SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just heard R. Lee Ermey passed away
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just heard R. Lee Ermey passed away Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Bummer. RIP Gunny.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Met him at the 2012 Shot Show. He was doing a meet and greet at one of our distributors.
My wife was more excited than I was.
All she wanted was to give him a kiss on the cheek and he said sure.
A true gentleman.
Rest in peace sir you will be missed.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Immensely enjoyed the characters he played but even more respected the person he was. God bless, Godspeed, and welcome to God's Marines Gunny.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure he would be authorized to stop and stay at Fiddlers Green. I hope to join him there. http://crossedsabers.blogspot..../fiddlers-green.html

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Gunny and thanks for all you did for the shooting community and veterans.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That's sad news. In addition to playing Sarge in the Toy Story movies (and games), one of my favorites of his more obscure roles was his portrayal of U.S. Marshall Brisco County, Sr., father of Bruce Campbell's Brisco County, Jr. He wasn't on screen long in the role, but his scene set up the premise for the show.

Rest in peace.

quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I also loved his character in The Siege of Firebase Gloria.

He also received a writing credit for writing additional lines for his character in that movie.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Nothing will replace Mail Call in my life. He was a great man, and an example of what the generation needs. He will be missed.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to read it this morning. RIP

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to the NRA convention a few years back when it was in Indy. I talked to a lot of people that were there that had talked to him, but we never saw him there. RIP
We did see and talk to Pigman. We also saw a couple other well knowns.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
He came to our airbase in Kuwait in 2003 as part of a USO event, but since there were around 5,000 Marines there to us 1,000 AF/ANG, I knew I would never even be able to get close so I didn't go to it, but saw pics and he was loving being surrounded by his fellow adoring Devil Dogs.

RIP, Gunny.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Nothing will replace Mail Call in my life. He was a great man, and an example of what the generation needs. He will be missed.

One of my favorite interactions in TV history was the episode when the Gunny was shooting his 1903 against the British chap (The Gunny kept calling him Churchill) with his Enfield. When the Gunny lost the competition he pulled out his Garand and showed Churchill what was what. Loved it!

Had the pleasure to meet him once. We lost a great one. God speed sir.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Blue skies Gunny. Your watch has ended. RIP.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him at the NRA convention years ago. Very approachable. Nice guy. Hilarious. He always added color to every role he played.

He got orders home.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Met him several times at shot show and NRA show. He was the real deal and one of us.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A true American. May God Bless.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Marine stood and faced God Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward Marine, How shall I deal with you? Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?" The Marine squared his shoulders and said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't Because those of us who carry guns Can't always be a saint. I've had to work most Sundays And at times my talk was tough, And sometimes I've been violent, Because the world is awfully rough. But, I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep...Though I worked a lot of overtime When the bills got just too steep. And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear, And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place Among the people here, They never wanted me around Except to calm their fears. If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand, I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand." There was a silence all around the throne Where the saints had often trod As the Marine waited quietly, For the judgment of his God.
"Step forward Marine, You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell."
Author: Sgt Joshua Helterbran

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Haven't been online or TV, shit, just heard. What a shame.

RIP Mr. Ermey. God's Speed.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
An iconic american becomes a legend. RIP Gunny.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post