SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen remodel...oh man!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen remodel...oh man! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Define your project scope clearly! Write it down on put it somewhere visible.

Our kitchen remodel exploded into an entire first floor remodel. It started with cabinets that were very cheap and worn out and a layout that desperately needed to change. Then we decided to do the floors, which flow into the living room, then we might as well redo the fireplace and add built-ins , and repaint and replace / add lighting and new ceiling fans, and, and, and......

I'm really glad we did it and we we still love the new kitchen (its been six years), but I thought the project was never going to end.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the appliances ordered first. Shopped for a new refrigerator last month, nothing fancy. We were quoted delivery Oct 13, now supposed to be Oct 29th. We were told all GE products delivery times are next March/April !

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Same thing here about the appliance delays. I get supply chain issues, but I feel like there is some deceit going on. We ordered our fridge, happy to see this one was listed as in stock according to Home Depot's website. Also surprised that it was scheduled to be delivered on 10/7, just 8 days after purchase. Then 2 days before delivery we ere notified we had been rescheduled for 10/17. No explanation, just rescheduled. Yesterday, I got a call that it was being rescheduled yet again for 11/14.

Three takeaways::: First, I think it's safe to say the fridge was never in stock. Second, I don't understand how your forecasting can be that poor. Third, I'm fairly certain at this point I will not see my fridge magically appear on 11/14. I called the Whirlpool service number they provided to try to get some answers, and I got a call center in India who had none, but they offered an inconvenience compensation of $120 without prompting from me. I wasn't looking for any compensation, but I took it because, well, I'm not stupid.

I'm not really upset about the delays, but I am annoyed about what I see as the lack of transparency. Don't know if that originates from Home Depot or Whirlpool or both, but I'm not sure giving out delivery dates like candy only to reschedule just prior is the best approach.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
going through the same thing right now

base cabinets about $16k installed, add another $2k for trim and decor panels

countertops (Cambria Armitage quartz) is $10k, backsplash and tile work add another $3k

ended up buying new appliances - GE Profile series refrigerator, gas range and a replacement microwave...

I feel for ya

I expect the trim piece to be installed on November 12, the countertop guys come back and re-measure shortly thereafter

I expect to have the countertops mid-December if the plumber arrives in time to rebuild the kitchen sink Big Grin

for me, this is the first of 8 renovation projects - one room every year until the entire place is rebuilt

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Actually, the kitchen is the biggest part of it. We are redoing the floors, an entertainment unit, and downstairs remodel. I may be MIA for a bit...

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Right now the supply of materials is tight, and prices are high for lumber. If you can wait, doing so might be best budget wise.

If not, plan for several weeks of delays on materials, best bet would to get an accurate plan drawn, list the materials and order them in advance of starting the project, once the materials are in, then start on the demo.

Until everything is available in stock you could be sitting there for two to three weeks with new cabinets and no granite.

Remodel and new house market is hot.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very important, be very sure of what you want before you sign a contract.

Lots of contractors bid cheap and depend on change orders to make any profit.

A small change can be a big charge.

Hiring an architect make sure everyone is bidding on the same project with the same requirements.

If there is any structural work to be done, be sure to hire an architect, more expensive up front, much cheaper in the long run.

Get at least five bids on a major job, throw out the high and the low unless they are very close to the other bids.

The bids can be drastically different.

If it's a simple cosmetic makeover just changing cabinets and counters, you should be able to have home depot/lowes draw it up for people to bid on. Then is just the cost of installed price for cabinets and counters based on what you pick out.

My countertop bids were from $90 to $175 per sq ft for Quartzite.

My remodel was 175% from the high to low.

I sent my wife away during construction, I was walking over open floor beams for weeks.

Good luck, its not fun but worth it long term.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
My $.02 is easy, I highly recommend a fisher and paykel dish drawer. We have had several in houses over the years and would not be happy without it. We are a 5 person family and not having to run a partially full dishwasher is pretty cool. Load up 1 drawer and run it, the other drawer is always available.

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
you and your wife should decide on what you want, and don't change the scope in mid job. Change orders are costly.

Also, prepare for stress in your life.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
head over to Houzz.com to get local builders who have their work on the website, It would be a good starting point, plus tons of ideas.

Here is mine.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/raybly/ray-bly-cabinetry

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find space for a trash compactor. Never knew what I was missing until I had one. The quiet rated dishwashers really are that, quiet. Got gas? If it’s in the house and not in the kitchen, now is the chance to add. If you make the island deep, you can put storage cabinets underneath the bar (so cabinets are on both sides) and use them for storing lesser used items like holiday serving dishes, etc.

Also, I’m a Whirlpool employee... email the address in my profile and I can help you with discounts on anything Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid or Amana branded.

Best of luck!

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
base cabinets about $16k installed, add another $2k for trim and decor panels
Every time I see numbers like that I thank god for every day I spent in my grandfather's millwork shop as a kid, and since then, building furniture and cabinetry on my own. When I get ready to do a remodel of my kitchen, I'll be spending a couple weeks building and finishing the new cabinets, before I get to a point where I can install them myself. The savings from that should almost cut the cost of my remodel in half. Smile

XLT, you sir do some awesome work. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I highly recommend you wait until the supply chain gets back closer to normal.

Absolutely this. And before you start make sure you have a complete plan to the finest details. Make sure all the appliances you plan for and measure for are available, even buying them and storing them. Get a reputable and experienced contractor.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We did a full kitchen remodel some years ago, shopped around decided on just what we wanted, got quotes. I told my wife I could build/install/finish better quality cabinets; material cost plus a planer, dovetail jig, few other tools, for less money than the quotes, would have it done in 3 months. She approved.

I actually came a little under budget. And it took only 9 months to finish the job. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Find space for a trash compactor. Never knew what I was missing until I had one. The quiet rated dishwashers really are that, quiet. Got gas? If it’s in the house and not in the kitchen, now is the chance to add. If you make the island deep, you can put storage cabinets underneath the bar (so cabinets are on both sides) and use them for storing lesser used items like holiday serving dishes, etc.

Also, I’m a Whirlpool employee... email the address in my profile and I can help you with discounts on anything Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid or Amana branded.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your generosity. If I can repay the favor please allow me to do so!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
head over to Houzz.com to get local builders who have their work on the website, It would be a good starting point, plus tons of ideas.

Here is mine.

That's great work! We are going with solid wood as well.

God, Family, Country.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Dave, I think your best option is to work with someone who can model your designs for you. They'll provide a lot of good feedback, and hopefully walk you through the process to a positive outcome. Assuming your wife is the one who cooks, have her chat with the design person about integrating drawers (instead of standard base cabinets) into your design around the stove/oven to store all your cookware. Its so much nicer to simply open a full extension drawer, look down, and grab what she needs, as opposed to hunting and digging around in a cabinet. Personally, I also like drawers instead of standard cabinets for all my storage containers and small kitchen appliances.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Looks good. Like your range.

We went to gas cooktop from smooth top electric. Thats one thing we wouldn't do if had to do over.

The smooth top electric is so much easier to clean and gas isn't that much faster.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

Here is mine.

That's great work! We are going with solid wood as well.

Thank you !! and others that have said nice things about my work. If you know the basic layout of what you want send me a basic sketch with some dimensions and I will do a cad drawing for you to take around to other shops.

No charge..

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post