SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An essay on Arab military ineffectiveness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An essay on Arab military ineffectiveness Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Dry, but concise and illuminating

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The Monarchs/Dictators buy the best equipment and turn it over to incompetency.
They are good for 4 things:
a. Holding their power
b. Suppressing their women
c. Drilling their oil
d. Drilling their young boys/livestock.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons may also be the culture of tribalism. This clan doesn't trust others because they are a different clan or religious branch from the 'home' group.

T.E. Lawrence: So long as the Arabs fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a silly people - greedy, barbarous, and cruel, as you are.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Years ago, in a book about Popski's Private Army in WWII, I read that if you see a building anywhere in Northern Africa, you can be certain it was built by the Romans, because Arab men will not work.

That sems extravagant, but maybe there is a problem with efficient organization.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I spent six months as a Peace Corps volunteer in Mauritania until we were kicked out during the Six-Day War.
Mauritania has moors (mixture of Arab and Berber) and blacks (Wolof or other tribes same as Senegal to the south).
Blacks were or are slaves; the moors drank tea while their black "associates" did all the work on dams and wells we were building. Funny thing, as a result of working the blacks had magnificent physiques, the Moors were scrawny. They sat around drinking tea.

Some years later the blacks finally rose in revolt.
As far as I know they still have slaves.

Posts: 18055 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Maybe 4-5 years ago, there was an informative thread on this topic here.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember an old joke as to why Egypt lost to Israel in the Seven Day War. Their tanks did not have a reverse gear.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Now, imagine being the US military person who has been made responsible for 'training' the emerging military forces, so that you could leave. Imagine the political pressures to claim that training was successful.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The same principles can be applied to why large projects fail in business, why emergency management of large incidents fails, etc.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
a. Holding their power
c. Drilling their oil

I take exception to c. Since when do they know how to drill oil? They know how to let oil companies drill in exchange for mucho dinero...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
Now, imagine being the US military person who has been made responsible for 'training' the emerging military forces, so that you could leave. Imagine the political pressures to claim that training was successful.

I've a childhood friend in the Army that did just that. He was in Saudi for four years training their Army officers on mission planning. He said, in general, most couldn't plan anything more complex than a company sized movement, and most of the time, things would collapse because of poor, confusing and counter communication from HQ, poor logistics and inattention by their higher leadership. Officers are chosen for their loyalty to the royal family, if not, their relation to them. Many of the enlisted are illiterate or, close to it, thus their ability to learn, comprehend and execute multiple tasks is stunted. As the video points out, units are good at what their leader is most concerned about. In the case of Arab armies, it's looking good in uniform and looking good for parades...war fighting, what's that?

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
a. Holding their power
c. Drilling their oil

I take exception to c. Since when do they know how to drill oil? They know how to let oil companies drill in exchange for mucho dinero...
+1 They hire foreign companies to drill, build o&g infrastructure, etc

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
You can't forget "Inshalla" or "As Allah wills it" attitude that permeates the Arab society.

Maintenance doesn't get done, or is not done anywhere near correctly.

A relative by marriage has some mind bending stories of living in Egypt.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to talk to a Delta Force guy who trained with King Abdullah of Jordan, who went through a lot of US military training. He said that the king was a real deal commando who led from the front.

I guess he's the exception that proves the rule.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I had the chance to talk to a Delta Force guy who trained with King Abdullah of Jordan, who went through a lot of US military training. He said that the king was a real deal commando who led from the front.

I guess he's the exception that proves the rule.

It's the family business.

There is always one guy in every class....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Years ago, in a book about Popski's Private Army in WWII, I read that if you see a building anywhere in Northern Africa, you can be certain it was built by the Romans, because Arab men will not work.

That sems extravagant, but maybe there is a problem with efficient organization.

Or in Algeria La Légion Étrangère.

The Légion built most of the hard surface roads in the hinterlands that existed prior to 1930.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
You can't forget "Inshalla" or "As Allah wills it" attitude that permeates the Arab society.

Maintenance doesn't get done, or is not done anywhere near correctly.

A relative by marriage has some mind bending stories of living in Egypt.

This brings to mind the problem of cousin-marriage. Years ago I met an Egyptian who was in the US to earn enough money to get married back in Egypt. He planned to get married to his cousin as their relatives supervised her life so that she was a guaranteed virgin.

If your soldiers are inbred dummies that's a bad start.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I remember reading a while ago that Arab militaries, for the most part, operate on the insha'Allah principle when it comes to caring for and maintaining their equipment.

Meaning "if Allah wills it, that airplane will stay in the air, or that tank will keep running", regardless of whatever piss-poor or nonexistent maintenance they give them.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I did not find the presenter or information dry. What does that say about me?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:

Reminds me of the recent thread about the Vietnam war.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post