SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Game hunters, don't forget to apply!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Game hunters, don't forget to apply! Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
In Colorado you have until midnight April 4th to apply online, or get yer apps in the mail. Good luck.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
In Colorado you have until midnight April 4th to apply online, or get yer apps in the mail. Good luck.

I will bite: Apply for what?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Elk tags, etc

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I missed last year cause I let time go by.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

For to hunt your other ELK buddies and such!! You know, DEERS and mooses and antelopies, all that fun stuff!!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

For to hunt your other ELK buddies and such!! You know, DEERS and mooses and antelopies, all that fun stuff!!

Ah, understand. Just not used to seeing hunting applications for fall big game in March.

Edited to add:
Way back before dirt, when I was a "yonker" in N. Idaho, we could buy hunting licenses and tags up until the last day of season. And the seasons ran from about labor day to Dec. 31.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Yessir. I'll be doing it online this weekend.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah, understand. Just not used to seeing hunting applications for fall big game in March.

Edited to add:
Way back before dirt, when I was a "yonker" in N. Idaho, we could buy hunting licenses and tags up until the last day of season. And the seasons ran from about labor day to Dec. 31.

Going from hunting in VA to CO was such a shock to me. No longer could a person just go get a license that was good for any area in the state, NO, you had to apply for specific units (and dates). That meant trying to figure out when you wouldn't be working before hand, booking hotels in advance, and general asshattery because it's a cash cow. I know it's not limited to CO, it is actually done this way in all the western states, but man, they nickle and dime you for everything they can.

You can still get licenses over the counter...They are called leftover tags and you can get them anywhere that sells hunting/fishing licenses. That's what I ended up doing the few times I had a chance to go hunting. I always wanted to do a trophy elk hunt, but it just seemed that you needed a fortune to do so. Gave up on that idea and moved on back here to VA where I can go kill 5 deer in a season and cheaply buy stamps for more if I wanted to.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Edited to add:

Going from hunting in VA to CO was such a shock to me. No longer could a person just go get a license that was good for any area in the state, NO, you had to apply for specific units (and dates). That meant trying to figure out when you wouldn't be working before hand, booking hotels in advance, and general asshattery because it's a cash cow. I know it's not limited to CO, it is actually done this way in all the western states, but man, they nickle and dime you for everything they can.

You can still get licenses over the counter...They are called leftover tags and you can get them anywhere that sells hunting/fishing licenses. That's what I ended up doing the few times I had a chance to go hunting. I always wanted to do a trophy elk hunt, but it just seemed that you needed a fortune to do so. Gave up on that idea and moved on back here to VA where I can go kill 5 deer in a season and cheaply buy stamps for more if I wanted to.

A true "trophy" Elk is something Ive never quite managed and like you, I dont want to pay 8000+ dollars for a guided hunt somewhere. Ill buy OTC tags and try to out hike other guys butin the end I want the meat.

My dad has been applying for NM ibex for awhile now, I really hope he gets it. ME? Im sitting out this year so I can get residency in Alaska.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post