SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Someone help me out here: what's not clear about "Don't post any of this riot stuff here"?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone help me out here: what's not clear about "Don't post any of this riot stuff here"? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Can someone explain this to me?

I turned this (unintentionally, but it'll do) into a thread about candy. That thread has 12,000 views, meaning that most regulars have likely opened it. But, even if they haven't opened it, I have made comments in other threads about my desire for members to refrain from posting this stuff.

And yet, despite this, there are multiple threads created on the subject and related subjects, on a daily basis. I've always felt that, if anything, I've been too tough on you guys about stuff like this. Seems like some of you are just not listening.

So, please tell me- what's the problem? Why can I not get through the thick skulls of some of you guys? Am I a pushover? Do I need to be less mannerly? If that's even possible. What is it?

Look at this: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0053174?r=1120073174

I left that open to give you guys a valve. I tried to be cool about it, but I'm gettin' stepped on like a rug.

My dad used to say to me, "Son, you're like a goose- everyday, you wake up in a new world."

How many geese we got here, ya think?

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para - I’m not attempting to challenge your authority. It’s just really, really hard to find an actual news source any more. Your Forum with its expansive membership is the closest I can find. You’ve got membership across the United States and across the world.

I other come to the Lounge section whenever I find out about breaking news to get the straight story because I just don’t trust anywhere else.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few will continue to spoil it for the many,
Until those in the position to make a difference

Squelch the behavior.
The people that are not paying attention
Or that are dismissive of your edict

Will not realize what they have ,until it's gone.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54631 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

I other come to the Lounge section whenever I find out about breaking news to get the straight story because I just don’t trust anywhere else.

I agree.

I realize without moderation every thread will be the latest play-by-play of the same old societal train-wreck we see happening everywhere.

But also - to act as if it isn't on everyone's mind -- I wonder if that is diminishing what we are experiencing. The last few weeks is a big deal.

Maybe we need to steer everyone to a sub-forum for 'current affairs' or something similar.

I respect the world-view of this membership. My IQ is higher for being here over the years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Para - I’m not attempting to challenge your authority. It’s just really, really hard to find an actual news source any more. Your Forum with its expansive membership is the closest I can find. You’ve got membership across the United States and across the world.

I'm flattered, but, as I said, we're sitting this one out. I' just not havin' it. It's my desire to avoid 100% of the news about this ridiculous situation. You guys need to respect that. And I know for a fact that more than a few members here agree with this philosophy, in this particualtr instance. I'm sick of it, don't hear it, can't do anything about it but ignore it, and that's what I want us to do here- ignore it.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
But also - to act as if it isn't on everyone's mind -- I wonder if that is diminishing what we are experiencing. The last few weeks is a big deal.
I'm not "acting" in any way about any thing. I have taken the time- more than once to explain my position on this. Do you feel that members should follow my guidelines selectively? Follow my rules and desires only when they agree with me?

And I'm responsible for "diminishing" what? That's my fault somehow? You've got a vivid imagination.
quote:
Maybe we need to steer everyone to a sub-forum for 'current affairs' or something similar.
You just do not get this. I DO NOT WANT THIS SHIT IN MY FORUM!!!!!!~! I'm not creating a subforum for content I do not want on my board. Damn. Roll Eyes

Figure it out. Now, this is gonna piss me off PDQ. How can I make my wishes any clearer? Shall I repeat myself? Does that help?

posted Hide Post
You put way too much time, money and effort in to this place,

Granted people are very frustrated, but the www is a big place,
Go type someplace
That has no rules regulation or boundry's.

There comes a time when examples need to employed.

I'am the last one to tell you
How to run a forum, but you asked

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54631 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Look at this: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0053174?r=1120073174

I left that open to give you guys a valve. I tried to be cool about it, but I'm gettin' stepped on like a rug.

Mike,

Given this forum's support for the LEO community I honestly don't see this thread you cite as one that is out of line. LEO members are discussing the current working environment and the increasing "bailing" by personnel as a result. Understand that the civil unrest is a significant factor but tossing the thread under the blanket of "riot stuff" may be somewhat unfair.

Sorry if I'm being a contrarian but you asked.

That said, absolutely too many are letting their emotions override restraint in starting truly riot related threads. And therein I think is the crux of the matter... emotionalism.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I left it open, didn't I? Should I close it, then re-open it so that it's double active?

Do you know how many threads and posts I catch each day, simply by having "Floyd" as a trigger word?

You guys need to have mercy on me or I'll nuke every Goddamned thread on the subject and then there really will be ZERO stuff about this here, and I do mean zero.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I need to be less mannerly?

That gave me a chuckle.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I left it open, didn't I? Should I close it, then re-open it so that it's double active?

Yes you did but you also said you felt you were getting stepped on by doing so. Hence my comment.

I understand your frustration and don't mean to add fuel to the fire with my remarks.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's not what I said.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not what I said.

Now I'm confused... getting stepped on like a rug I took out of context?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the situation as a whole- my asking you guys to keep this shit out of the forum yet it keeps getting posted.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was referring to the situation as a whole- my asking you guys to keep this shit out of the forum yet it keeps getting posted.

Ah gotcha. My apologies. I took it as reflective of what happened in that thread as a result of you leaving it open as a valve.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
“ Will not realize what they have ,until it's gone.” bendable

That’s a horrible thought! The loss of this forum would be crushing. This forum IS the information highway, there’s nothing like it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Para,

People want to talk to their ‘friends’ here about what is happening in the world. Most of us are not going to start a thread you’ve asked us not to begin, but some will...and when they do, others dip their toe in the water to see if it is okay that they participate too. Suddenly we are 3 pages deep into a thread that never should have never happened in the first place.

Sure, you might lock or delete the thread, but at the end of the day the OP simply says “oh well, maybe next time.”

Like any community, there have to be consequences to actions. The same members who fall back on the tired, “your house your rules” phrase, are the same ones who choose to test your authority.

We’ve got it good here. No ads, no b.s. “but what about” liberal speak, and no membership fees. Some of the best people in the world frequent this place, and for most of them you don’t even nee to do any real mod or admin work, just let us be who we are.

For the rabble-rousers who cause you to write posts like this one? Ban em’. Maybe not forever, but for long enough to send a message.

They make is bad for the rest of us who make a sincere effort to follow the rules you’ve laid out to be part of this group.

Thanks very much for providing what you do.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
ME.

***explanation ***
There are entirely too many people who have over the years with the introduction of so many various platforms of expression have taken up the "me/my/I" position instead of the less popular "we/us" position that there are no longer societal mores that allow them to listen to anything other than themselves. "You" no longer matter to them. Your rules, desires, and beliefs can't compare with their likes, followers, and retweets. They obviously are doing things tight while you waste efforts trying to get them to listen.

I probably didn't explain myself well and if desired, can attempt again. I think though that based on your experiences you can probably piece together what I am getting at. There is more to it, but those things are simply rabbit holes leading to the same den.

I doubt you will get the desired results until you start passing out discipline like tic tacs at a chronic halitosis convention. Locked, nuked, moderated status, and banned are all tools at your disposal. Being nice hasn't gotten the desired results. Sadly this is more work for you which shouldn't be necessary.

If it was easy, anyone could do it. You prove year in and year out that you can and do. I appreciate your (and the others who get it) patience and efforts when it comes to how this place operates.

Thank you.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Last week I awarded myself a Medal of Restraint for recent Non-Combat.

The celebration was glorious. I would have sent out Invitations, but with the 'Rona and all...

Then today I added one Star to it for Meritoriously Not-Replying to the open thread.

It's been brutal. I wanted to Bye, Felicia that thread so badly. I almost did, twice.

Instead I sit here a hero. (ha)

(crowd goes wild)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Para, I mean this with the utmost respect.
You run a tight ship. You do an amazing job, especially since I know you’re doing it solo.

You’re light with the banhammer. This isn’t a bad thing. I have posted here more than once under the influence and you have bitch slapped me publicly, but I still had the ability to post. You didn’t ban me. Even after I was such a drunk fuckhead as to think saying “your hypocrisy knows no bounds” and I was plastered enough to think it was a compliment. You still didn’t ban me. You gave me the opportunity to explain my incredible lack of a brain.
Point being, a little bit of a weeks time out for people that can’t follow the rules may not be a bad thing.

Monday evening, I was on a Truck forum, and was being grilled about my forum name. Same as here. I posted an image from the Urban Dictionary that depicts my name in an unfavorable light. It was some guy 14 years ago that made the entry, as we were having a forum spat.

Long story short, I was banned from TW for a week because of the image. It was words. Not my posting , but the image contained #homo or #fag and that was what was ban worthy of a week. If that’s what gets a guy banned for a week, you have the patience of a chopping block a hundredfold.

Here’s the image in case you are curious.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post