SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remarks of Lyndon Johnson upon signing the Gun Control Act of 1968
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remarks of Lyndon Johnson upon signing the Gun Control Act of 1968 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Link

"Congress adopted most of our recommendations. But this bill--as big as this bill is--still falls short, because we just could not get the Congress to carry out the requests we made of them. I asked for the national registration of all guns and the licensing of those who carry those guns. For the fact of life is that there are over 160 million guns in this country--more firearms than families. If guns are to be kept out of the hands of the criminal, out of the hands of the insane, and out of the hands of the irresponsible, then we just must have licensing. If the criminal with a gun is to be tracked down quickly, then we must have registration in this country.

The voices that blocked these safeguards were not the voices of an aroused nation. They were the voices of a powerful lobby, a gun lobby, that has prevailed for the moment in an election year.

But the key to effective crime control remains, in my judgment, effective gun control. And those of us who are really concerned about crime just must--somehow, someday--make our voices felt. We must continue to work for the day when Americans can get the full protection that every American citizen is entitled to and deserves-the kind of protection that most civilized nations have long ago adopted. We have been through a great deal of anguish these last few months and these last few years-too much anguish to forget so quickly.

So now we must complete the task which this long needed legislation begins. We have come a long way. We have made much progress--but not nearly enough."
- October 22, 1968

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That evil man did terrible damage to this nation in so many ways. Irreparable harm, it seems, unfortunately.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
fuck that guy

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
fuck that guy
Well, he's dead, so...

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Mobbed up SOB. Got his job by assassination.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Johnson, the architect of the inner city ghetto with his Great Society package, perhaps one of the most damaging decisions in modern America.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Mobbed up SOB. Got his job by assassination.
Pulled the trigger himself, I hear.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Premonitions of Bill Ayers in LBJ's own actions...

Here’s what LBJ biographer Rober Caro relates of Johnson and his friends as they ran around in Johnson City in the mid-1920s:
"While most of their escapades were harmless, some began to skirt closer to the law. When Lyndon and his friends heard that a German farmer, Christian Diggs, had made his annual batch of grape wine, they pried loose boards from his barn and stole a fifty-five-gallon barrel, worth a not inconsiderable amount of money in Hill Country terms—and Diggs was persuaded only with difficulty not to go to the sheriff. They hung a few sticks of dynamite in trees in Johnson City, and ignited them to scare the townspeople—that was just a prank, but it stopped being funny when it was learned that they had obtained the dynamite by breaking into the State Highway Department storage shed. That was a state offense, and the sheriff passed word around Johnson City that whoever had done it had better not do it again. “I always hated cops when I was a kid,” Johnson was to say, and on this occasion he defied them; a few nights later, they stole more dynamite and shattered the large mulberry tree in front of the school. The Highway Department put a watchman at the shed; after he fell asleep one night, Lyndon and his friends broke in, stole more dynamite, and hung it from the telephone line that ran across Courthouse Square. Then, Bob Edwards says, “we lit the thing and got in the car and ran like hell”—and the ensuing explosion knocked all the windows out of the Johnson City Bank. The sheriff let it be known that the next time something like this happened, he would make arrests. Lyndon’s Grandmother Baines repeated her prediction that “That boy is going to end up in the penitentiary,” and Johnson City, which had always known that he was going to come to no good, felt that he was well on the way to fulfilling her prophecy. And, perhaps, so did Lyndon Johnson himself. Recalling his boyhood, he once said: “I was only a hairsbreadth away from going to jail.”"

I wonder whether we’d have had the Great Society, Medicare, Medicaid, the Civil Rights Act, food stamps, gun control, and of course the Vietnam War, if he'd gone to prison as he should have.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's pretty impressive, really, that pre internet, way back in 1968, so to speak, there were already 160 Million firearms (of the modern and well known variety, which I suspect excludes all muskets and historical sorts) in the hands of American citizens. I don't think I had seen that stat before. So, basically, the number has doubled over my lifetime.

As for Johnson, and most every other fool like him, it's never enough to them. It's a solid reminder of why we should never, ever, give the stupid bastards an inch, or a millimeter even, as it will never be enough, they will never stop asking, never stop trying to deny a fundamental and natural Right that's already been foolishly watered down, significantly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Guns for me, but not for thee. Typical liberal/democrat.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One of my part time jobs as a youngster was delivery boy for a pharmacy. The pharmacy was in town, and also featured a grill where businessmen and citizens came in for coffee, breakfast, etc.

Saturdays was a day when area ranchers would come into town, run errands, take care of business etc. There was a group of old timers who frequently met for breakfast in the pharmacy. This would have been in 1960-61 and politics would often be the topic.

One of the old timers told the story several times how he had a ranch out between San Marcos and New Braunfels back in the late ‘20’s-early ‘30’s when he was having a cattle rustling problem. He caught a group of college kids, the ring leader of which was a tall skinny drink of water named Lyndon Johnson. “I shoulda strung that SOB up!” he would exclaim.

In those days, 1960’ish, about half the people around there believed him, and the other half thought Johnson was the political genius of all time. Many of them had dealt with him, knew him pretty well.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't he the one that said something about having a certain constituency voting for Dems for a long period of time.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is why we must not surrender any more ground no matter what. The Left will never stop pressing for their goal of disarming the people of this country. We see the progress LBJ spoke of since the 30's. They use every excuse and event to justify their cause. They've come a long way. They've seized our liberty substantially. We are oppressed by dead men. Not one more inch. In fact, we must begin taking ground back.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Johnson, the architect of the inner city ghetto with his Great Society package, perhaps one of the most damaging decisions in modern America.

Asshole basically destroyed the black family by replacing the man as head of household with government hand outs.

The damage he's done to the country will never be undone. Created a welfare society of voters.

quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Isn't he the one that said something about having a certain constituency voting for Dems for a long period of time.

Yeah, he's that son of a bitch.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
That evil man did terrible damage to this nation in so many ways. Irreparable harm, it seems, unfortunately.

And he had a Democrat controlled Congress to help do damage.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were the voices of a powerful lobby, a gun lobby

Wake up call for the NRA, time to really get involved.

Johnson's push to license owners and register guns angered the National Rifle Association, setting in motion an enduring storm of resistance. Probably more the membership and not the leadership.

In addition to the great society turd, he is also responsible for the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
fuck that guy
Well, he's dead, so...

Sam Kinison did a skit on that. Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the criminal with a gun is to be tracked down quickly, then we must have registration in this country.

Um, yeah. Roll Eyes
Because criminals register their guns. Problem solved. Nice job LBJ.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't he also lie about a WWII Navy mission for which he was awarded the Silver Star?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When I was a little kid all the adults I knew had an unbridled hatred for that man. I didn't understand it at the time. It really surprised me.

I figured out why after I got out of high school. He was a complete POS.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post