SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Seek” on modern radios
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Seek” on modern radios Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
The radio in my F250 has a “Seek” button for radio stations.
I know, who listens to plain ole radio these days?
Anyway, my guess on how it’s sposed to work is that when pressed, it seeks out the next strong radio signal on the dial.
What happens about 19/32nds of the time is that it stops on a very static-y station, or it stops on a freq that is nothing but undulating static.
What gives?
This is not just a problem with my radio. I’ve had the Seek button do this on nearly every vehicle I’ve been in that is so equipped.
I know, 1st world problems.... but...GRRRR!

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Don't know how common it is but I once had an aftermarket radio in put in a car and the "seek" had 2 levels selectable sensitivity level. It's a long shot yea but you might refer to the manual...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Don't know how common it is but I once had an aftermarket radio in put in a car and the "seek" had 2 levels selectable sensitivity level. It's a long shot yea but you might refer to the manual...

Read a manual?! Heresy! Smile

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Read a manual?! Heresy! Smile

Not heresy. Just stupidity.

I have a 2017 F150. The owner's manual is gibberish. Disorganized, impossible to use or understand. Probably written by somebody that speaks Mandarin Chinese as his native/primary language. It's a damnable mess.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a seek button but it doesn't go to the next strong signal. It hits a radio station, stays there for like 40 seconds then moves on. I have to press it to make it stay.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
That particular version of seek is called scan.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
All I usually get on seek is astounded by how many mexican radio stations are in the greater Phx area.
I may find a classic rock tune only to find out that it's the only one they've played in 6 months. Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
All I usually get on seek is astounded by how many mexican radio stations are in the greater Phx area.
I may find a classic rock tune only to find out that it's the only one they've played in 6 months. Roll Eyes

Or a radio station that has a playlist of 6 songs and 5 of them suck. Plus the terrain around here allows for a usable signal (assuming you can find one at all) to last about 10 miles. Except Bubba Gump's All Jesus All The Time channel. They must have their own nuclear reactor powering their transmitter.

Can't remember the last time I turned the radio on in a vehicle.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

Speaking of Mexican Radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Depending if it's an AM or FM station, time of day can play a factor on when you you tune in to static instead of music or commentary - even from a vehicle (there's an FM station I like, most times a mirror to my favorite AM station, and I can only get it in the car - portables can't get it clear - even with an external FM antenna.). If you know your stations, you can preset them and just push the buttons.

I always listen to the radio while driving. And sometimes when I'm not (portables). Mostly between two stations - classical and oldies. The oldies station plays the long version to Don McLean's American Pie, The Guess Who's American Woman, and Redbone's Come and Get Your Love. Classical is always on on Sunday, when they play Baroque for 7 hours in the morning.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a new vehicle that came with a 6-month trial for SiriusXM. Sat. radio has revived my interest in listening to radio on the road.

The DC area has long been a veritable wasteland of decent AM and FM stations, while satellite has several good channels, many of them ad-free. Yes, the idea of paying for radio burns my ass, but I am seriously considering doing so when the trial is over.

And the seek button works just fine when you don't have to worry about a bad signal.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I recently bought a new vehicle that came with a 6-month trial for SiriusXM. Sat. radio has revived my interest in listening to radio on the road.

The DC area has long been a veritable wasteland of decent AM and FM stations, while satellite has several good channels, many of them ad-free. Yes, the idea of paying for radio burns my ass, but I am seriously considering doing so when the trial is over.

I've had XM sat since I bought my 2008 Ridgeline 10 years ago and have been paying $5 a month for several years. When your trial period ends tell the cust service retention expert that, while you like the service, you don't use it enough to warrant keeping it.

they will immediately offer $99 a year. I say no, not worth it to me, please cancel. CS comes back with 6 months super promo rate for $30 and I accept that. The only catch is if you don't call to cancel before the 6 months promo ends you auto renew at reg price. I put it on my yahoo calendar and call 2 or 3 days before exp. I always say I'm calling to cancel but I would renew at the same $5 a month rate. Takes about 3 minutes of listening to the $99 a year pitch and refusing.

XM's value is based on number of subscribers so they will do their best to keep current customers.

I seldom listen to anything but sat, especially on the road.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Can't remember the last time I turned the radio on in a vehicle.
I bought a Ford Edge eleven months ago. I have no idea whether the radio receives any stations. I have never used it for that. Never even tried it.

It does one thing for me, and it does that really well. My hearing aids do a really crappy job with the telephone, so bad that telephone calls are not an option for me, with one exception: when I am in the Edge, Ford Sync does a fairly reasonable job of connecting my iPhone to the car radio via bluetooth. Incoming audio from phone calls goes through the car radio's amplifier and speakers, and depending on the frequency content of the caller's voice, my comprehension can be anywhere from "muddling through" to "very understandable." The only time I have a prayer of understanding a phone call is when I'm in the car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Multi-function buttons abound. Tap it (short press), and it may “tune”- as in manually moving up (or down) to tune to a particular frequency. This may be used to tune to a station that is not strong enough to be caught in the “seek” mode. Press and hold (long press), and you may get the “seek” that you are...ahem...seeking.

Steering wheel controls can work the same way, although some times a short press moves you to the next preset station while long press seeks.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The DC area has long been a veritable wasteland of decent AM and FM stations...

I'm reminded of that sad fact every year when we're back there visiting. However, when I was stationed at PAX River in '77-79, WPGC, Morningside, MD was a great station. And IIRC, another one of the local stations was airing The Greaseman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
....or it stops on a freq that is nothing but undulating static.
What gives?

Because it sounds like a lot of modern music, especially modern "dance" music. I am not joking.

Fast forward to about 25 seconds:

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Who knows what criteria the radio uses for deciding what is a station or signal it should pause on. Sounds like a programming problem on the OP's radio.

Mine has the scan feature. I prefer seek functions that stop and have to be told to move on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The (factory) radio in my F250 was just the opposite. The seek/scan never stopped on a staticy station, it needed a fairly strong signal to find. It would skip over frequencies where I knew damn well there was a station, albeit not a strong one.

As far as Sirius XM goes, I'm still on a 12 month free trial and I'm less than overwhelmed by it. I probably won't extend it when the trial period expires this summer.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
The DC area has long been a veritable wasteland of decent AM and FM stations...

I'm reminded of that sad fact every year when we're back there visiting. However, when I was stationed at PAX River in '77-79, WPGC, Morningside, MD was a great station. And IIRC, another one of the local stations was airing The Greaseman.
WPGC was top 40 pop back when I was a teenager, it is black pop/rap now (I think). I never cared much for WPGC, but it was fairly popular among my peers.

The last decent music station in the area was WHFS, a great but low-power station that went off the air back in the 90's. WHFS let their DJs select and play whatever they wanted, no playlist or "format" (although it trended towards progressive rock). I really miss WHFS, although picking it up across the river in VA was always chancy.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post