SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've twice caught people doing things they shouldn't be doing on my ring camera. It's saved me from a burglary already once.

I plan to expand the cameras as $$ allows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much better the Pro model is?
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare this to any of the other units like Skybell?

I'm definitely buying one of them.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare this to any of the other units like Skybell?

Bruce

It's $250 compared to $200. I think the main difference is 1080 instead of 720 HD. The pro must be hardwired.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

go to the web page and it gives you the differences on the comparison page.

https://ring.com/videodoorbells

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Bruce

go to the web page and it gives you the differences on the comparison page.

https://ring.com/videodoorbells

Yup, I saw the different specs.
I was curious if anyone besides the company could tell me if it was worth the extra $50 for the "Pro" model or if it was just "New! Improved! Don't get caught with old technology!" hype Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

Bruce

It's $250 compared to $200. I think the main difference is 1080 instead of 720 HD. The pro must be hardwired.
As stated, pro must be hardwired. I had to downgrade after discovering that a genius contractor who renovated our home prior to move-in, cut the wires to the doorbell somewhere.

Image quality for video is still impressive. More than enough to identify people and read plates on cars.

Internet speed is the real driver, you need a really good wifi signal at the doorbell to get timely notifications. I notice a typical lag of about 15-20 seconds. Sometimes more. Signals are going to some server somewhere, and then back to you.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

Bruce

As stated, pro must be hardwired. I had to downgrade after discovering that a genius contractor who renovated our home prior to move-in, cut the wires to the doorbell somewhere.

Image quality for video is still impressive. More than enough to identify people and read plates on cars.

Internet speed is the real driver, you need a really good wifi signal at the doorbell to get timely notifications. I notice a typical lag of about 15-20 seconds. Sometimes more. Signals are going to some server somewhere, and then back to you.

Mine actually works best when my phone isn't on my home wifi. That way the download of the video isn't on the same connection as the upload (which is on my wifi).

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Anybody have video they can post?? Trying to get an idea of clarity.
Looking to grab the pro and add 3 maybe 4 cameras. At $10!a month for unlimited cameras and lifetime warranty on all the cameras even from theft is a steal.

Just trying to see how well the cameras do.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Looking to grab the pro and add 3 maybe 4 cameras. At $10!a month for unlimited cameras and lifetime warranty on all the cameras even from theft is a steal.

Here's one the week after we installed it. Caught someone breaking into our front door, and were able to scramble LEO's from Oregon.

https://ring.com/share/1006305876

I have no idea how to embed that here.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
If you look at online reviews, the pro version is supposed to handle differences in lighting better. My non pro has issues when it's really bright out as it's under a covered porch. Everything beyond the porch is washed out.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Here's one the week after we installed it. Caught someone breaking into our front door, and were able to scramble LEO's from Oregon.

Wow.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer regular security cameras like what I have and they will send me an email with a picture of what set off the motion detection area I set up.

However, I do like the fact the camera is positioned at eye level to get a good face shot. I just like my cameras to record to my DVR, which I can view the video remotely.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Once the motion detector set off the camera, you will receive a remote alert to your phone where ever you may be, around the world too. If you activate the Ring app while the camera is recording you also have the ability to talk 2-way thru the device if you wish. The doorbell does not have to be pushed to talk. It will record to any device i.e. my phone app or my laptop with the Ring app for viewing anytime on each device. You can store those videos or you have the ability to delete them whenever you wish, or send them over the web if you want to share them like the example above. Just yesterday I watched a Neighborhood video that is shared if you choose that in the menu, it recorded somebody stealing a Lexus in the guys driveway at night. I disable that feature so I don't get a lot of alerts on my phone of plain paranoid folks sharing a suspected person coming up to their door harmlessly. But it does have some advantages if it's a valid theft or attempted break-in as a warning to local neighbors.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That it won't record and save local copies without a subscription is a deal killer, to me. That it's engineered that way - intentionally hobbled unless you pay more, forever - is the gotcha, and I detest most subscription models for pricing anyway.

Great product, otherwise. Some folks don't mind, clearly. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That it won't record and save local copies without a subscription is a deal killer, to me. That it's engineered that way - intentionally hobbled unless you pay more, forever - is the gotcha, and I detest most subscription models for pricing anyway.

I agree. But at $30 a year for 1 camera, $100 a year for unlimited plus with the unlimited all
the cameras are warrantied for life even against theft.
That is cheap.

I just ordered a Ring Pro today with the code (thanks to the OP) and will add cameras later if I am happy with it. Used the OPs code to save $25 plus they let you checkout through Amazon which I get 5% back on all my Amazon purchases. So $212.80 seems like quite the deal for a Pro to me.

Can notifications be set by each viewing device? For instance can my wife's phone just get a notification when the button is pushed and mine get all the motion notifications?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

As mentioned in this thread earlier, I've already saved 3 times as much of the yearly $30 fee when I presented the video to a company that sent me the package that my PO carrier logged in as "delivered" at 7:02PM on a particular day and I had the recording that showed my PO carrier had delivered my regular mail without the package at 2:33PM that day in the afternoon. The company immediately apologized and sent me another package "signature required" and a case was filed with the PO for reimbursement. I would have been SOL without the video, and no proof that it hadn't been delivered because it had been marked "delivered" by the carrier. I guess you could say "I was saved by the bell!".. the doorbell that is. Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

Usually feel the same way, but three bucks a month is hard to beat. Especially knowing that more sophisticated burglars will recognize cameras, locate and steal the DVR they're saved on. I think it's worth it to have the videos saved off site and be able to forward them by email.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Would you mind if I shared that video with the company for their website?

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Pro model ordered.
OP: thanks for the coupon Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife got me the model that has the front door and two other cameras.
Works well if you have good Wifi or hard wire it. Easy to set up.
My main gripe is the battery life if you don't hard wire it or you have a brick house that makes exterior Wifi more of a challenge. I have installed a Wifi extender for one. Frequent alerts also use up more battery. The literature says the battery lasts 6 months to a year but less if you have the problems like I have with wifi.
Define less. Mine has been much less. Mine are lucky to last a month per charge and one was replaced already because after the first recharge it stopped working altogether. Fortunately they are easy to un-clip from their mounts for recharging.
I'll need a few more months experience to see how the battery holds up and the reliability.

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post