SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Numbers after the decimal in parentheses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Numbers after the decimal in parentheses Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
When there's a number written like this 1.6021766208(98)×10−19 what does the part in parentheses mean? Is it repeating (usually denoted by a line over top) or are they insignificant? Or something else completely?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Associated (standard) uncertainty or margin of error.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the technical term is

Fudge Factor

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Fuck I shouldn't have clicked into this thread. It just confused my life even more. LOL.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nifty. So how do I read it?
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:

Fudge Factor
I like fudge.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
it's a SWAG. Scientific Wild-Ass Guess

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Fuck I shouldn't have clicked into this thread. It just confused my life even more. LOL.
Do you even know what happens if one Boson drops below 126 GeV? Do you?!?

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Nifty. So how do I read it?
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:

Fudge Factor
I like fudge.

You know he said "factor" and not "packer", right? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post