SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When does a phone need replacing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When does a phone need replacing? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
My phone has 16GB of internal storage. I'm still at 13.5 of the 16 after doing some cleaning. I don't have any un-used apps that I can delete. All photos/videos are on a micro SD card. I don't have any music.

It's a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S5.

My two hang-ups on keeping it are that I can easily replace the battery (I keep a spare charged up for times I can't re-charge the phone, some days I am on it a substantial amount) and it has removable micro SD storage.

That, and new phones are stupidly expensive.

But I think that 16GB thing is going to get me pretty soon.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11445 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar situation, with a 12gb phone. I deleted everything; photos, texts, emails. It wasn’t enough, and I think it’s all part of the planned obsolescence scheme that electronics manufacturers practice. They make the basic software so big, you’re forced to upgrade just so you can maintain what you used to have. I’m betting I’ll get less than 2 years out of my new 256gb phone, for the same reason.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Still using my Stromberg Carlson 316 dial phone, got it used in the 60's. Never had a problem, except for phone trees.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it still works, why replace it?

If it's a matter of not enough storage, that's something different.

Can you increase the Gb on the micro SD card? If not, I think you're in line for a new phone with more storage.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What’s the max card it can read? 32gb, 64gb?

If it still does what you need, keep it. My old OnePlus One from 2014 is still running fast. It is a 64gb model and I move videos and photos off when it gets full.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it quits working, still using my flip phone.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
For me it's every year.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Have you wiped the cache partition?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I replace mine every 18 months or so, I have replaced at the 12 month mark but I don't get expensive phones. At least not phones that are considered expensive these days. I get phones ranging from $75-200.

My iPhone was $200 (SE model). Phone I kept longest was an LG G3, paid $150 for it and used it for 18 months. Figured at that rate it was less than $10/month.

Around the 12-18 month mark is when they typically start acting up on me. Start glitching or running slow. Weird thing is that I've only lost 1 phone to damage in 14 years of having a cell phone.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Why not.buy a micro SD and whatever is eating up your space on your phone, back it up elsewhere.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Phone Cops come looking for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzTG1Lx60

but as to your question - I'm pretty much reaching that point after 4 years with my Motorola Android.

Phones are reaching the point of absurdity with pricing IMO.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Galaxy S5 is one of my favorite phones for the reasons you stated. It was the last of the Galaxy phones that you could open up, and it has a micro-USB-C port.

If you're running out of internal storage, you can move apps to your micro-SD and run them off that.

If you require a smart phone/cell device, then its useful lifespan is determined the same as computers. That is what they are, pocket-sized computers.

Is your phone's CPU and RAM sufficient to run the apps and software you want at the speed you want?

Does Android continue to support the version of OS you're using?

Are you able to upgrade to a newer OS?

Are the apps you use able compatible w/ your version of Android?

Phones have a planned obsolescence. I believe they are most often forced replacement due to:

1. general wear & tear and breakage
2. internal battery wears out and no longer holds a reasonable charge
3. OS no longer supported
4. hardware too slow

Like Edmond, I budget about $100/yr or $10/month for a phone. I will never pay $600 or more for a phone, b/c there's no way I'd get six years out of it. I'm not a power user, so I don't need top of the line.

Good thing now is you can get a brand new phone that is comparable to an S5 or S6 for under $200 brand new. For example, Moto G5 Plus is a hot phone right now and goes for ~$180 at Costco and Amazon. It's also unlocked and compatible w/ all carriers.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke......

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
When does a phone need replacing?

My IPhone5 worked great till I took it swimming in the pool with me. Frown

That's when it needed replacing. Big Grin

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A smart device, imo, needs replacement at a bare minimum when the manufacturer ceases supporting the device with at least security updates. The more you do on your smart device, the more urgent that is.

This also applies to computer operating systems (Windoze XP, old builds of Linux, old versions of Mac OS, etc). If the manufacturer is done supporting an OS, it's time to either upgrade to the latest version, or dispose of the device in favor of one that is likely to continue enjoying manufacturer support for at least a while.

Samsung has been pretty good about keeping their older devices up to date against security threats, even when not rolling out the latest and greatest OS to said devices.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had a Galaxy S4 till last week. The flash stopped working and the OS was no longer being updated so I picked up an LG G6 flagship phone for a good price. Hopefully it will last a number of years. I hope it will be a pay once, cry once phone. Wishful thinking I know.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Get a bigger or additional SD card and carry on.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What's the point of getting hung up on a new phone not having a microsd slot, if you aren't even really using the one you have now?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read, you can put up to a 128gb micro sd card in an S5. Which is good to know, as I love my S5... as far as phone love can go...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
We generally upgrade every two years. In fact we just upgraded last week when Verizon was offering 50% off new Android phones with a qualifying trade in. We had an iPhone 6s that I probably could have sold for $200.00- $250.00, but they gave $475.00 in trade.

They also had a deal going where the Google Pixel 2 XL phones were buy one get one 50% off, so it basically ended up being buy one get one free with the trade in.

I had been wanting to try an Android phone again after having iPhones for the past several years, so it worked out well. My wife and I got the new phones (128gb Google Pixel 2 XL's) and my daughter got a hand-me-down 64gb iPhone 6s+.

I did have to add a new line at a one time cost of $35.00 to qualify for both parts of the promotion, but then it was a simple matter of cancelling one of our pre-existing lines once the new phones were activated. There was also a one time "upgrade" fee of $30.00 on one of the phones. I get a telephone stipend of $70.00 per month from work, so it helps soften the blow when it comes time to upgrade.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post