SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
OP: Thanks for coupon code; just ordered the pro

Posts: 8 | Location: KATW | Registered: August 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Internet speed is the real driver, you need a really good wifi signal at the doorbell to get timely notifications. I notice a typical lag of about 15-20 seconds. Sometimes more. Signals are going to some server somewhere, and then back to you.

I'd anyone else having this much of a delay? This is a deal breaker. I need the notification and video within a second or two. Not after the person is already gone 15 seconds later.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:

Internet speed is the real driver, you need a really good wifi signal at the doorbell to get timely notifications. I notice a typical lag of about 15-20 seconds. Sometimes more. Signals are going to some server somewhere, and then back to you.

I'd anyone else having this much of a delay? This is a deal breaker. I need the notification and video within a second or two. Not after the person is already gone 15 seconds later.

I get about 50,000 down and and a few seconds delay before the video starts. The notification is immediate. The recording capability makes it worth while.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can tell you about mine. It's mounted on a solid concrete block wall outside next to my all metal hurricane proof front door on just battery power. About 35' from the router, wearing Bose bluetooth headphones, when I open the door and activate the motion sensor, I get an almost immediate (within 1 sec) Ring alert on my iPhone in the bedroom, where my iPhone would normally be in my case to get any alert notifications. My music is interrupted on my bluetooth headphones for hearing the alert thru them as It is a pretty good way of testing the reaction of the motion sensing if you have bluetooth headphones. This was at 9:32am. I then tested my Wi-fi strength via the device health button in the Ring app menu and it was showing Download speed of 17.34 Mbps and Upload speed of 4.46 Mbps and a Ping of 49ms. I don't think I have real blazing internet wi-fi speed in my area, just average with ATT. So, in a nutshell, mine is working pretty good.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:
quote:

I get about 50,000 down and and a few seconds delay before the video starts. The notification is immediate. The recording capability makes it worth while.
nope. Mine is pretty quick. my biggest delay is getting through my apple security to access the ring notification.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the Pro. The set up of our house does not allow us see who is at the door without them also seeing us.

Hope this works as planned.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Keep in mind we have the world's WORST telecom company for service here. I use the term "service" quite loosely in reference to Alaska Communications Service (ACS). We have no other real options, satellite isn't fantastic this far north...costs about the same.

By the way for those worried about battery life, ours made it through generally 2 months at a time between recharges. I get an average of 10-12 notifications a day (flag waves, or a kid walking by, or a moose in front yard). Even in the coldest of winter this year where the unit was exposed to -31F (our coldest point this past winter), it operated fine and maintained it's battery life. I've charged it 3 times (including the first, prior to installation) since install in September. It's low now, been low for a week. I plan to install a few more around the place soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I've had mine now just about a year and if there was just one feature I wish that we could have is to have an "off" or "disable" feature in the Ring app menu. I live in a very safe neighborhood and mostly purchased the Ring doorbell because of my health and disability. When in my room, it's just not convenient sometimes to go to the door when somebody knocks on a given day. It is just more convenient to be able to see and talk to them if I'm not up to getting to the door. I have several friends and/or neighbors that stop in to check in on me at times and it's great for that, in addition to delivery services and such. There are just times that my wife and her friends will go in and out multiple times like on a weekend when they're out in the front trimming the palms and planting stuff. I know that it would extend battery life to turn it off during friendly high traffic days. Other than that, I'm home almost 95% of the time anyway, and at times just don't need it online. I've often spoke with Ring customer service personal and they seem to be quite receptive to suggestions and/or concerns..maybe they're even listening here in this thread! Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine. Thanks!

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me how much data these things use? Obviously depends on how much they're triggered, but there must be some way to guesstimate for folks on not-unlimited data plans (like my MIL, who relies on Verizon's cellular-based home internet service).

I saw a Reddit discussion on the topic pop up in my google searches, but Reddit is blocked by our corporate firewall. Frown

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Got mine today.
A little afraid to open it. Just walking it into the house sounds like there a million pieces rattling around in there Eek

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Got mine today.
A little afraid to open it. Just walking it into the house sounds like there a million pieces rattling around in there Eek

I guess that would be my one gripe. Can't change the notification tone.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Does it have to mount on the same plane as the front door?
My doorbell is on a wall 90 degrees to the front door. That is, if someone came to my front door the camera will be looking at their profile, not at the front of their face.
Does it work well in this manner?

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Got mine today.

I guess that would be my one gripe. Can't change the notification tone.

Not referring to the warning tone. I am talking about the unopened box sounds like there were a million lego pieces in it.
It was just all the interchangeable cover plates banging together. The

quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
Does it have to mount on the same plane as the front door?
My doorbell is on a wall 90 degrees to the front door. That is, if someone came to my front door the camera will be looking at their profile, not at the front of their face.
Does it work well in this manner?

Pretty sure you can buy angled mounting plates to remedy this.

I am going to have to make a mounting block to bring it out and flush with the brick as the doorframe is inset from the brick. That way I don't lose the view of the person approaching as our walk to the house comes from the driveway to the right.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mines early this week and could not get it to connect to my network. Called customer support and they were unable to figure it out as well. They are going to ship me a new one with a prepaid label to return the one that didn't work. I hope this new ones works. I will say though that customer service was great, she even spoke perfect english.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I got a hardwired "pro" model yesterday (thanks to OP) and installed today. The instructions for install are well written for the layperson. I flipped the wrong breaker for the install and accidentally fried the 30 year old chime on the main floor though. That was me being stupid and trusting the labeling from 1990 on the breaker box and not testing, not the fault of the instructions.

My house is all brick and the wifi signal at the door bell location is "ok", which translates to a 54mbs link and 10mbs of actual throughput. The motion and ring alerts come through almost immediately, connecting to live video or "answering" an event takes 3-5 seconds. Same with connecting to watch the recordings.

The quality is very good in the day (the camera faces the sun in the afternoon), and the night vision is excellent. For the motion sensors I love you can adjust the sensitivity and set specific zones. I was able to zone around the street we live off of and adjust the sensitivity so that it will pick up people walking up to the door and near the front of the house, but won't pick up cars going by or car head lights (just learned that one) at night. I used the angled mounting bracket, its plastic and does the job, nothing to rave about though.

I am really pleased with this thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just ordered the Pro model. Thanks OP.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
Got mines early this week and could not get it to connect to my network. Called customer support and they were unable to figure it out as well. They are going to ship me a new one with a prepaid label to return the one that didn't work. I hope this new ones works. I will say though that customer service was great, she even spoke perfect english.

I sent this link to my guy at Ring. He said to send you his direct line if you have any further issues.

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks

What is the stick up Camera video definition?

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Thanks

What is the stick up Camera video definition?

720. I just bought one. I'll try to post some video.