SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update: Truck transport questions/suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Truck transport questions/suggestions Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I may have the Toyota I have been looking for located and someone who is interested in doing some trading. It is approx 2000 miles away. Looking for someone coming west that wants to drive. A good rig and AC to boot, haha.

So wondering about options and possible cost's. Any input?

Email in profile if you wish to discuss.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
No suggestions on a transport guys.
The truck is in KY. Needs to end up somewhere in SD or better yet MT or ID in the next month or so.

posted Hide Post
When I inquired about shipping cost, it seems like they quoted $2 a mile.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
I recently had my sons car shipped from KY to Camp Pendleton in Oceanside CA for $975. I used a broker (most are) company called Priority Auto relocations. I was happy with their service and it happened fast.

Posts: 600 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bummer.
I already have all my leave spoken for with our fist trip to Disney for the boys in the fall and a few long weekend trips for the summer.

I am in KY and would gladly haul it out the for you for the cost of a trailer rental.

A trip to big Sky Country and the badlands would be right up there on my list of enjoyment. But to best do it I would want 2 weeks for the trip to do it right so I would hit Utah and Colorado on the way home and really enjoy it but I don’t have that much time to take off at the moment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Black92LX, thanks I appreciate that. Maybe someone else is up for that trip? Smile

Drive it out, fly home on me?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you're not open to a fly/drive roadtrip yourself just ship it. I shipped a car from PHX to DFW for about $650, it's not awful. If the price isn't good enough that this makes a difference just find it closer. I doubt it's a unicorn truck, right?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would definitely be up for a trip like that but I suspect getting me to KY from FL and then back to FL might wash out any money you save.

When I road trip, I don't stay at hotels, I just drive until I get tired, then I sleep at rest stops, then I drive again. Kind of like Forrest Gump with running... Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
If you're not open to a fly/drive roadtrip yourself just ship it. I shipped a car from PHX to DFW for about $650, it's not awful. If the price isn't good enough that this makes a difference just find it closer. I doubt it's a unicorn truck, right?

It will usually be cheaper to ship it when you count the gas,tolls,wear and tear and a hotel room and flight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

It will usually be cheaper to ship it when you count the gas,tolls,wear and tear and a hotel room and flight.

Not to mention the time it takes to do the driving.

But DFW to PHX is a pretty easy drive around 15 hours or so. Plus that's a well traveled route going I-20 to I-10 straight into PHX where a driver might be able to pick up another transport and bundle the trip.

But going to MT, SD or ID is a little out of the way for most drivers, I would believe.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
ORC, you should say where in Kentucky the vehicle is, be specific as to where it is going. I might drive it for you as I most certainly have the time. Probably cost you 40 dollars in just coffee... Big Grin. What does this job pay ? You can email me.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Dad occasionally has (antique) tractors trucked and seems to have established a pretty good relationship with at least one trucker - I can ask him for some contact info if you want.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
But going to MT, SD or ID is a little out of the way for most drivers, I would believe.

Exactly right, but most of the bid-for-transport sites allow for specificity of urgency. If he doesn't care if it arrives for a few weeks, probably cheaper.

Jimmy's comment about the awful wear and tear assumes you're going to park it in a museum I assume. For me, the opportunity to take a road trip and see part of the country is one of the reasons I have cars, not some curse. It's just money.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thx guys. I appreciate it. I will post more and email this evening

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Exactly right, but most of the bid-for-transport sites allow for specificity of urgency. If he doesn't care if it arrives for a few weeks, probably cheaper.

Jimmy's comment about the awful wear and tear assumes you're going to park it in a museum I assume. For me, the opportunity to take a road trip and see part of the country is one of the reasons I have cars, not some curse. It's just money.

I never said AWEFUL wear and tear, so please don't misquote me.

When figuring whether to ship or drive it yourself, you have to look at ALL costs to make an accurate decision. Long term maintenance/depreciation on a pickup truck generally is around $0.40 a mile so it has to be figured in to the total.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I have done some inquiring with a few transport companies. More than I expected. Not really knowing what to expect.
Wondering if anyone else has any abstract thoughts or idea's.
The transport is from Lexington KY to say Billings or maybe Missoula, MT.

Timing is not critical.

I have not tried US ship

Thanks guys.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wish I could do more to help. If I had the leave time I would gladly bring it out.
I am local to it if you need anything feel free to shoot me an email.
Buy it from a dealer or individual?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Email inbound.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Black, I appreciate that. An individual. He is not in Lexington but an easy drive from there.
Feel free to email me for details. I would love someone to go lay eyes on it.

ffips, no email yet. Did you send?

Thanks guys. orc

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Just sent, had to dig up info. Coming from work email address.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post