow me to delete all this dumb Verizon stuff off of it?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If your S5 is still running fine then I'd keep truckin on; however, if you're having issues with it and can't get the new Android updates, you're unfortunately going to have to look at a new phone. I believe the Moto G5 and LG V20 both support removable batteries & microSD.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
How about those programs like Dr. Phone that can perform a thorough cleanup of files that might no longer be useful or required?
I've run it on an iphone but there's also the Android version.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Use CCLeaner for android (from the ap store)
2. Add an SD if you haven't already. Max size for your phone.
3. In the settings, go through each ap and set its storage to the SD card whenever possible.
4. Delete or transfer all non-essential data, especially videos and pictures.

That being said, eventually phone just get too old, slow, and have too little storage space for modern requirements. I recently could no longer install new aps due to limited space, so I got a new phone. The LG-G6 seems like a great deal, but there are a lot of good newer phones.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My S5 Active is still going strong and I don't have any plans to get a new one until it dies.

32gb SD card.

I have 9gb internal and 17gb on the SD card but I have never made any attempt to clean it up so I'm sure I could open some internal space up if I needed to.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post