SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Someone help me out here: what's not clear about "Don't post any of this riot stuff here"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone help me out here: what's not clear about "Don't post any of this riot stuff here"? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Great. I have permission to retire.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
wow..smh

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ever try to hold a basketball underwater with one hand? That's what this is like. It can be done, but there's only one way to do it.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If the power to the forum gets cut off, to all the "Private Pyles" out there that could not control themselves, remember this during the 404 error: "THEY'RE PAYING FOR IT, YOU EAT IT!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No matter what happens, there will always be idiots who are either clueless to standards or just want to 'poke the bear'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
...ass munch...
Correct as two words
quote:
...mother fucker...
That should be all one word

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Good grief, I can't even believe what's going on around here. It's really easy, the boss says no that's the end of the story. We're guests in his house, that warrants at least a modicum of respect. Give the guy a break for crying out loud.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now you guys can see what happens when people think that a story is "too big" to ignore.

The irresistible force meets the immovable object

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't get it either how a simple directive can be ignored.

The people who say they need to talk about it here just need to get a hobby.

Over my years here, Para has shown he's got great instinct about these things. At first, fuck if I know why he wants to ban the topic. But when you think about it, it gets talked about everywhere else. So big deal that you can't voice your opinion in those places. It is a relief that this forum has been designated to be free of that shit.

Para, you asked whether you need to be less mannerly so I take that as asking us what you can do to get your rule heeded.

How about modifying the forum banner at the top of every forum page to add next to the gun imaage: *** Do NOT post anything even remotely related to protests or riots ***

Just my 2 cents.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Because if I did that, it would be on the page, and I'm not doing that.

What I said about being less mannerly was merely self-deprecating humor.

posted Hide Post
Some don’t stop to think. They get caught up in the moment.

Sometimes I think it is best just to post what you think, don’t supply links.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
There’s four pages of us in here that want this shit to end.

We need to keep an eye on new threads and ones like Pipe Smoker’s from this morning need to be handled by us, prior to Para having to deal with it. If the ass munch, motherfuckers can’t keep from posting disallowed topics, we need to remind them to delete their posts.

Para, I now will have to watch The Dirty Dozen. Looks like a pretty good movie.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
...ass munch...
Correct as two words
quote:
...mother fucker...
That should be all one word

^ This made my night..
Thank you..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rey HRH said:
How about modifying the forum banner at the top of every forum page to add next to the gun imaage: *** Do NOT post anything even remotely related to protests or riots ***

The same people who ignore his requests now, would continue to act/believe as if the rules did not apply to them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
You know, I don't visit quite as much as I used to precisely for similar reasons that have been brought to light here... I don't need or want the drama of all that is going on in my life. I have enough that I can't avoid at work that I actively avoid venues where I will come into contact with it.

I realize that I'm just tired of it... we all get that way in our life regarding certain things... I've found that in those situations a vacation is useful to unwind, reset perspective, and prepare to re-enter the world where some things are unavoidable.

As a mere patron, I can take a vacation from here as I am from the cess pool that has over-taken my Facebook feed. Sorry, as far as Facebook goes, I'm out fishing. I'll return when vacation is over.

In some ways it is the same here, to a lesser extent. Lesser because I know the wishes of The Management is for this place to remain shielded from that topic. So I check in a bit but am I shielded still because I can leave and not come back for a week with nary a thought.

Para, as the owner, I get that you can't leave and allow this bus to keep cruising down the road. Honestly, I don't know that a "vacation" for you is bad idea... I think it makes sense. A splash page explaining why might help drive the point home to those that are having trouble comprehending while also allowing you to just breath for a few days and not have it nagging on you.

**shrug**

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
The same people who ignore his requests now, would continue to act/believe as if the rules did not apply to them.
Maybe not. Sometimes you've got to literally trip over something you're looking for, something in plain sight. My cat stopped burying her poo. She gets the stink out in the open so I scoop it out immediately. Maybe some people have to slip in the shit to get the point.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Or they are simply oblivious. If someone doesn’t bother to even read, much less heed, what the owner posts here, why would we expect them to pay attention to anything else? We see countless examples of people failing to read karma conditions or posts in close proximity to theirs. It’s ironic to me that there is so much talk about “situational awareness” on a forum like this and yet some people evidently don’t notice the things that are directly in front of their eyes on their computer screens. I certainly wouldn’t want to be walking into a dangerous situation with one of them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve abandoned several online haunts because people couldn’t leave current events out of it. I’m on a VA craft beer page because I like keeping up with the in-state beer scene, not because I want to see 50 stories a day about the riots. I’m on a D&D Forgotten Realms page because it’s an escape from reality, not because I want to be bombarded by virus bullshit. If I want that crap every single news outlet has plenty, it ain’t hard to find.

Short version: REVEREND! Thank you Para for cracking knuckles with that ruler. Swing harder a few times! Wink

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd sincerely appreciate it if you guys would get off this "vacation" and "retirement" stuff. It's silly. Does a man abandon his own house because some of his guests misbehave? He might lock the door to bar entrance, but do you honestly think that leaving would be a right course of action?

Let's just put that stuff away, please. It's not a solution. Members honoring my clearly stated wishes- that is the solution.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
we just can't post about it here.

Then Why Did You Just Post it Here?

No one cares about your explanation, your tap dancing, your nuances- Only That You Do What Is Asked.

It's like you want to get one last lick in- Stop It.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post