SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring Doorbell/Surveillance Camera Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
**Posted with Admin Approval**

I was contacted by Ring.com to test and evaluate their doorbell/surveillance camera system. I was incredulous, but my family and I have found it very useful. I just caught the mail guy NOT delivering a package, but reporting that no one was home.

It runs off your wifi and they also have cameras that can run off 12-month batteries or solar chargers.

They gave me a $25 off coupon code for others to use. Here's the rub: If a whole bunch of people use the code, they send me free stuff. I can't in good conscious say I'm not affiliated with the company. I don't work for the company and make no money off of their sales. Still, I think it's a good product and I wanted to share.

www.ring.com

Coupon code: 44ringenid

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Bunch of people here are already users. Good stuff.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Had mine now for some time. Though I have mine just running on the internal battery which I get about two months before a recharge. It's got pretty good range too. My a/c guy was just at my house the other day and told me his wife is in London and she is getting notifications on her iPhone when the motion detector activates. Additionally, I had a post office carrier record in their logs a package was delivered on such and such date to check my recordings and it clearly shows him delivering my regular mail that day at a different time stamp with clearly no package. Btw, it's set up to be able to forward this videos straight from the app to another source for viewing or posting. I have the app on my iPhone mostly for the notifications and alerts/2-way voice, in addition to the app on my laptop for larger viewing if needed. It really has a lot of good features, even Neighborhood watch where if somebody gets a suspicious video they can share with all the neighbors in that area with a Ring doorbell. I turned that feature off because so many paranoid folks were posting videos that "they" thought were suspicious looking. It's a gret product with very good customer support should you need to reach them if needed.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked on up at BB on Black Friday last year. I like it except the motion alerts can be a bit annoying. I have the sensitivity turned down to just zone 6 (right in front ot the door) but it still picks up every car that goes down the road, which is 25-30 feet away. The problem is worse on sunny days.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Had it installed for about a month. Really like it so far.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I like mine but also have issues with the motion detection. I have it turned way down so that it doesn't pick someone up until they are right at my door, yet somehow it gets set off by cars on the road thirty feet away.

I've heard the pro version is better but I don't know if I want to spend that extra money.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is an account with Ring required for the use of the devices or will they record/alert directly to a memory device?

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:
Is an account with Ring required for the use of the devices or will they record/alert directly to a memory device?

An account is required. Mine came with a year for free. After that, it's $30 per year.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
quote:
Originally posted by BDMF:

An account is required. Mine. And with a year for free. After that, it's $30 per year.

Yeah. You really want the Cloud recording service. It's $3 a month, but for me, that's the whole point of having it. BG's are always becoming more sophisticated. They've taken to finding the security system's DVR and taking it, too. With this, there's nothing to take. It's already recorded off site.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
How are these mounted? Can I mount one on my metal security door screen?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have the ring door bell and the camera for the back yard. mainly to watch and check in on my German shepherd. I love the system. My only complaint is the motion settings are a bit of a pain and no matter what the distance setting is set at every car and person walking by sends me a message about their presence.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's good stuff. I busted a package thief (neighbor from about a block away) on mine. She plead guilty to a summary offense theft. Funny thing was she tried to say she didn't steal (weeks after she was arrested) it but moved it to the driveway placing it behind my work van. She didn't realize I have one of the stick up cams that covers the driveway and showed her leaving he property with my package. Nice try lady.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
This is excellent. A good video doorbell was on my short-term to-do list following the break-in at the farm.

How long will that discount code be valid?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Had one for two years now, love it. Especially love it when we are 750 miles away and still "answer" the door.

Very cool, very stable.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

This short video on their web page would probably give you some insight to mounting the video doorbell with this online setup guide. IMO, I've got mine attached to the outside concrete wall for stability. I don't think I'd mount it to a metal door screen as the doorbell has inside circuitry and the door might jar some of it, or come loose from it's frame. You could call their customer service and tell them how you wish to mount it and perhaps they can give you the best recommendation.

LINK Ring Online setup Guide

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
This is excellent. A good video doorbell was on my short-term to-do list following the break-in at the farm.

How long will that discount code be valid?

-Rob

It doesn't list an expiration date that I can find. I'm trying to upload the flyer to Photobucket, but it's not cooperating.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

You can mount it where your existing doorbell is which is what I did. That way, it never needs charged. The stick-up cameras have the option of a solar charger for $50 extra. That's what I plan on doing when I add cameras.

Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
We've had one for about 3 months now...love it.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
Make sure you keep your fimware updated. It sent a little data to China

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
Make sure you keep your fimware updated. It sent a little data to China

It has been my experience in the past, Ring automatically updated my software remotely. I basically found out when I saw new features in the menu and called them up.

Regards, Will G.